• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bear - Low Temperature / Stasis

Chrisrules334

Warren Scout
Hello all,

Bear is back in the vets today, was lethargic and not eating this morning.

Tests show low temperature (c. 35.4) & appears to have a slower than expected heart rate. I am unsure of the cause. Vets are giving him metacam, syringe feed/fluids & trying to bring his temperature up.

Hopefully he recovers quickly, starting a thread as you guys were helpful last time he was in the vets! Fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear that he is unwell again. A low temperature and slow heart rate is a very worrying symptom, so it is good that he is with the Vets. I hope that he will respond to treatment and that the Vet can establish what the primary cause of his recurrent episodes of gut stasis could be. Hopefully when the Vet gets him more clinically stable he/she will run some diagnostics.

Sending lots of positive vibes for Bear. It is so worrying when our furries are ill, yet you got him to vets quickly, so he has the best chance of making a full recovery. I hope you can get some rest while he is at vets.

Thanks both, hopefully, like you said he's in the right place.

No vet has identified the causes of his stasis, the symptoms that come along with it always differ. Hopefully if he's warmed up he'll respond to treatment.

See how this episode goes.

Sending lots of vibes for your Bear. I hope the vet can establish what the problem is.

Good first update from vet. He's back to normal temperature (38ish) and seems more alert. Not eaten yet. But going in the right direction. Next update tomorrow.

Early vet suspicion that he may, in his "old" (near 6 yrs) age be struggling with the outdoor temp. To be confirmed but will give them much more bedding and use snugglesafe at higher temperatures than we usually would. They have a good sheltered hutch with blanket and waterproof cover to keep wind out.

I'm glad he is doing better. 6 isn't old but regardless, if he is struggling with outside temps your plan off snugglesafes is a good one. Straw filled boxes are good. Straw is a better insulator apparently

I am glad that he appears to be responding to treatment. Personally I would still be minded to request at least a full blood profile is taken to check his kidney and liver function.Rabbits with renal problems can struggle to maintain their body temperature. Given that this isn’t his first episode of being unwell with no definitive diagnosis I would be reluctant to accept ‘old age’ as a reason , 6 isn’t old.

I am glad that he appears to be responding to treatment. Personally I would still be minded to request at least a full blood profile is taken to check his kidney and liver function.Rabbits with renal problems can struggle to maintain their body temperature. Given that this isn’t his first episode of being unwell with no definitive diagnosis I would be reluctant to accept ‘old age’ as a reason , 6 isn’t old.

Great point.

I am glad to hear he has improved.

We got Bear back home yesterday morning. Didn't get chance for them to take bloods. We are taking them back in a couple of weeks (give him a chance to chill out...) for vaccines. So may ask for them to test bloods then if they're willing.

There is a chance the bedding wasn't great in his hutch, they have a closed area where they can snuggle down, but the more open upper section of the hutch they fight any form of bedding and actively just push it down the ramp. Temperatures here did go from c. 15+c to low single digits so that might have triggered it too.

He's back and well now though so fingers crossed.

We got Bear back home yesterday morning. Didn't get chance for them to take bloods. We are taking them back in a couple of weeks (give him a chance to chill out...) for vaccines. So may ask for them to test bloods then if they're willing.

There is a chance the bedding wasn't great in his hutch, they have a closed area where they can snuggle down, but the more open upper section of the hutch they fight any form of bedding and actively just push it down the ramp. Temperatures here did go from c. 15+c to low single digits so that might have triggered it too.

He's back and well now though so fingers crossed.

I am glad that Bear is feeling better. I would definitely make sure that you are registered with a Rabbit Savvy Vet for future consultations though. I say this because of the Vet’s comment related to 6 being old for a Rabbit. This link gives you tips about how to identify a Rabbit Savvy Vet

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-welfare-association-fund/our-work/rabbit-friendly-vets/

Oh good point, will ask for the rabbit savvy one when we book jabs. I don't think we had too much choice when he went in as it was their emergency slot

Back