• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rehomed: Beautiful pair of Harlequin girls (Kirkby Pet Welfare)...almost 4 years in rescue

I just can't believe these girls are still in rescue, they are so so pretty. I have often thought of them, and really thought they would have been rehomed years ago. :cry:

Do you know if they can be insured?

There's no reason why not. With Petplan, the policy has to start before a rabbit's fifth birthday. These girls are coming up to 4 years old, so wouldn't be excluded on age.

Apart from the one infected eye, these two bunnies haven't had any health issues, so there aren't any pre-existing medical issues to be excluded from cover.

Last edited:
Poor girls :( Do they even have names yet? :cry:

None of the Kirkby rabbits have names. :( Celia runs the rescue on her own with the help of a small number of volunteers. She cares for a huge number of rabbits, the numbers never go down as there is always a queue of rabbits waiting to come in. On days where she has no volunteer help, the feeding and cleaning out will take her all day. So whilst naming rabbits is important to people like you and me, for Celia it's not so important as she has to concentrate all her energy and efforts on the practical aspects of running the rescue.

Saying that though, there are sometimes rabbits who do end up with names.....mainly because of their characters. Fang for instance.....as his name suggests, it's not advisable to offer your hand for him to sniff. :lol: He does like people and enjoys being around people, but he just doesn't understand that it's not nice to bite. There was angora rabbit there a short while ago, who Poly (Antigone) adopted, and Celia always called him Hairy Horace. :lol:

I saw these on FB and was contemplating enquiring but then Sandra informed me of Vince :D... I can't believe they still need a home. Beautiful girls x :love:

Is this Kirkby in Merseyside???? if so, it's not far from me!!!!!!! :love::love::love:

Nope, it's the other Kirkby, doh :oops:

Ok, someone help me out here... just supposing, I said SUPPOSING!!! :lol: these two girlies were to be offered a home where there are two very bonded buns with ongoing special care needs, what are the chances of a negative knock-on affect to the current buns? And what about outside, would they likely ever all mix, or would I, I mean would someone have to divide the back yard up to keep the two pairs seperate? And how much do these wendy house thingummy's cost? Would it matter that it is a yard, and not a garden with grass?
Just another thought, my geography is dire... How close is Nottingham to Oxford?
Would it be safe to spey these girlies?

Oh, and how big are the little ******* anyway :D :D

Nope, it's the other Kirkby, doh :oops:

Ok, someone help me out here... just supposing, I said SUPPOSING!!! :lol: these two girlies were to be offered a home where there are two very bonded buns with ongoing special care needs, what are the chances of a negative knock-on affect to the current buns? And what about outside, would they likely ever all mix, or would I, I mean would someone have to divide the back yard up to keep the two pairs seperate? And how much do these wendy house thingummy's cost? Would it matter that it is a yard, and not a garden with grass?
Just another thought, my geography is dire... How close is Nottingham to Oxford?
Would it be safe to spey these girlies?

Oh, and how big are the little ******* anyway :D :D

Hi :wave:

It's impossible to say whether adding another two girlies into the mix would affect the bond of your current two as it depends on the personalities involved. These two girls are very gentle and are used to having and seeing other rabbits living either side of them, through the mesh of their run, so being in close proximity to other buns doesn't bother them, but I don't know how your current bunnies would feel. People do have larger groups of bunnies living happily together, but it is down to the personalities involved.

They wouldn't necessarly need a wendy house, I just put the pics on as someone asked where I kept my trio of girls (who are half-sisters to these two). As mentioned in previous posts, these were a trio, but sadly one of them passed away a number of months ago. They are average sized bunnies, they're about the same size as my three girls, so I'd say they would be around the 2.8kg mark.

The fact that they would not have access to grassed areas isn't a problem at all. The main thing is that they have a safe and secure place to live and space to run around and play. There are lots of people who keep bunnies who do not have grassed areas. I grow meadow grasses and wild plants in pots for my rabbits to nibble.

There is no reason not to spay. Of course, with every op there are risks, but in the case of spaying, the risk from the op is outweighed by the benefits of being free from the possibility of developing of uterine cancer.

The distance is not a problem as I would be prepared to drive them myself to the right forever home. This isn't something I could do for every rabbit, but these two girls are very special to me :love: and I would love to see them finally find a permanent loving home......and have their own names. :love:

Lost my baby girl unexpectedly last week, which made me question whether or not I could put myself through it all again. But stories like this break my heart, every rabbit deserves to be cherished in a forever home.

Tracy if you do find a home for them but need some help moving them I'm happy to help out, don't know why, but the idea of them not having a name is just so heartbreaking.

Right... Im taking my two to visit their vet in Southport tomorrow evening, so while I'm there I will ask his advice on bringing two more bunningtons into the fold :D
Benjamin would be the main point of concern here, as due to his brain damage and the problems he still sometimes gets from this, stress is always a big big concern. When Benj goes down, he goes down hard and fast unfortunately, and a numbr of times his life has been in the balance. BUT, he did take very well to Marge, and once he'd got over his dominance status (Im going to hump you till those lop ears of yours stand up like semaphor flags) I couldn't have wished for a happier outcome.
Milly-Flop and Molly-Pop (I cant bear to refer to them as 'those two buns :( ) would be adored here, and if the vet thinks it shouldn't affect Benjamin to the point of risk, then I would happily take them in. Im used to having a little one eyed bun aswel, my little Marge only has one eye. With Benjamin being deaf, I call my two 'hear no evil' and 'See no evil' :lol: Dosent stop the little :censored: getting up to plenty of evil though :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Right... Im taking my two to visit their vet in Southport tomorrow evening, so while I'm there I will ask his advice on bringing two more bunningtons into the fold :D
Benjamin would be the main point of concern here, as due to his brain damage and the problems he still sometimes gets from this, stress is always a big big concern. When Benj goes down, he goes down hard and fast unfortunately, and a numbr of times his life has been in the balance. BUT, he did take very well to Marge, and once he'd got over his dominance status (Im going to hump you till those lop ears of yours stand up like semaphor flags) I couldn't have wished for a happier outcome.
Milly-Flop and Molly-Pop (I cant bear to refer to them as 'those two buns :( ) would be adored here, and if the vet thinks it shouldn't affect Benjamin to the point of risk, then I would happily take them in. Im used to having a little one eyed bun aswel, my little Marge only has one eye. With Benjamin being deaf, I call my two 'hear no evil' and 'See no evil' :lol: Dosent stop the little :censored: getting up to plenty of evil though :lol:

Look forward to hearing from you. :wave:

Milly & Molly really suits them. :love:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just letting you guys know that these two gorgeous girls will be coming to live with me :D As long as the home check pans out my lovely Logan will have not one but two beautiful new wifey buns!!
I noticed these girls ages ago and couldn't stand thinking about them waiting so long for a home. I just can't wait to finally meet them!!

Just letting you guys know that these two gorgeous girls will be coming to live with me :D As long as the home check pans out my lovely Logan will have not one but two beautiful new wifey buns!!
I noticed these girls ages ago and couldn't stand thinking about them waiting so long for a home. I just can't wait to finally meet them!!

Yay!!! That's amazing, am so glad they are finding a home :love::love::love::love::love:

The important bit is, have you thought of some names for them yet? After all this time they need the best names in the world :D

Back