• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benjy, a jaw abscess and stasis

Thanks! That's a big relief. Has put my mind at rest now. However, I've just gone downstairs and found he's wolfed a load of greens down, binkying 19 to the dozen, and is chasing the cat. Guess someone's feeling a lot better now!

the difference btwn. grass and hay is that hay can grind down their teeth, grass is too soft, so it can't grind down the teeth

the difference btwn. grass and hay is that hay can grind down their teeth, grass is too soft, so it can't grind down the teeth

That is not correct. Grass contains abrasive silicates that are very effective at wearing down teeth. It is probable that coarse, wild grasses are better than soft lawn grass, but the action of grazing is also important for even wear of the teeth.
Rabbits in the wild live on grass xx
http://www.vrra.org/dental.htm

this is interesting, I always thought the baby grass is not coarse enough, so it won't take down the molar. And the article even said it's the motion that largely responsible to take down the teeth

this is interesting, I always thought the baby grass is not coarse enough, so it won't take down the molar. And the article even said it's the motion that largely responsible to take down the teeth

Hi Happy Hopping. Re reading my reply it sounds a bit harsh. Sorry, it wasn't meant to be. I was in a bit of a hurry.
It's a bit of both, the silicates and the grazing action, i understand. I agree that soft new lawn grass is probably not as good as the long, coarse stuff: My 4 get a carrier bagful of 'wild type' grass daily, as well as eating my lawn and entire garden when I am there to supervise. It's great stuff. They always have lots of hay too :)

no biggie. I'm more interested in the accuracy of the article. I have to cross ref that w/ some of my rabbit medicine book to see if it's accurate

Luckily over the last couple of days, Benjy has now become a hay and grass conisseur, so fingers crossed, with the combination of all of them, his remaining teeth will give him no problems and I would say that he's now on to about 70% hay/grass, a few pellets and the rest being green leafy veg/corriander.

Seems pretty happy now. Saw the vet yesterday and have been taught how to inject his antibiotics at home, to save him getting stressed in the car and his abscess is going down nicely and is bright and cheerful.

Once again, thanks for everyone's help. Think it's definitely saved his life.:)

I have finished off my reading of the above. It seems Crossley is half-right. On p.173 of Dr. Hancourt-Brown's book, she did mention silicate phytoliths does microscratches.

But she also mentioned that in the wild rabbit area, that they "strip bark off trees and chew thru tree roots"

This support what I said, that some coarse material is needed to wear down the molars.

On a sidenote that neither of us has mentioned, she also said "the duration of feed intake might be more important than the hardness of feed as a determining factor in the rate of growth"

that he's now on to about 70% hay/grass, a few pellets and the rest being green leafy veg/corriander.

you have to gradually move down the amt. of green and move up the hay intake to 90%. Your bun's diet must compose of 90% hay. They need a huge amount of fiber. The remaining 10% is pellet, green, fruits and some treats.

Back