• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey - upset tummy please any advice

bunnies can **** yes :wave:

When my bun Mae was suffering from bloat she did some nasty farts ;)

She also produced piles of the poo you are describing, these were mucousy. Does she have any mucouse (sorry about my spelling) in her poo at all?

If you arent ready to do bood tests I think I would put her on a hay ony diet and add some pro biotic (like biolapis) to her water and see how things go :wave:

Thanks for all the replies, the vet gave her a strong gut motility injection and she has fibreplex and panacur incase of any worms, hopefully she will start eating pellets and produce some better droppings tonight, ill keep you all updated, thanks for your help :)

hi guys, just an update on bailey, she wont eat anything other than grass, dandilions, parsley and a bit of hay...shes only doing very small droppings and not drinking very much...i dont know whats wrong with her neather do the vets, she needs to start eating pellets again...its like her digestive system is just completey messed up, any advice x

she now wont take fibreplex ether if its wrapped in a mint leaf or parsley and gets really distressed when syringed...

i dont know if it will help, but casper trys to eat lots of grass when he has a bad tummy, i feed him dried apple leaves and bramble leaves which when he has a bad tum he scoffs down! I think he feels he needs more fibre, It may not help but i thought it may be worth seeing if thats what your bun fancys to eat? somtimes they know what they need :) xx

thanks for the reply, she is hungry but she just wont eat pellets or basically any fibre, do you mean bramble leaves straight from a bramble bush?

thanks for the reply, she is hungry but she just wont eat pellets or basically any fibre, do you mean bramble leaves straight from a bramble bush?

yup :) thumps_ has taught me and casper alot about leaves and they have helped casper so so much, casper has to have a high dose of metacam each day and this made his poop runny, but with apple leaves and bramble leaves he now has big golden poops :) Try to get some that are not near car fumes, and i usally wash them then dry them out either on and nice day or in the airing cupboard to make them nice and crunchy :D also pets at home do a bag of apple leaves which i have been getting untill the hawthorn and willow leaves come out for casper :) As casper has dental issues this is why he has them dry but your bun may like them fresh :) also apple sticks are somthing casper enjoys when he has a bad tum too :)

Last edited:
thanks,
im just very worried shes not picking up at the moment, shes no longer having any runny droppings, just small ones, she seems quite lethargic aswell a the moment, she literally will not eat any pellets or much hay, just fresh grass, parsley etc...has anyone experianced this before?

thanks,
im just very worried shes not picking up at the moment, shes no longer having any runny droppings, just small ones, she seems quite lethargic aswell a the moment, she literally will not eat any pellets or much hay, just fresh grass, parsley etc...has anyone experianced this before?

Its sounds very much like casper when his tums unstable, he would rather eat grass and apple leaves then anything else, but usally he would pick his pellets rather then anything else. Is she going back for a check up at the vets tomo? xx

im going to phone them and ask for another gut motility injection to be adminsterd by a nurse so i dont have to pay a consultation (they offerd this friday but for her to go back saturday for it)...ive paid them £120 this week and Bailey is still no better than before she went to see them, and shes had an unnessisary dental and anesthetic from them now (bit p***ed off at them to be honest) :(
im pretty sure the next step is blood tests and xrays, as she is still eating somthing though and passing droppings im hoping shes going to pick up once i manage to get her to eat pellets...

im going to phone them and ask for another gut motility injection to be adminsterd by a nurse so i dont have to pay a consultation (they offerd this friday but for her to go back saturday for it)...ive paid them £120 this week and Bailey is still no better than before she went to see them, and shes had an unnessisary dental and anesthetic from them now (bit p***ed off at them to be honest) :(
im pretty sure the next step is blood tests and xrays, as she is still eating somthing though and passing droppings im hoping shes going to pick up once i manage to get her to eat pellets...

o no :( seems you have been having a hard time this week! did they not x ray before dental? when poppy had suspected root tooth abcess she was x rayed and her teeth checked before dental.

Its good her poops are forming better now, if the are small i would try somthing like apple or bramble leaves :) worth a try, have you also tried putting warm water on the pellets, casper likes this when he is feeling poorly ;)

is at a moulting season at the moment? begining to think maybe a hair ball or somthing?

poppys moulting lots :) do you brush her regually getting all that dead coat out? poppy has a ver thick coat, when she is moulting, i use a rubber grooming mitt and stroke her to get all that dead coat out so she doesnt groom it out and eat hair, is there any signs of hair in her poops?. May be worth asking the vet tomo :)

no...no signs of hair in poops :? im hoping shes just had a mild bout of stasis and is still recovering...the thing is, we dont know whats caused this...at all, which is making me worried theres an underlying health issue...i think im just goin to have to try everything i can to get her to start eating pellets or a larger amount of hay tomoro and see how she is

no...no signs of hair in poops :? im hoping shes just had a mild bout of stasis and is still recovering...the thing is, we dont know whats caused this...at all, which is making me worried theres an underlying health issue...i think im just goin to have to try everything i can to get her to start eating pellets or a larger amount of hay tomoro and see how she is

o bless her, the positive news is she is still eating and pooping! I hope the vets are able to find somthing to explain why she is so off pellets and small poops, she hasnt eaten anything different or been under any stress (except the vets ofcourse)

no, no stress as far as i know, the only time anything could of happend was when she was out in the garden last week, she may of picked up a leaf or maybe a cat came along or somthing, but she would of got over that by now...

It could be dental issues as shes only eating soft things here.

It could be the beginnings of a related stasis episode.

If your vet has come to the end of his/her knowledge already, may i suggest you put a post in rabbit chat stating;

Rabbit Savvy Vet Required: <Insert Your Area Here>

Poor Bailey..more vibes.

no, no stress as far as i know, the only time anything could of happend was when she was out in the garden last week, she may of picked up a leaf or maybe a cat came along or somthing, but she would of got over that by now...

not at all. Stress can cause all manner of problems and cause all sorts of 'health' issues. If she ate something poisonous, she could be going into ileus/stasis which would slow her gut down, possibly to a stop and she'd need pain relief and a gut stimulant at least.

If a cat came in and scared her, she could be scared of eating incase something comes to get her etc.

There are lots of factors to consider and i urge you to read my previous post :wave:

Back