• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Binky's Stasis- update page 12 (May 2017)

Thanks both. I'm super super stressed! I feel so drained now, but it was a relief that he made it through the GA.
poor coco was less than impressed with her trip to the vets with him though! Haha.

Thanks both. I'm super super stressed! I feel so drained now, but it was a relief that he made it through the GA.
poor coco was less than impressed with her trip to the vets with him though! Haha.

Poor Coco! I'm sure she's having treats for good behaviour :)

My amazing bunny Binky is doing amazing. After pestering him with his favourite dill this morning he finally gave in and ate some and since then I've not been able to stop him eating his herbs and veg. Had some dandelions and grass too. Not eaten any pellets yet but he's got missing teeth and hasn't been a big pellet eater for a while now. Also lots and lots of poos, infact his poos are the best they have been for a while! Very happy with him. Moving about and acting normal.

I've got an app on my iPad set up so I can spy on him from downstairs which I've been glued to! Haha.
Vets wanted him back for a check up tomorrow but if he continues to do well then I will be cancelling as I'm not risking stressing him out and messing his guts up again!

My amazing bunny Binky is doing amazing. After pestering him with his favourite dill this morning he finally gave in and ate some and since then I've not been able to stop him eating his herbs and veg. Had some dandelions and grass too. Not eaten any pellets yet but he's got missing teeth and hasn't been a big pellet eater for a while now. Also lots and lots of poos, infact his poos are the best they have been for a while! Very happy with him. Moving about and acting normal.

I've got an app on my iPad set up so I can spy on him from downstairs which I've been glued to! Haha.
Vets wanted him back for a check up tomorrow but if he continues to do well then I will be cancelling as I'm not risking stressing him out and messing his guts up again!

This is such good news Lavinia! :D

He's still doing well :) Photos of him and his newly bonded wifey Coco! :love:
56CC322F-CC79-4D52-8E35-51A5CA7D9C11_zps4lv7mg2u.jpg

F9AC8974-055E-4916-B536-E61B08332348_zpsrzejs25e.jpg

Hi everyone.
Hoping to pick some brains a bit!
So Binky is doing fairly well. He's eating again, albeit slowly and he's very fussy! He had finished all his meds, and we decided as he was eating to stop syringe feeds. Then his poos got smaller and infrequent again.
I wonder as he's missing a lot of his molars even without the spurs he obviously finds it harder to eat and this is why he is slower.
He won't entertain softened pellets, will eat a few guinea pig pellets (!) eats lots of veg but very slowly and picks at them. Will sometimes eat grass but it's hit and miss. Usually lives dandelions but again sometimes won't- same as plantain and other forage I get for them.
I've decided to top him up every day with a syringe feed which he tolerates.

He will eat museli food but he picks at it and it gives him loose stools so I've decided to stop feeding that now. I think it's far too sugary for him.

I'm thinking on asking the vets about if it's worth having him on permanent gut medication to help keep things moving for him. He's 8 and has a lot of fight left in him and I want to help him keep going as long as possible but I think he struggles because he has not many teeth left. I know the gut would get dependent on it and so would be something we would have to commit to for the rest of his life. Does anyone have an opinion on this or know any similar situations?

I'm open to any suggestions at all. Thanks again. You are all so helpful.

Hi everyone.
So Binky is doing fairly well. He's eating again, albeit slowly and he's very fussy! He had finished all his meds, and we decided as he was eating to stop syringe feeds. Then his poos got smaller and infrequent again.
I wonder as he's missing a lot of his molars even without the spurs he obviously finds it harder to eat and this is why he is slower.
He won't entertain softened pellets, will eat a few guinea pig pellets (!) eats lots of veg but very slowly and picks at them. Will sometimes eat grass but it's hit and miss. Usually lives dandelions but again sometimes won't- same as plantain and other forage I get for them.

He will eat museli food but he picks at it and it gives him loose stools so I've decided to stop feeding that now. I think it's far too sugary for him.

I'm thinking on asking the vets about if it's worth having him on permanent gut medication to help keep things moving for him. He's 8 and has a lot of fight left in him and I want to help him keep going as long as possible but I think he struggles because he has not many teeth left. I know the gut would get dependent on it and so would be something we would have to commit to for the rest of his life. Does anyone have an opinion on this or know any similar situations?

Have you tried crushing his pellet feed ?

If he would eat Fibafirst these can be crumbled up making them easy to eat

Do you grate/finely chop his veg ?

Personally I'd only want to give prokinetics on a permanent basis as a very last resort, but that is purely my unqualified opinion. Your Vet may disagree.

Have you tried crushing his pellet feed ?

If he would eat Fibafirst these can be crumbled up making them easy to eat

Do you grate/finely chop his veg ?

Personally I'd only want to give prokinetics on a permanent basis as a very last resort, but that is purely my unqualified opinion. Your Vet may disagree.
Thanks Jane. I've tried everything with his pellet food. He won't eat any other pellet except the odd few guinea pig ones (which I tried as a last resort!!) I literally have evey rabbit food for sale!
I don't need to chop or grate his veg he manages it well. Infact when I've grated carrot he won't eat it. (Not that he gets carrot often)

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

Hi Lavinia :wave:

Sorry to hear about Binky.

I think it's certainly a question I would be asking of my vet too. I know many rabbits, in all different sorts of circumstances, that are on permanent gut motility meds. His gut would not necessary become dependent on them, and you wouldn't have to increase the dosage with time.

Perhaps you could ask the vet if you could have ranitidine for him? That's a good one to safely have day after day and what I would begin with. It has some gut motility action and also protects the stomach lining.

Good luck xx

Hi Lavinia :wave:

Sorry to hear about Binky.

I think it's certainly a question I would be asking of my vet too. I know many rabbits, in all different sorts of circumstances, that are on permanent gut motility meds. His gut would not necessary become dependent on them, and you wouldn't have to increase the dosage with time.

Perhaps you could ask the vet if you could have ranitidine for him? That's a good one to safely have day after day and what I would begin with. It has some gut motility action and also protects the stomach lining.

Good luck xx
Thanks for the reply MightyMax. I was thinking of that too, I've called the vets today and awaiting a return call to discuss.
Thanks again xx

Back