• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Basil lopping? I FOUND THE CAUSE :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
lack of potasium, cold, really cramped conditions (i think it might of been the cold as i found him in a differant compartment of his hutch to his snuggle safe) i'm not sure what else causes it

omg but my bunny was 3mths wen we got him n he has one ear lopped
135_3502.jpg

we had a foster with potassium deficiency....apparently tomato, juice, whole or puree can help, he still has a tomato every week and had it as a baby....

i give holly and baz a tomatoe a wek each aswell, they LOVE them, at the moment Baz is eating some wet pellets with aplle puree baby food on top, which i'm guessing is a good thing???

Yep....can you get any tomato down him? Liquorice was syringe fed it when he was ill....the vets didnt expect him to recover and wanted to PTS but 48 hours later he was amazingly better. :D

ooh, i'll try that now, would it be ok to up the amount of pellets he has as you can feel all his bones really clearly, he usually has half a bowl a day like Holly, and she is a rather chubby rabbit?

My rule with sick bunnies is whatever they will eat give it to them....they need to keep their strenght up.

Im not promising an amazing cure with the tomato but its worth a try.

the vet said there wasn't really anything they could give them TBH our vet is a cat and dog vet and only does rabbits and guinea pigs no hamsters, rats etc, i don't think they are very well educated.

Baz just grabbed the tomato and is scoffing it down, he looks much better scince this morning. :D

Floppy bunny sydrome is purely caused by a potassium deficiency, nothing else. It is more commonly foound in babies, and if you feed tomatoes each week, as well as good quality pellets, I highly doubt that is what he has. Also, surely Holly would have shown signs if it was due to a lack of potassium. It also from what I gathered, affects the legs.

As for the cold, buns are pretty resistant to it, unless the hutch is in a drafty place where rain can soak them, or they have insufficient food in cold weather. It will not cause FPS though.

I would also guess lack of space could easily cause temporary paralysis, as in hamsters. What size is his cage?

From what you described, it sounds more like wry neck (head tilt). Is his head still twisted to one side beth? Your vet doesn't sound like they have a clue, if it is a head tilt, feeding tomato juice will be of little use. Also, feeding apple baby food, is of no use if he has FPS anyway, is that what the vet recommended?

it's hard to tell if he has a head tilt as he is flumped all over the floor :?

he can stand up on his hind legs in his hutch, and hop around like mad, i'll messure it in a minute, his legs seem to cross over aswqell

which vet did he see Beth?

I'm sure most vets would have administered some treatment... :? fingers crossed for Baz

Well if he has use of his hind legs, then surely it can't be FPS.....? Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought FPS ONLY affected the hind legs.....

You say he can hop like mad, yet say he is flumped over the floor?

oh, sorry misread :oops:

So what about the answers to my other question and honeybunny? :) I don't think I have a clear pic of whats going on...

its ok cavys people sometimes are convinced they know better than u even tho its u that has recently taken bunny to vets and you that head the poxy vet speak

whjat other questions? :oops:

and the vets gave him a painkiller injection, i ned to take him back in a couple of days, hopefully not on the smae day as mungo :shock: although the vet said he probably wasn't in pain, just discomfort at not being able to move properly

rianne23 said:
its ok cavys people sometimes are convinced they know better than u even tho its u that has recently taken bunny to vets and you that head the poxy vet speak

I know :D
but they are just concerend for bazil

actually Rianne we are all just concerned for Baz as it seems the vet has let both him and Beth down in not giving any treatment..
so don't jump to the wrong conclusions :?

ah just seen Beth you now say he's had a painkiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back