• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Athie's neutering prep help

cheriseru

Alpha Buck
Hiya all :)
So Athie is going for his neutering on Monday and I want to get everything ready for Monday but want to get some advice.
Athie is quite an active bunny and loves jumping, zoomies and binkies. He's very used to living free roam 24/7 and super attached to Zeus.
Zeus is going with him on Monday for comfort so not worried about him going but coming home.

My worry is that because he's used to being free roam and follows Zeus around for comfort. I should be able to setup a pen area but if Zeus isn't in the pen I think it would upset Athie more but Zeus absolutely hates being penned in so that would upset Zeus :s

I'm already planning on sleeping in the livingroom on the floor with them again to prevent the temptation of jumping on my bed or them getting upset not being in the same room as me. When Zeus was neutered I did the same and he wasn't that active anyhow so wasn't that worried. But now worrying that because Athie is such an active bunny he might harm himself if I don't pen him in but if I pen him in then either he or Zeus will get very upset :(

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Athie' not jumping is the priority. He may not even care if Zeus gets to roam at times without him. Sending vibes for a quick recovery.

Pen both and see how it goes, it will only be for a few days and you can let Zeus out from time to time :)
Athie' not jumping is the priority. He may not even care if Zeus gets to roam at times without him. Sending vibes for a quick recovery.
Thank you both :) think you're right, need to make sure Athie heals up and I can let Zeus out to roam a little. Will get the pen area setup over the weekend :)

Good luck today, Athie! :love:
Thank you [emoji4] was heartbreaking dropping them this morning :( and work was so super busy I missed the vets call [emoji24] and only managed to call back an hour later. Never have I been seem tempted to tell my boss to shush and let me answer the phone [emoji1787]

Laughed at the vets, she said Zeus was inconsolable while Athie was under the knife and was rattling the cage door so much they thought he might break it, wouldn't even take a fenugreek as distraction [emoji15] and Athie was super unhappy until they put the 2 in the same cage, then they both relaxed down. She said she's not yet seen 2 bunnies so overly attached. And Zeus has again melted her heart even more because he sat in front of Athie like he was protecting him everytime someone came near [emoji173]

They're both home again and have been for just over 2hrs. Can see poor Athie is quite sore :( but he's eaten some, had 2 wees and a bit of poops. He did enjoy me handfeeding him tescos finest green beans one by 1 broken into bitesize pieces and then a few bits of kale.

I put Athie straight in the pen and after Zeus had a bit of a run around he was poking to get in the pen, put him in and then had my heart totally melt seeing Zeus grooming Athie and laying in front of him while he hides in the hidey house [emoji173] Zeus even sat next to Athie for a bit while he had some veggies.

Zeus only just threw a strop to get out the pen for a bit, so have let him out for a while.

Athie just ate his fenugreek which he refused until now so is looking positive :) long night ahead for me as I know I'm not gonna be able to sleep much :)
d524a2d5bd139c999d6bec76a351699a.jpg
f72317d0e6e0c18b6067cf56d5c35845.jpg
ccbf9a500321dee3a5a0e413b48b407a.jpg
595625bf6ce741862a61dcedc3fe0c48.jpg

Aww, it's so sweet how they've become such good friends in the short time they've known each other. Zeus sounds so protective of Athie. :love: I'm glad Athie's been eating already, and has been enjoying being handfed, and even took his fenugreek treat eventually. I'm sorry he's obviously sore, though. =( Lots and lots of vibes for him, and for you, too, since you won't be sleeping much!

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. I’m glad he’s being so well looked after :love:

Aww, it's so sweet how they've become such good friends in the short time they've known each other. Zeus sounds so protective of Athie. :love: I'm glad Athie's been eating already, and has been enjoying being handfed, and even took his fenugreek treat eventually. I'm sorry he's obviously sore, though. =( Lots and lots of vibes for him, and for you, too, since you won't be sleeping much!
Got my couch bed setup and queued up some movies. They've both settled down and snoozing now, so hope to get some before they wake up for their 3am chaos :)
Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. I’m glad he’s being so well looked after :love:
Thank you [emoji4]

Got my couch bed setup and queued up some movies. They've both settled down and snoozing now, so hope to get some before they wake up for their 3am chaos :)Thank you [emoji4]

I hope you get some sleep!

Aw, it's good they've settled down. They might be too tired from their day today for their 3am chaos...
Sleep till 3am was too much to hope for [emoji42][emoji2957]
Just been woken up by a thumpity thump... I open an eye and look into this face
6a9c0ed0edd172ab1408ad66d14ba1cc.jpg

With a giggle from me turned it into
848351e3a80c6c61e6f2fec4ef041865.jpg

Zeus realising he can't escape decided to thump and then give me the booty
ef86b6b7b4de32809064c4e0988f3374.jpg

And of course Athie had to then investigate if he can escape
279f0646695c9a1536976c0ece212e37.jpg

Ending with both realising I'm not allowing escape, so double booty for me [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
2a3e7b231e7e1ca72cf5fb9731ac9c36.jpg

Maybe I can make 3am this time [emoji42][emoji42][emoji42]

I thought bunnies weren't nocturnal [emoji51] whyyyyyy are they so active at 1am... surely this isn't the best time to be destroying their newly made litter tray [emoji17]
So gonna start poking and prodding them during the day if they attempt to snooze [emoji56]

So glad Athie's surgery went well and he is already improving. It is so touching to see and hear what good friends they have become. May he make a swift recovery so your boys can come back to normal soon.

It is amazing the bond they have! I hope Athie will start to feel more like normal today. Are you going to be home today with them? Just in case you are needed.

Science wanders between saying they're crepuscular and nocturnal. Mine certainly have no worries about pinging bramble off the run roof in the middle of the night :roll:

Back