• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bella's been admitted today U/D My Beautiful girl has gone

Thanks everyone.

I miss her so much, when i went to the attic i just burst into tears cos shes not there anymore, shes gone.
I will never forget her pretty face. We have had her just over 7months, she had a happy life :) Im trying to remember the good times, when she was well and active.

Bella was due to have Xrays this afternoon and her blood work done. The Vets had tried everything to get her gut moving and to encourage her to eat, but she was refusing everything and the drugs werent working, my baby was slowing giving up. Bella had a seizure and passed away.

I am so distraught, ive never lost a bun before and im truely heartbroken.

We have spoken to the Vets about a PM and they are carrying out an autopsy on her stomach, as it is felt the problem lays here. I want to know why she passed.

Wish anth was here, feel so alone with this
:cry: :(

Last edited:
Im so sorry Nat what a terrible shock for you hun.Big hug to you.Sleep tight beautiful Bellaxxxx

Thanks everyone.

I miss her so much, when i went to the attic i just burst into tears cos shes not there anymore, shes gone.
I will never forget her pretty face. We have had her just over 7months, she had a happy life :) Im trying to remember the good times, when she was well and active.

Bella was due to have Xrays this afternoon and her blood work done. The Vets had tried everything to get her gut moving and to encourage her to eat, but she was refusing everything and the drugs werent working, my baby was slowing giving up. Bella had a seizure and passed away.

I am so distraught, ive never lost a bun before and im truely heartbroken.

We have spoken to the Vets about a PM and they are carrying out an autopsy on her stomach, as it is felt the problem lays here. I want to know why she passed.

:cry: :(

I always feel that I have to do all I can to find out 'why'.
It does not bring our beloved Bunny back but it may help us come to terms with our loss. It may also provide Vets with valuable insight to enable them to help other Buns in the future.

xx

I know it wont bring her back, no matter how much i wish it would.
I just want to know why she was so poorly. Just wish i had acted sooner and demanded tests to be done.

My OH doesnt agree with having a PM done, but i really need to know. Hopefully the autopsy on her stomach will tell us something

The Vet did say that with Bella not eating, that the drugs could of poisoned her liver?

xx

Last edited:
I know it wont bring her back, no matter how much i wish it would.
I just want to know why she was so poorly. Just wish i had acted sooner and demanded tests to be done.

My OH doesnt agree with having a PM done, but i really need to know. Hopefully the autopsy on her stomach will tell us something

xx

I suspect the problem *might* turn out to be post surgical (spay) adhesions. I have lost two Does in similar circumstances :cry:

The Vet did say that with Bella not eating, that the drugs could of poisoned her liver?

xx

Did he perhaps mean the painkillers she was on?

In rabbits with anorexia I believe liver function can begin to become compromised after as little as 8 hours which means it becomes more difficult to filter toxins from the body. Metacam and other NSAIDs are known to cause issues with rabbits whose liver function is already compromised and are therefor generally used with caution in such rabbits.

I doubt it was the actually cause of her death, but I guess it could be a contributing factor.

Did he perhaps mean the painkillers she was on?

In rabbits with anorexia I believe liver function can begin to become compromised after as little as 8 hours which means it becomes more difficult to filter toxins from the body. Metacam and other NSAIDs are known to cause issues with rabbits whose liver function is already compromised and are therefor generally used with caution in such rabbits.

The Vet had Bella on Oral Metacam at home for over a week, as they felt she may of been in pain with her teeth.

Yeah she said that the drugs and stimulants could of damaged her Liver.
She said they tried everything with her, but her gut wouldnt move.

Yeah i guess it could of.

Just wish i knew why she is gone :cry:

So sorry Nat :( Ive only just seen this thread hun *Hugs* If you need to talk hun im always here, thinking of you xXx

Bella does sound like Princess, she was fine for a few weeks then slowly went down hill, vet thought it was her teeth too. Vet then suspected Post spay complications. Only once the PM was done did we find out it was post spay and that her guts had closed in on themselves, she was so infected had they have operated they would have put her to sleep on the table. pts was the hardest decision Ive had to make.

Nat, for your own peace of mind I would go for the PM. You know you have done everything you could have for Bella and that she has had a good life with you.

I am so sorry.

Binky Free Bella

Thanks.
Were having an autopsy done on her stomach so i guess this should give us some insight.

I didnt have to make a decision for Bella, sadly she made it :( :cry:

What does it mean post spay complications?

Thanks.
Were having an autopsy done on her stomach so i guess this should give us some insight.

I didnt have to make a decision for Bella, sadly she made it :( :cry:

What does it mean post spay complications?

In the two Does I lost they developed adhesions after their spays. Basically internal scar tissue formed. In one case it caused a GI obstruction, in the other the bladder was badly effected.
Adhesions are a possibility after any type of surgery on any animal or human. But I believe that the calcium metabolism of Rabbits makes them a higher risk than some other species.

The Doe I lost who obstructed had 2 subsequent ops to try to remove the adhesions. But of course opening her up just caused more adhesions to form. I vowed never to put a Rabbit through that sort of 'corrective' surgery again.
Thankfully thus far I have not had to face a similar problem.

Thanks so much Jane.
You have made things clearer and easier for me to understand throughout this with Bella.

We are awaiting a phone call from the Vets regarding the autopsy.

My OH is away and he has phoned them as i cant face it again today :(

Thanks Jane, you explained it better than I could have. And I didn't know about the calcium.

In Princess, the infection had spread around her body, creating large puss filled deposits around her stomach and guts, creating the obstruction.

Back