• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Arnie

Arnie.

A young buck rabbit who lived fast and died unexpectantly young.

Read this reflection by Abelard on the death of a young rabbit in the C12th and somehow the idea that you have passed to infinate safe keeping where the rabbit can lay down with the fox and both will eat hay seemed to me that all things shall be well and all manner of things will be well.

He looked down at the little draggled body, his mouth shaking. ‘Thibault,’ he said, ‘do you think there is a God at all ? Whatever has come to me, I earned it. But what did this one do?’
Thibault nodded. ‘I know,’ he said. ‘Only – I think God is in it too.’
Abelard looked up sharply. ‘In it? Do you mean that it makes Him suffer, the way it does us?’ Again Thibault nodded. ‘Then why doesn’t He stop it?’
‘I don’t know,’ said Thibault ….. But all the time God suffers. More then we do.’
Abelard looked at him, perplexed …. ‘Thibault, do you mean Calvary?’
Thibault shook his head. ‘That was only a piece of it – the piece that we saw – in time. Like that.’ He pointed to a fallen tree beside them, sawn through the middle. ‘That dark ring there, it goes up and down the whole length of the tree. But you only see it where it is cut across. That is what Christ’s life was; the bit of God that we saw. And we think God is like that, because Christ was like that, kind and forgiving sins and healing people. We think God is like that forever, because it happened once, with Christ. But not the pain. Not the agony at the last. We think that stopped.’
Abelard looked at him, the blunt nose and the wide mouth, the honest troubled eyes. He could have knelt before him. ‘Then, Thibault,’ he said slowly, ‘you think that all this,’ he looked down at the little quiet body in his arms, ‘all the pain of the world, was Christ’s cross?’
‘God’s cross,’ said Thibault. ‘And it still goes on.’

Animals have the same source as human beings. Like us, they derive the life of thought, will and love from the Creator. Not to hurt our humble animal brethren was our first duty to them; but to stopshort there is a complete misapprehension of the intentions of Providence. We have a higher
mission. God wishes us to help them whenever they require it.
St. Francis.

Arnie in God's infinate safe keeping.

Thinking of you at this sad time. I liked the reflection by Abelard. I studied medieval history, but haven't come across that particular quote. Makes you really think ...

Back