• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bear - Low Temperature / Stasis (again)

Chrisrules334

Warren Scout
Hello all,

Unfortunately Bear is back in the vets. He's a very sensitive boy it seems.

He had stopped eating for a few hours and looked very unhappy in the hutch. Took him to the vets,

Temp was 35.8c, gut was quiet. Apparently he had a small cut in his mouth where it looked like he bit it (opposite side to where his spurs are).

He's there now getting Metacam and Emeprid with fluids etc to keep him going. Think there's syringe feeding going on too.

They've taken bloods and most things are "normal" some marginally low and some marginally high. Apparently his cholesterol is low which is consistent with his last bloods. She said that was consistent with liver issues but that his other symptoms were not.

Hopefully he recovers quickly. He usually does...

Sending Bear lots of vibes. I hope he improves soon. It maybe worth asking your vet whether he should have his spurs done, although I realise the cut was on the opposite side.

He had anaesthetic and spurs done last July so I'm surprised he has them again already.

Is there a less invasive procedure they can do to sort them out?

He had anaesthetic and spurs done last July so I'm surprised he has them again already.

Is there a less invasive procedure they can do to sort them out?

I think this is something you should discuss with your vet when you collect Bear. Last July is 6 months ago and some rabbits will need a dental that often. Also whilst diet is extremely helpful in preventing spurs, sometimes it's also the shape of the rabbits jaw, which could lead to misalignment of the teeth and so they don't wear down effectively.

6 months between dentals is pretty good, in my experience. Spurs need to be burred down rather than clipped off, to avoid damage to the rest of the tooth. A GA is needed to allow access to the teeth at the back of the mouth, and to avoid stress to the rabbit. It's difficult to even see the back teeth properly in a conscious rabbit. They certainly can't be accessed for any procedures without a GA.

The only thing you can do to help is make sure that everything in the diet contributes to wearing the teeth down, so hay or grass with little else. Some rabbits are just prone to dental issues due to breed (short faced or lop ears tend to have more dental issues), genetics or ageing (where the teeth go out of alignment and don't wear down properly).

Sounds as though Dental problems are likely to be the primary problem of his repeated gut stasis. Is the Vet proposing to do another Dental once Bear has been stabilised and his GI tract motility has improved ? It is impossible to view 100% of the oral cavity of a conscious Rabbit and a thorough Dental examination and treatment always requires a GA

Information about Rabbit Dental issues here

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

Any period of anorexia will effect liver function. So the blood abnormalities are probably due to gut stasis, not to a liver problem in itself being a cause of the gut stasis.

Did the Vet mention blood glucose levels ?

Thanks all,

Yeah he's a short faced dwarf lop with floppy ears so ticks all the boxes for dental issues (rescued from RSPCA).

The vet did worry us a bit when explaining the dental procedure last time (high risk etc). But if we need to get them done more regularly we'll look to sort it.

They do check them but say there's no visual signs in the mouth of rubbing/cuts etc, though there was one the other day on the side opposite to his spurs.

Awaiting morning update

Thanks all,

Yeah he's a short faced dwarf lop with floppy ears so ticks all the boxes for dental issues (rescued from RSPCA).

The vet did worry us a bit when explaining the dental procedure last time (high risk etc). But if we need to get them done more regularly we'll look to sort it.

They do check them but say there's no visual signs in the mouth of rubbing/cuts etc, though there was one the other day on the side opposite to his spurs.

Awaiting morning update

High risk of anaesthetic I presume? Always a risk obviously, but risk can be minimised by a competent vet and protective procedures when operating eg fluids.

Thanks all,

Bear has come home today after another night in the vets. We kept him there just so he returned to full health a bit more before we put him back outside.

I have discussed the possibility of dentals once he has recovered fully and will give them a call to discuss at a future date. They aren't the most rabbit savvy vets ever but there is one "RWAF Silver" one there so may ask for her to do them in a month or so. Omi - yeah it's the high risk from anaesthetic which worries us!

Thanks all,

Bear has come home today after another night in the vets. We kept him there just so he returned to full health a bit more before we put him back outside.

I have discussed the possibility of dentals once he has recovered fully and will give them a call to discuss at a future date. They aren't the most rabbit savvy vets ever but there is one "RWAF Silver" one there so may ask for her to do them in a month or so. Omi - yeah it's the high risk from anaesthetic which worries us!

Glad you've got your Bear home :love: It might be a good idea to ask for a discussion with the RWAF Silver vet regarding a dental and then if you feel confident, to book with them. Tragedies can happen with anaesthetics, but there are lots of things that can be done to minimise the risks and I would discuss this with the vet. For instance fluid therapy can be given, a blood test before the op can determine whether his organs are all working as they should and making sure that he is properly fed before the anaesthetic.

Thanks, I will do. He's eating a lot and happy again.

At what point do we decide to do the spurs? At the moment they're causing no visual lacerations etc do his mouth so don't want to take too much risk with anaesthetic if they're not causing the issue.

How often do dwarf lops (age 6) tend to need them doing?

Thanks, I will do. He's eating a lot and happy again.

At what point do we decide to do the spurs? At the moment they're causing no visual lacerations etc do his mouth so don't want to take too much risk with anaesthetic if they're not causing the issue.

How often do dwarf lops (age 6) tend to need them doing?

I have a dwarf lop who started with dental problems at about 4-5 years. She started having dentals every few weeks, then months & I think its now been a full 2 years (so I don't see her as a dental bun anymore). Thats not to brag but give hope. I've also had an uppy earred bun who had one dental at 4 years, one at 8, died at almost 11 (from cancer). Throughout his life vets noted he had minor spurs but it was only the twice he needed them rasping . Personally I think its about how much time you can spend observing him, ensure he is eating, keep eye on food preferences changing, weight loss & massively important as assessment tool - monitor poop quality. My buns who have needed dentals had classical symptoms but boo didnt at all. I do think house buns must be way easier to monitor

I'd have a chat with the named rabbit person at the silver accredited place & see what their thoughts are

Pleased Bear is home

I would weigh the dental rabbit weekly and act when there has been a steady drop over a couple of weeks, or sooner if there's a dramatic change.

Back