• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

At my wit's end, need advice please

dinklepip

Alpha Buck
Cookie is a 8 1/2 Dutch, typical skitty bun and terrified of the vets. I have never had any issues with Cookie's teeth since I had him as a babby until recently. He has always been a big hay muncher, he gets plenty of different types of hay from Vitakraft, some treats and SS pellets. Both my buns have a water bowl as I find they drink more than from a bottle. Suppose I have been lucky with him in not having many issues over the years except with the odd poorly tummy and I have learned over the years to watch my bun's behaviour very very closely as things can go so wrong in hours with them.

Just over 2 weeks ago I noticed, when he was feeding on his pellets, he was moving them around his mouth a bit so obviously the alarm bells rang for me to keep a real close eye on him. He was eating everything else as usual but one particular evening when it had cooled down I put both buns on the lawn as usual and noticed that Cookie seemed disinterested in moving about and pretty much just sat there. Didn't think too much at the time as the weather has been so hot. As usual I tempted him with a treat just to make sure he was OK and he ate it but then I noticed that he wouldn't eat any hay and when he did he took a couple of nibbles and just dropped it.

Off to the vet I went the next day and she said she could see some spurs on his right side but as I am normally quick off the mark with my buns, I caught it in time and they hadn't cut into his tongue. He was also constantly at the water bowl and I couldn't believe finding the bowl nearly empty the following morning which never happens, and also cleaning his face more than normal

He had dental on the 13th and his teeth were smoothed and filed down and also gave him additional fluid before and after his op and pain relief etc. That evening he seemed to be quite perky but still not eating his hay (which Bella my other bun did when she had dental a couple of years ago). To my horror he sort of weed himself on the spot a couple of times which he has never done. Cookie is a very clean and tidy boy and always goes to his litter corner. I just put it down to the heat of the day, his op and also the extra fluid he was carrying. His body language and behaviour also told me that it wasn't just dental so I took him back again on the 15th with a wee sample which I craftily obtained to check his sugar levels etc and also for a blood test to check his kidneys. My vet told me there was a tiny bit of blood in his water which told her he had a little cystitis which would have explained his behaviour the day before. Apart from that everything was hunky dory as far as his kidneys etc. After an antibiotic injection it seemed to clear his cystitis

BUT, he was still having problems on the eating front. Still no hay but eating pellets and other stuff. I peeled some carrots with my potato peeler and gave him some of the shavings and he seemed to have problems chewing them. He seemed to be able to tackle harder foods ok but anything on the thin side he struggled with. I keep trying different things to see what he manages better

By the way throughout all this his poos were and still are small.

I still wasn't happy so rang my vet and Cookie went back for pain relief on Monday to see if that made a difference in him eating his hay again as my vet assured me after checking his mouth again that his teeth were OK (and I do trust my vet, she is wonderful with all my pets) and she knows I always go fully armed with information and suggestions.

She said if the pain relief made no difference then he would have to go back for another look. Within an hour or so of getting him home on Monday he was chasing Bella around the run feeling frisky so at that moment I felt happy that things would get quickly back to normal but unfortunately not the case as he still wasn't touching his hay or chewing properly. He constantly moves his jaw around like a pensioner with new dentures (sorry...that's the best way I can describe it).

Back he went on Wednesday for another quick look around and file. I also had my vet take an xray in case there were any underlying problems. She assured me she found nothing else on the second visit around his mouth and the xray revealed nothing.

As of today, he is still refusing his hay and not particularly bothered about grass when he is on the lawn. He seems to now have problems in chewing "thin" food like grass blades and the dandelion leaves I tempted him this morning with I had to break up into small pieces as he didn't seem to be able to chew them properly. It seems now after his second dental, from way he chews, his teeth are now blunt!!!!!!

I rushed off to garden centre this morning and spent over £20 on bagged organic dried leaves/herbs (boredom breaker naturals range) etc as he isn't eating enough and I am worried about weight loss. I have been trying alsorts of different things with him, both hard and soft to see what he can and can't manage properly and I feed him bits at a time as he nearly choked on a pellet once which put the fear of God into me.

His pellets he seems to manage fine along with the treat sticks you can buy (also from the natural range) with sunflowers and seeds etc but he still isn't right. I picked some lush soft grass for him this morning and he won't eat that now. He wants to eat and races over when I say the magic word "treaties" but still struggles with some things. I can't keep giving him pellets. From watching him closely he spents much longer in chewing his food. I have also been giving him some recovery plus food with water on a saucer which he took too straight away last week but soon went off it so I soaked a couple of pellets in with it so at least he could have that overnight.

Watching him closely this morning I think he might need more pain med so I currently waiting the vet to call back so I can take him up so see if that makes a difference as I think he is showing signs of discomfort; he tends to go a little squinty eyed and sitting a little hunched up.

I am at my wit's end here, I feel I have tried everything and just don't know what to do. The last 4 weeks have been hell as my elderly cat is renal and I had just managed to stabilise him and then problems with Cookie. I can't eat or sleep properly. I have researched until I can research no more but I am still 1000% sure it's teeth. He seems to move his mouth around a lot just as we do when we are clearing our mouths of food particles.

I really really need some bun owner advice as to what I should be doing.

To summarise:-

1. His kidneys and bloods are OK
2. xrays revealed nothing
3. Drinking normally
4. Small poos
5. Can eat pellets and treats but struggles with flat things
6. Won't touch hay

As bunnies don't like change (especially Cookie) could he in fact be trying to adjust to a different chewing sensation in his mouth as it appears that way to me?

Can their teeth be filed down too much?

Anyone else been in exactly the same position?

I can't take him again for dental, the stress will kill him.

Just spoken with my vet who has left me out to collect some pain medication that I can syringe onto his food which I had last month when he hurt his foot. On speaking with her and informing her of the wide variety of things I have tried (both soft and hard) she says he could be adjusting as maybe one side is not as even as the other as regards grinding his food. He seems to manage his pellets as normal, he still enjoys his bitesize shredded wheat although will take longer to chew it. He still loves his mixed bird seed (I throw a small amount in the run some days as it keeps them busy searching for food). He has had small pieces of cabbage leaves, broccoli, slithers of carrots and apple.
With the mix of both hard, soft, small, flat foods I have offered him and watching him when he eats, he does seem to show problems on the grinding so maybe my vet is right in that if one side is not quite as even as the other, he is adjusting to it?

Is there anything else I should be doing or try to help my beautiful boy. I am making myself ill with all this worry. Thanks everyone for any advice or questions you may have.......sorry for the long winded saga but I thought better to give everyone as much info as possible

Aww poor Cookie! And poor you :( it's such a worry when they're not right, especially when we don't know why. Before you mentioned the x ray I was going to suggest a possible tooth root problem, but the X-ray was fine :? What about his ears? Sometimes ear pain can affect the way they eat. That's the only thing I can think of, I hope someone else can help you more. I hope Cookie will be ok xxx

thank you Jane can always count on a wise ole thumper lol. I now have a 5 day course of Metacam to give him which I sneak onto a bitesize shredded wheat as Cookie is rarely picked up let alone syringe it into his mouth. He had a few days of this early June when he hurt his foot. I shall keep persevering although should I be avoiding hard foods at the moment?

Aww poor Cookie! And poor you :( it's such a worry when they're not right, especially when we don't know why. Before you mentioned the x ray I was going to suggest a possible tooth root problem, but the X-ray was fine :? What about his ears? Sometimes ear pain can affect the way they eat. That's the only thing I can think of, I hope someone else can help you more. I hope Cookie will be ok xxx

Cookie is probably cleaner than all of us put together, he is such a neat, clean tidy body and alway grooming himself or Bella. His ears have always looked pristine and there doesn't seem to be a sign of any ear problem.

another question for Jane please?

I have around a 5 day dose of Metacam, would he be able to have more when the bottle is empty or is there a max dose that applies?

Some bunnies (including one of mine) are on metacam everyday, it depends what the problem is whether they need to continue with it :wave:

another question for Jane please?

I have around a 5 day dose of Metacam, would he be able to have more when the bottle is empty or is there a max dose that applies?

As ripminnie says, Rabbits can be on Metacam longterm to manage a chronic problem. I would see how he gets on over the 5 days and if you notice an improvement in his selective feeding.

As ripminnie says, Rabbits can be on Metacam longterm to manage a chronic problem. I would see how he gets on over the 5 days and if you notice an improvement in his selective feeding.

arrrrrrrr thank you, wasn't sure as mine have never had to have it more than a couple of days here and there.

Should I be cutting out the harder foods and going softer in order to help him?

something else I read up on here was Oxbow Botanical Hay which is a softer hay. He has Timothy hay but the botanical has a range of other stuff in and I wondered whether this was worth a purchase. Couldn't see any at where I stock up on bunny stuff, do they sell at Pets at Home does anyone know, save me a pain in the bottom journey there if they don't?

Last edited:
arrrrrrrr thank you, wasn't sure as mine have never had to have it more than a couple of days here and there.

Should I be cutting out the harder foods and going softer in order to help him?

No, it sounds as though he is managing the pellets etc. Dont feed him more pellets than normal or he just wont bother with grass/hay

You could try crushing a few pellets into a powder and mix it in with some hand picked grass. The smell of the pellets may tempt him to eat it and then realise that eating grass does not hurt quite so much (due to the Metacam). He may associate hay/grass with pain now so he may need to 'unlearn' that.

arrrr thank you, wasn't sure and was thinking it's a mental thing too associating the hay with pain and alike. Won't be able to see what he eats later as the rain is coming in so they won't be on the lawn which I cut yesterday but still have some of the long lush soft grass I picked this morning in a bowl of water with dandelions (keeps them lovely and fresh for days).

Am very strict on the amount of pellets and treats they have as I don't want poorly tum tums which is why they have so much choice in hay overnight to eat.

Does sound as though he has what you say,(something none of the vets mentioned btw pfft) and if that is the case going in for a second dental hasn't helped the matter! So difficult to get things right isn't it when they can't tell you or even hide it as bun buns do. Is that quite a common thing for bunnies then?

Hope that Cookie picks up soon for you both!! Blossom had a dental on Wednesday and is still not right now - picking at food. He like Cookie has been back and forth to the vets and is on Metacam. Its such a stress isnt it?. Hope he starts eating normally soon for you.

Hope that Cookie picks up soon for you both!! Blossom had a dental on Wednesday and is still not right now - picking at food. He like Cookie has been back and forth to the vets and is on Metacam. Its such a stress isnt it?. Hope he starts eating normally soon for you.

oh nooooooooooo not you as well maybe Blossom is having the same trouble as Cookie and it's what Jane suggested. Must admit since the Metacam kicked in I have just given him something and he scoffed it up a little better. Hope your baby picks up too:love:

am pleased to say that the Metacam seems to be helping a little as he seems brighter and more willing to try things although still no hay as yet. I know he is eating more as there are more poopies in the corner and don't appear so small. Both he and Bella poop in the same corner but hers are much larger and lighter brown. He doesn't seem to be moving his mouth around as much either with the pain relief. So I shall keep persevering

just a quick update on Cookie. He still isn't touching his hay but deffo wants to eat as he is wolfing other stuff down although I don't want to overload him with it and give him a poorly tum. Am now smearing Fibreplex on him which he hates the taste of and it takes him ages to lick it off lol. His poos are still small and dark so I know he isn't touching his hay despite my filling the hutches at night with the different hay varieties I have. One thing I have changed to aid him eating more is to give him his Metacam later in the day instead of the morning, as buns normally eat more late afternoon into the evening (well mine do lol). As I don't know how long each dose lasts, I thought come the evening the pain relief might have worn off a little so by now giving him his dose later in the day it will be more effective during his evening munchies and hopefully tempting him back onto his hay. Trying alsorts at the moment lol. He can't be feeling that bad cus when I put them both out in their run early this evening he was running around like a lunatic and did a couple of binkies (which I haven't seen him do for a while), although watching him through the window I noticed he is hardly touching grass now. He is still eating the "flatter" things like dandelion leaves and some cabbage leaf but taking him time in chewing it as the flatter things still seem to be a problem for him.

Hi,

Glad to hear that Cookie is well in himself and eating some food - even if its not what you want him to eat! Blossom is still much the same to - picky (and wanting the not so good stuff!!) a bit like Cookie. Today he ate some parsley for the first time since last Wednesday so hopefully this is a sign he is picking up. Maybe Cookie will improve soon too - I think it takes longer that I first imagined to get over a dental and so as long as Cookie is ok in himself and wanting to eat then hopefully the interest in the healthy food will follow. I know when I am ill I only want tomato soup and lucozade so maybe its the same with our poorly, fussy boys!!
Nose rubs to Cookie
xx

Metacam last 12 hours. Could you maybe give your vet a ring and see about upping his dose and splitting it? Then he can have some on a morning and some on a night, he will be covered 24 hours a day and this might encourage him to eat his hay. :thumb:

Back