• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding

igorm

New Kit
Hello once again. :)

Basically I have question about bedding (as you already guessed).

Today I have cleaner Frosty's cage and replaced her usual wood shaving bedding (finish reading before judging) to some random scent free wood shavings that I bought in Sainsbury's (I think it was Bob Martin) and she completely freaked out, she was trying to drink and eat from outside the cage (as she is free to walk around the room) and jump from the entrance of the cage to the plastic "house" inside the cage to eat (doing her best not to touch the bedding), was trying to drink (standing on the bedding) but ran off straight away. After which I gave her food and water outside the cage and started researching about wood shavings and found out that they are bad for the rabbits. So I quickly changed the bedding to Timothy Hay (everything I had left, will go to the shop tomorrow). She still does not like it, tries to jump straight from the entrance to the house, sometimes goes down to chew on the hay and drink, but I can see she doesn't enjoy it. Previously we had Beaphar wood shavings, yes I know they are scented but at the time of purchase I was concerned that they will irritate Frosty, but was convinced by a salesman that they are alright. We have been using them for about 2-3 weeks and she seemed comfortable, we didn't even think about bedding that much until today.

So the question is - what bedding should I get? I know wood shavings are bad (at least that's what some people say, other say it is fine) (depends on the trees it is made from), especially scented ones, but she was comfortable with them. (But again, we have never seen her lying down on them, only on that "house", when she is inside, or on the box under the bed, or on the carpet outside the cage). Hay is harmless - but she is not comfortable and it is messy, since she doesn’t use litter box anymore...

Sorry if it is all presented in a confusing matter, I am too tired to sort it out :D

Last edited:
Could you please help me to make a decision, I have to change her bedding asap, as the hay is getting all messy.

Hay is a great bedding material so why don't you try just lining her cage (assume it's an indoor cage) with newspaper and placing some hay in one corner. Once she's got used to the newspaper then you could increase the hay. Other people use newspaper covered with fleece which you then just wash in the washing machine once it's wet/dirty.

You could even use newspaper as the absorbant base and then cover it with an old towel?

I dont really use bedding as such...I use underbed storage boxes with megazorb in the bottom and then loads of hay ontop :thumb: that way they eat/poop/pee all in the same place and it makes cleaning up much much easier!! :thumb:

I don't like newspaper, because first of all, arent ink toxic? And secondly, it doesnt absorb much, and it smells straight after she uses the toilet..

Never liked the idea of her eating the same hay as she pees in + you cant really see where she goes to the toilet and it is hard to litter train her with hay (with woodshavings she used to use only litter and sometimes hay for peeing).

I Would like to find a good alternative for the woodshavings, for bedding to be soft, fine and light coloured, so you could see what areas she uses.

I am considering gettin vetbed and lay it inside the cage, since she LOVES lying on the carpet. Placing litter in the corner as it is now with litter filling of some sort. Would that work, or is she going to ruin it too fast?

Some safe beddings are auboise (very similar to shavings but made from hemp), megazorb or carefresh, cardboard beddings such as ecobed or finacard.

Vetbed is a good washable bedding but you would still want something underneath it for absorbacy I think...I use it in my carriers and as 'carpet' on the shelves in the buns sheds!

I would try aubiose, it's very much like woodshavings but totally animal-friendly and it's more absorbent.

It looks a bit rough compared too shavings, but its actually pretty soft. I used it for lots of bunnies and they are all fine with it.

Then I will go get aubiose and will check it out. Thank you very much for your adivce.

P.S. Will still get vetbed and put it somewhere nice outside the cage.

Back