• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are housing requirements getting too strict?

Is there a reason not until November, I missed your earlier posts.

Just that from 2nd October I'll be in South Africa for three weeks. Ian will be looking after the two buns we currently have. So we just about had time to get Wingnut settled in before I was due to go, and could have housed her seperately if need be until I got back. Sadly, the loss of her put us back to square one. Sky-O recommended no bunny dates for three weeks just in case ether of mine got sick as they had been on a date with Wingnut. Sprocket also has a digestive upset at the moment so it probably is a good idea to get him sorted before we get any more. Plus it looks like Ian will have to work the next two weekends coming and we had plans for this weekend (we work weekdays 8-5pm). So getting down to Wood Green isn't likely to be feasible before I go now. Plus I'd imagine we'd have to make two to three trips like with Martlesham.

I get back on the 24th, but we also have a family do in Manchester on the 5th/6th, November so I'd imaging we wouldn't adopt these new ones until we get back from that (although the first visit could be made on the weekend inbetween.

My worry is, while it would be FANTASTIC if this was the law, and nobody could keep a bunny in anything less, it's not. People will just say. 'woah, we can't afford that! Let's just get a bunny and a 3 foot hutch from P@H.'

But that will still happen even if the rescue didn't set their housing requirements at such a high level, a lot of people wouldn't even entertain buying a 6ft hutch so would still go down the cheap tiny little "box" route :(

But that will still happen even if the rescue didn't set their housing requirements at such a high level, a lot of people wouldn't even entertain buying a 6ft hutch so would still go down the cheap tiny little "box" route :(

It's a hard one, isn't it? I wish it WAS the law for buns to have decent accommodation - maybe we should write to our MPs? ;):(

They are realistic and they don't have too much trouble in helping people that go there see that it's in the interest of the rabbits to try and give them as much space as possible.

I would suggest that rabbits will be happy enough in the space you offer, but would possibly, given the choice love to have much more room if it was up to them.

Doesn't make you a bad owner, BUT, why shouldn't the rescues aim higher than that size that you offer.

As I said, if the rescues don't push for more space on behalf of the rabbits, who will? Certainly not the pet shops, the RSPCA or the people giving up the rabbits in free - ads. The buck stops with the rescues as far as improving welfare standards it seems so places like Wood Green have to make a stand.

Completely agree, i saved and worked hard to give my bunnies the best accomodation i can give, i spent a long time researching it and was lucky enough to have very kind inlaws and partner to help build it, took us two weekends non-stop to do it. There is always ways to improve the space/accomodation you have for your buns, my buns love to stretch their legs when im in the garden i feel bad keeping them in the 14ftx8ft living space they have if i dont have time to supervise them free-ranging.

I dont think many people would keep dogs locked in an equivalent size space to their size as some of their hutch/run combos.

Last edited:
Considering most recommend the basic 6x2 + 6x4 play pen, it isn't really sufficient. Whilst they may be able to "play", there is no way they could do full out zoomies due to the length. For most buns, a few hops and they would be at the other end.

I am glad you are going to bunny proof your living room tho Amethyst:D

Thanks for the support! :) My buns are older now and don't do zoomies at all really, maybe for the first 15 minutes of "free ranging" time but then they get tired and go back to their cage! :lol: Still, as you say, bigger is always better and as long as we're in the house they should be able to free range in the living room quite easily. 16.3 square feet is still a good space for a cage "base" to go back to. :)

AMETHYST

Back