• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

At my wit's end, need advice please

he's not well at all this morning, last night I noticed some really really loud gurgles at his back end, never heard them that loud before and although he had most of his Metacam last night on a shredded wheat (I say most as Bella stole a little), his head is slightly tilting this morning and he is making some really strange noises I have never heard him do. Looking them up when I go near him they are like a deep popping and grunting noise which would indicate to me he is in pain. Just offered him some pellets soaked in water to check he wants to eat and he has lapped a little up. He is looking totally miserable and in pain. There is no way I can give him his meds orally, I just don't know how to pick him up correctly let along shove syringes in his mouth, just don't know what to do at the moment

as regards his meds, Simon dosed him last night around 7.30pm, should Cookie be dosed around the same time each day?

It sounds as though something else is going on with him. :( I hope you manage to find a vet for a second opinion. I'd say the panacur and metacam (did he get any antibiotics?) would be the right way to go, especially with the head tilt.

Sending vibes his way. x

He had his second dose of Zithromax Suspension and Panacur earlier as Tracy around the corner who runs the Rabbit & Guinea Pig Rescue came round to help me. As Cookie is having a really bad day, I asked if she give him his meds so he doesn't have butterfingers me trying to do it and hopefully tomorrow she will teach me and give me the confidence to be able to pick him up and do it myself.

She made it look so easy, he struggled a little but that's where my confidence lacks because of the thought of me not holding him correctly, he kicking out and breaking his back.

She passed him to me and next thing Cookie was in my arms and I was rocking with him like a baby. It was a glorious feeling for me being able to have a cuddle with him something I really miss just because of my damn fear and lack of confidence.

Thankfully he is still drinking and lapping up some of the soaked pellets I did for him which shows he is still interested. Tracy recommend I soak some porridge oats for him. She tried him with a bramble leaf which he refused,although she had just put him back in his hutch so he was a little stressed after having all his meds. She also gave him his Metacam and Fibreplex orally so I don't have to worry about that tonight.

Such a relief to have a little help as it's so difficult being on my own. I also gave her a healthy donation for the buns which I do now and then anyway as she does such a good job, in fact I don't know how she fits everything into her day.

Have moved Bella into the run on the lawn to give Cookie some peace for a while

It sounds as though something else is going on with him. :( I hope you manage to find a vet for a second opinion. I'd say the panacur and metacam (did he get any antibiotics?) would be the right way to go, especially with the head tilt.

Sending vibes his way. x

Hi I took him to Simon in Northampton yesterday for a second opinion. Head tilt is only very slight. In fact Tracy wondered whether my vet who did dental caught his throat with the tube they put down. Just something else to consider

Back