• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best post op bedding ?

My bunny is off to have his neuter on Tuesday. :shock: :(

What would be the best bedding to use post op? i am thinking of getting some vetbed as i know Jolleyes sell it now.

Or is some other form of bedding better ?

Thanking you for any advice on this.

vet bed old towels with news papper under or an old banket are all good for poast opp buns oh and just have hay in his itter tray or and hay rack

I have never had a bunny neutered before so this is very nervewracking for me.

Any good post op tips ? things i need to check with the vet ? do they normally send buns home with any painkiller or antibiotics ?

I have had guinea pigs done in the past and touch wood they have come out ok, but as said this is a first for bunny!

just check that bun is eating and drinking and that his wound is clean and not red he wil have his pain killers and antibotics at the vets efore he comes home

ge thim his fave veg and food in

and ill be with you on tues day midnight black bun in siggey is going in to have exrays and he may not make it home agine

A boy's neuter op is alot less intrusive than a girl's spay op. He will have two small slit scars on his testicles.. hopefully they will use glue so there will be no visible stitches that he can chew but if there are stitches you will need to check that he doesnt eat them.
As said vetbed or towels or newspaper would be fine. Boys seem to bounce back alot faster than girls after thier op so i expect after one night he will be running around like crazy again. You will need to be sure he eats and drinks when you get him home. My vet didnt give me any meds for post op. Boys dont seem to suffer much pain after their op unlike the girls.
I hope the op goes ok.. let us know

It is a good idea to keep them quiet until next morning.

When our buns were neutered we kept the tv off, had low levels of lighting and soft music - quite romantic!! ......... Thinking about it, it is lucky there wasn't a human population explosion just when we got the bunny population under control! :lol: :lol:

Chris, I found that my male bun felt really sorry for himself the first night ..... but he might have learnt this from the o/h!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vetbed is always handy to have in case of illness, it washes well and lasts for ages.

I normally use wood shavings with newspaper, with plenty of hay. When mine were neutured, I got some shreaded paper from work, thought it would be cleaner and stop little bits getting into their stitches, worked quite well, although they gave me a bin liner full and took ages to use up! I don't have much storage space for bedding, this bag took up half my porch! Wood shavings are bit more compacted for storing!

I'd recommend having a snuggle-safe on hand, or a sock filled with dry rice or towels. You can microwave them and give them to the bun for warmth. They do like that after surgery.

Is he an indoor or an outdoor bun? I remember seeing elsewhere here that buns need to be kept inside after surgery. I'm not sure, as mine are indoors anyway.

My only boy came neutered, but my girls all needed to be tempted to eat. I had their favorite veggies on hand, and they prefered to have me hold their food for them. Same goes for hay. They mainly ignored it until I fed it too them one strand at a time. Spoiled buns!:roll:

Good luck for tuesday.... my little girls being done tomorrow and I am beside myself :s ... I just went to sainsburys and brough all of her favourite foods that she knows she cant resist. :)
Mine loves fleece andd towels so I am going to put them in her 2 fav spots... behind the sofa where its warm and quiet and then somewhere else... but knowing her she will probably choose to be under my bed among all my jumpers.. :)
Hope it goes well

Back