• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just about to adopt - any suggestions?

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of adopting 3 rabbits and hoping to bring them home over the next week.

The rabbits will be indoor/outdoor, so they'll bed inside and go out in a run in the garden during the day.

Can anyone advise what are the best products to purchase?

The rehome I am getting the buns from advises only wood based bedding. Does anyone have a recommendation for whether shavings or pellets?

Any preferred food choices, other than Timothy hay? 2 of the rabbits are 6 months old and the eldest is 1 year.

I'm a previous owner of several rabbits over several years, but haven't owned any for some time now and am not up to speed on current brands or products etc.

Many thanks.

Ahh what fun - adopting a trio. You'll have to share pics.

So they will be based indoors? I used carefresh or wood pellets in their litter trays, topped with loads of hay (check out www.timothyhay.co.uk if you haven't already) & a dried forage topper. Nuggets are science selective & I'd say they are generally well thought of, but ask at the rescue what they are on currently so you switch over gradually. same with greens / veggies. Ultimately you might want to have them on a diet of hay, forage, herbs & nuggets.

For their outside time advice would be different depending on whether they'll be free roam or have a run. free roam obviously requires a lot of supervision with risks of predation, escape & in the case of my dear late Joey absolutely refusing to come in sometimes. Further risk in Winter as its advised to not expose bunnies to extreme changes in temperature which is particular bad for their respiratory systems. Inside or out keep in youre mind rabbits love to chew so protect what you need to (chargers & cables are a favourite) for their & your sake & give them as much as possible to do (things to climb in, sit under, sit on top of, space to run & zoomie.

Back to litter trays (sorry I digressed some), underbed storage boxes work well - its likely all 3 will go off to the loo together, my trio did :love:

Shavings are not recommended. They can cause respiratory issues when in contact with urine, as well as the potential dust issue. There are lots of alternatives. I use hemp shiv (sold as horse bedding), plain (not scented or containing bicarb) paper based cat litter, or just newspaper under the hay in litter trays and bed areas. You don't need to cover the whole floor area - just something absorbent in the litter trays.

Hay is cheaper by the bale eg from equestrian suppliers. A standard 2 string bale will fit in a 240 litre wheely bin, kept somewhere shady. Old duvet covers are useful for trasporting them in to avoid mess. Hay should be the bulk of their diet. Pellets are not essential, but stick with what they are already on and swap slowly over a few weeks if you change brands. Meusli mixes are not recommended as they cause selective feeding and then dental issues, especially with multiple rabbits.

I assume that all the rabbits are neutered and vaccinated. They need an annual vaccination for myxo and RHD 1&2.

Enjoy your trio - they can be lots of fun.

Good sources of info:
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/
https://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/
https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/articles/free-food-for-rabbits

Welcome to the forum.
I recommend you obtain
a rabbit savvy vet in your area. The rehome may be able to recommend one.
Also, ask the rehome for any prior medical information, including records of spay and neuter.
Enjoy!

Back