• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus, gut stasis

I hope the vet appointment goes well today. Also sending lots more vibes for him.
Thanks Omi, bit worried I got a text saying Penelope and Apricot had an appointment this evening, so I rang up and they're all going this evening now, which is good because well I can get work done and not two trips.. But also bad because I just realised I have no idea how I'ma hold 9kg of white bun plus carrier and 3kg of Atticus plus carrier [emoji38] I suppose this is the time to be glad Clementine isn't in the carrier with him [emoji38] just gotta hope they aren't busy, and there's not loads of dogs to contend with, with the two carriers [emoji51]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks Omi, bit worried I got a text saying Penelope and Apricot had an appointment this evening, so I rang up and they're all going this evening now, which is good because well I can get work done and not two trips.. But also bad because I just realised I have no idea how I'ma hold 9kg of white bun plus carrier and 3kg of Atticus plus carrier [emoji38] I suppose this is the time to be glad Clementine isn't in the carrier with him [emoji38] just gotta hope they aren't busy, and there's not loads of dogs to contend with, with the two carriers [emoji51]

I'm sure that you are aware, but I'll mention it anyway. You really should not be carrying that amount of bunny atm. I think you have the same carrier as me and that is heavy in itself. I found that my 2Ts yesterday seemed very heavy to carry from the car. Has your vets got a car park, so that you could ask the receptionist to carry them to and from for you?

I'm sure that you are aware, but I'll mention it anyway. You really should not be carrying that amount of bunny atm. I think you have the same carrier as me and that is heavy in itself. I found that my 2Ts yesterday seemed very heavy to carry from the car. Has your vets got a car park, so that you could ask the receptionist to carry them to and from for you?

Yea I know :/ yea the cat it one, it is a heavy carrier tbf, but flimsier ones probably wouldn't take their weight [emoji38]

They do have a car park, but it's very small and often you can't get parked, so I end up parking down a side road and walking 5 minutes. I think what I'll do is I'll try get in the car park, and maybe take one carrier at a time, still too much really, I just really hope I'm not fighting off dogs, that always annoys me, I love dogs, but if I have a rabbit with me, please keep your dog from sniffing all around the carrier [emoji849][emoji21] can't have both on my lap so it's harder to control :(

If no space in car park then I'm really stuffed tbh :(

He really is showing classic 'Megacolon Rabbit' symptoms. I am wondering if your Vet could run another full blood profile on him, not just a blood glucose. A FBP would provide more specific information asto how his Liver is coping. Also, I am wondering if starting him on Baycox may be worth a shot

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Toltrazuril.htm

Sending millions more vibes xx

Is this similar to metronidazole which mine had for coccidia.?

Is this similar to metronidazole which mine had for coccidia.?

Metronidazole is a type of abx and is used for various gut problems. In the UK Baycox (Toltrazuril) is a is more likely to be prescribed for Coccidiosis than is Metronidazole. Metronidazole may be used in cases of Enterotoxaemia. Baycox is a Coccidiostat Parasiticide

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Metronidazole.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem/ChComplex/Toltrazuril.htm

Okay so I scored on parking, could get right outside :)

Blood glucose still 10.2

Can still feel lump, xray shows slightly more gas but in cecum so fine.. Stomach not bloated.

However he's very swollen and puffy, vet isn't sure why, potentially operating tomorrow or Monday, because she's very worried how big he is :( gunna see how he goes

However I just got home and well... This was in the carrier.. Be glad you can't smell it [emoji51]

I rang vet up and told her, she said it might be a good thing.. As at least he's passed something [emoji51] so we'll see..
981ca92f5ec41fe4018277e25b66c1c4.jpg

Glad you got parked right outside. Well that offering looks as though it would have felt uncomfortable inside him, so yes better out than in, so the saying goes. I'm sorry that the vet remains concerned about him and really hope that he doesn't have to have an operation. Sending him lots more vibes and hoping for improvement.

I really hope he doesn’t need an op. Yes I agree better out than in with that poop!

Topping up the vibes and hugs xx

It has happened more than once where a stasis bun passes poo, pee, and or gas on the drive to or from vets.
I wonder is the vehicle movements help . Or can it be from vet palpitating bun.
Did vet still feel lump? Is that why surgery possible?
Sending more good vibes that he will improve quickly.

Last edited:
It has happened more than once where a stasis bun passes poo, pee, and or gas on the drive to or from vets.
I wonder is the vehicle movements help . Or can it be from vet palpitating bun.
Did vet still feel lump? Is that why surgery possible?
Sending more good vibes that he will improve quickly.

Okay so he's still passing diarrhea :( we are constantly cleaning it up to try keep him clean, his underneath seems very wet, but he's not caked in poop so that's something. He's eating hay now, so I'm hoping that'll help, he's brighter in himself and took a whole treat and ate it all - so we'll see.

The surgery was because she could feel a lump still, but mainly to see if the intestines had leaked fluid.. He looks huge.. Like really swollen, his stomach isn't bloated but he is just bloated if that makes sense.. And we don't know why he is.. So it was to open him up and see if she could work out why basically. He was so bloated earlier my Vet said his breathing wasn't right :(

Either the car, just time, or my car alarm going off after I put him in the car [emoji51] might have literally scared the **** out of him [emoji51]

I know diarrhea in buns is dangerous... I'll keep on with the fluids ofc, but is there anything else I need to do for him?

He's also eating some of them...? Is this okay?

Last edited:
Okay so he's still passing diarrhea :( we are constantly cleaning it up to try keep him clean, his underneath seems very wet, but he's not caked in poop so that's something. He's eating hay now, so I'm hoping that'll help, he's brighter in himself and took a whole treat and ate it all - so we'll see.

The surgery was because she could feel a lump still, but mainly to see if the intestines had leaked fluid.. He looks huge.. Like really swollen, his stomach isn't bloated but he is just bloated if that makes sense.. And we don't know why he is.. So it was to open him up and see if she could work out why basically. He was so bloated earlier my Vet said his breathing wasn't right :(

Either the car, just time, or my car alarm going off after I put him in the car [emoji51] might have literally scared the **** out of him [emoji51]

I know diarrhea in buns is dangerous... I'll keep on with the fluids ofc, but is there anything else I need to do for him?

He's also eating some of them...? Is this okay?

Personally I would not agree to surgery if he is bloated and passing diarrhea. But that is just my unqualified opinion.

He has been on a huge amount of prokinetics for some time (necessarily so) this may now be causing the'diarrhoea'. It is another classic feature of Megacolon. I would ask the Vet about stopping all medication today, except analgesia , keep up with the fluids, ask about starting METRONIDAZOLE in case he now has enterotoxemia. As bunny momma mentioned, Metronidazole is also sometimes used to treat coccidiosis. Also, you could ask the Vet about giving him Cholestyramine ( Questran ) This helps to bind the toxins produced in enteritis and prevents them being absorbed into the bloodstream. Your Vet is unlikely to stock it, you'll need a prescription to obtain it from a Pharmacy

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/10588/smpc

*WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES*

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Generalities/Enteritis_en.htm

ETA- -just seen the most recent poo photo. I dont think that the output is 'bad news' I think it is that his cecum is finally emptying. I cant see any mucus in the poo, more good news. There are some formed cecals and they are probably what he is attempting to eat. He needs to do so, so let him. They will help re-establish the good gut flora in his cecum. Also, he may feel 'bloated' due to being pumped full of fluids. I'd ask the Vet about this.

Last edited:
Personally I would not agree to surgery if he is bloated and passing diarrhea. But that is just my unqualified opinion.

He has been on a huge amount of prokinetics for some time (necessarily so) this may now be causing the diarrhoea. It is another classic feature of Megacolon. I would ask the Vet about stopping all medication today, except analgesia , keep up with the fluids, ask about starting METRONIDAZOLE in case he now has enterotoxemia. As bunny momma mentioned, Metronidazole is also sometimes used to treat coccidiosis. Also, you could ask the Vet about giving him Cholestyramine ( Questran ) This helps to bind the toxins produced in enteritis and prevents them being absorbed into the bloodstream. Your Vet is unlikely to stock it, you'll need a prescription to obtain it from a Pharmacy

*WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES*

Oh yea I mean this was before the poop explosion [emoji51] I doubt we'll operate today now, I mean this might have been what he needed? Idk.

Enterotoxemia? Google says blood poisoning? :( why would he have that?

She said to stop the lactulose, but not the other two, will ring and get her opinion on stopping the other two as well :)

I forgot to put yesterday but I asked about coccidiosis, and my Vet said she doesn't think he has it, we could test if I wanted, but she doesn't think it is that, but he is on sulfatrim which she said would treat it anyway if he had it? Idk [emoji51]

I know I shouldn't have, but I doubted William a bit with his megacolon diagnosis, as per he was right on the money though by the looks of it [emoji38]

Oh yea I mean this was before the poop explosion [emoji51] I doubt we'll operate today now, I mean this might have been what he needed? Idk.

Enterotoxemia? Google says blood poisoning? :( why would he have that?

She said to stop the lactulose, but not the other two, will ring and get her opinion on stopping the other two as well :)

I forgot to put yesterday but I asked about coccidiosis, and my Vet said she doesn't think he has it, we could test if I wanted, but she doesn't think it is that, but he is on sulfatrim which she said would treat it anyway if he had it? Idk [emoji51]

I know I shouldn't have, but I doubted William a bit with his megacolon diagnosis, as per he was right on the money though by the looks of it [emoji38]

Great that he's on Sulfatrim. I really do think that he has turned a corner and that he has a chance of recovery. I mentioned the Questran/Enterotoxaemia BEFORE I saw the poo. I very much doubt that is an issue now. I think it is now going a be a case of getting as much fibre into him as possible, I'd give Fibreplex (may not help, wont do any harm), https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protexin-fibreplex-for-rabbits-15ml-syringe.html

It could take over a week to get his output anywhere near back to his 'normal'.

Gotta go and do my lots meds now, but will check back on here later xx

Great that he's on Sulfatrim. I really do think that he has turned a corner and that he has a chance of recovery. I mentioned the Questran/Enterotoxaemia BEFORE I saw the poo. I very much doubt that is an issue now. I think it is now going a be a case of getting as much fibre into him as possible, I'd give Fibreplex (may not help, wont do any harm), https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/protexin-fibreplex-for-rabbits-15ml-syringe.html

It could take over a week to get his output anywhere near back to his 'normal'.

Gotta go and do my lots meds now, but will check back on here later xx

The poop is much darker now, but yea is still not at all formed.. Ive seen it come out.. Its like toothpaste or Kong squirty meat paste is probably the better description [emoji51]

Yea I should have also said, he's eating a little more hay and runs over and begs for treats, and eats them now! I really hope this is a good sign.

I wondered about fibreplex, I think it really helped Clementine tbh, bit worried about giving it to him though, as he's very sensitive, I mean that'd give him diarrhea on a normal day, you think it might still be worth a try? Just worried it could do more harm :(

Hope your lot are okay xx

He has been on a huge amount of prokinetics for some time (necessarily so) this may now be causing the'diarrhoea'. It is another classic feature of Megacolon. I would ask the Vet about stopping all medication today, except analgesia , keep up with the fluids, ask about starting METRONIDAZOLE in case he now has enterotoxemia. As bunny momma mentioned, Metronidazole is also sometimes used to treat coccidiosis. Also, you could ask the Vet about giving him Cholestyramine ( Questran ) This helps to bind the toxins produced in enteritis and prevents them being absorbed into the bloodstream. Your Vet is unlikely to stock it, you'll need a prescription to obtain it from a Pharmacy

*WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES*

ETA- -just seen the most recent poo photo. I dont think that the output is 'bad news' I think it is that his cecum is finally emptying. I cant see any mucus in the poo, more good news. There are some formed cecals and they are probably what he is attempting to eat. He needs to do so, so let him. They will help re-establish the good gut flora in his cecum. Also, he may feel 'bloated' due to being pumped full of fluids. I'd ask the Vet about this.

Just saw your edit,

He's trying to eat the paste that's coming out of him now which is much darker in colour. My vet said the bloating wasn't because of the fluids, also he wasn't bloated when we were doing them every hour, yet now they're every 4 hours(and not over night) he is very bloated, which is odd.

Gracie,
I have seen similar poo explosions with stasis. It may be a good sign.
Aticus poo appears to have some form yet. It resembles the recovery feed I use. It should improve as he consumes more fiber as jj said.
I found it helped to line littebox and area were bunny resting with towels or other material that is soft and absorbent.
Sending more vibes.
Is he passing gas or more mucus too?
If his blooting was from contents of his gi system , would you expect bloat to reduce as he passes the contents?

Last edited:
Gracie,
I have seen similar poo explosions with stasis. It may be a good sign.
Aticus poo appears to have some form yet. It resembles the recovery feed I use. It should improve as he consumes more fiber as jj said.
I found it helped to line littebox and area were bunny resting with towels or other material that is soft and absorbent.
Sending more vibes.
Is he passing gas or more mucus too?

I really hope so. Unfortunately I can't do that, Atticus is a nightmare for eating stuff, he tried to eat the kitchen towel I was using to remove poop with [emoji849] he can't have anything atm, I've even removed his litter pellets, he just has hay.

No gas, but he didn't have any, hasn't this entire time, no mucus, but then no formed poops either, it's just like a paste now that's much darker.

Back