• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Basil lopping? I FOUND THE CAUSE :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he is on painkillers and babyfood, is that all? If he has FBS would he not need potassium....? Did I miss something again? :oops:

I am giving him tomatos for the potassium, am i right in thinking bannanas contain potassium and if so are they opk fopr bunnies?

Beth I am not picking on you but have you really taken him to the vets? :?

Please be honest as the advice people are giving you could make all the difference to Bazil and it may differ if he has not seen a vet.

Beth,
If he has FBS he will also need extra vitamin E as bunnies suffering from it have also shown a lack in this vitamin. I`ve also found giving tomato juice is better than just feeding tomatoes, as then you`ll know he`s getting a decent amount in him.
You will also need to give him physio several times a day to keep his muscles working whilst he`s so weak.

Su.x

Nix said:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=571136#571136

:? :? :? :? :?

IF you read all the topic you will know that baz is not dying in my arms right now, and then you will see that he is in an indoor cage and right now he is sleeping on his blanket :love:

cavysrock said:
Nix said:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=571136#571136

:? :? :? :? :?

IF you read all the topic you will know that baz is not dying in my arms right now, and then you will see that he is in an indoor cage and right now he is sleeping on his blanket :love:

Exactly Nix!

cavysrock said:
It is the first sign of FBS, may he rest in peace :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Beth, how on earth can you possible say 'may he rest in peace' as if he is literally on his last legs and then complain when someone says they've noticed you're making other posts about stuff :?

I know you tend to over dramatise things but to say rest in peace is taking it a bit far don't you when he's STILL ALIVE :roll:

i didn't mean to say rest in peace :shock: I thought he was dying, but luckily god let the little guy make ut :love:

all i was saying was if they read everything maybe they would know what is going on:roll:

ANYWAY i just tried syringe feedibg baz tomato juice and he loves it

Beth i'm so sorry Bazil is ill, and i do hope he gets better whatever he has.
sending vibes to you both!!!!
poor little guy, i'm glad to hear he loves eating and drinking tomatoes and juice :love:

Beebop said:
Well if he has use of his hind legs, then surely it can't be FPS.....? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought FPS ONLY affected the hind legs.....

You say he can hop like mad, yet say he is flumped over the floor?
my Flopsy died of floppy Bunny syndrome, and it affected her whole body, and she was 6 years old. i don't know if that was a one off but my vets seemed to think it was normal.

If it's FBS then the best and quickest treatment would be for the vet to give a shot of potasium. The other 'treatments' like vit E and tomarto would rely on him ingesting enough quantity and for his guts to be in good working order to process it for it to make it into the blood stream. Why bother with that when they can give him a shot which will be absorbed much faster??

What did the vet actually diagnose him with? A painkiller isn't treatment for FBS. As far as I'm aware FBS isn't painful it causes muscle weekness.

FBS makes them floppy so he should be in a relaxed position. If he's holding his head twisted back/to one side that's not FBS - that's an ear infection. Treatment for that may include painkillers but also neds antibiotics asap.

Put together with the sudden ear lop, an ear infection is a strong posibility. Even if the vet thought it was FBS, they couldn't rule out an ear infection so should have treated for that too. The only way to make a firm diagnosis on potasium deficiency would be a blood test. Otherwise they need to treat all the possibilities.

I suggest going back to the vet. Painkillers aren't cures they are just designed to alleviate the symptoms.

Tam

I dont know you cavysrock, but to be perfectly honest, assuming what you post is credible, and I cant think of any reason why is wouldnt be...

But I think the way that some people have responded to you and your recent post is disgusting. And I really hope that the moderating team has contacted them about this.

I hope your bun is ok. good luck at the vet tomorrow.

i totally agree there have been a LOT OF VERY rude people on here. cavys comes on here for advice and to let people know wat vet has said and then people basically are accusing her of lying and of the vet not doing his job correctly!!! because of course we are all much more intelligent than a fully qualified vet in this matter :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back