• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are housing requirements getting too strict?

I am fortunate to have a huge garden. Sounds great there is enough space for me to have five seperate gardens BUT its listed by the local Wildlife Trust as a wildlife corridor, has full tree preservation orders on six fully grown very mature trees, and the top is an ancient boundery ditch and hedgerow.

It not only looks great for buns its great for the local foxes, owls, sparrowhawks, maurading cats, muntjac deer, rats, assorted corvi and what flashed past looking very like a weasel.

My buns live right by my house in a large 16'x4x10 run that is currently being upgraded to even heavier wire.:evil: They have a really giant hutch from Forsham and a back up 5'x2x2 double storey. There is no way I would risk those buns freeranging. The young sparrowhawks like to drop down over the run as it is and that :censored: fox is not scared of me either.
I still bring them in as it goes dark.:shock:

I think everyone should be judged as an individual as to their suitability for adopting buns. Everyone has different types of houses and gardens. I know people with tiny gardens/yards who have very happy and loved bunnys.

This is how I did home visits. I did them and took each person and situation as an individual. Yes, they had requirements to adhere to, but there was also leeway if we felt the adopter was going have a good home.

I have adopted from Wood Green (several times) and do NOT allow buns free range in garden constantly as we have foxes in area and they know this.

They were very flexible when they came to me and took the whole set up into consideration.

That's reassuring. Although.. if they are that strict then maybe they will still be there when I get back from hols!! :love:

ETA: a few other observations. Firstly, as many of you know I've been looking for a suitable lionhead, none of the rescues in Norfolk have any last time I looked. The only one that might is (by the sounds of it) not run particularly well. They don't vaccinate or neuter and I've heard of sick buns being adopted out. So Martlesham was our nearest option. As some will be aware the bun we were planning to adopt died, her littermates are all boys and there are two other females that we had been considering. One, they thought might not be a good match and the other has mites (I know no more than that).

When I saw those two harlies, Iwas like :love::love::love::love: So I would love those but at the same time we can't adopt them until I get back now so will just have to hope they are still available. It would be nice to help those Lymington buns.

Secondly, not everyone is made of money and it is a lot easier to find maybe £20 a month for insurance and the biannual vaccinations then it might be to fork out hundreds of pounds on suitable accommodation. I was lucky, I had savings to throw at the project but if I hadn't, getting the fence, kennel, aviary and patio would have been the equivalent of two months' wages.

Last edited:
i think its a shame pet shops arn't that fussy! you can buy a bunn from a pet shop keep it in a 3ft hutch with no home check! how can that be right?
one extream to the other! :? .

Just thought I'd add my little bit to this. I feel really sad that I have read many of you posters saying you would fail the homechecks etc. for this reason or that. Yet you're all currently giving GREAT homes to your bunnies, even if the space doesn't fit with the requirements of some of the shelters. Well, in my opinon, it's more about the person and the love and attention that they will give, rather than ticking some box regarding space. Of course no one wants to keep a bunny in a ridiculously small space and I think loads of us adapt and keep adding to the space where buns can run free, as our finances allow. For example, Basil is a house bunny not completely free range though because he is a 'so and so' with cables etc. He has his base and an 8'x 8' free range area (where he has re-designed the blinds:lol: to his own requirements). I don't think this is enough so DH is currently building him a 6' x 4' play shed in the garden and he has a 4' x 4' run attached to this. I wouldn't dream of letting him free range in the garden, because we are rural and there are too many threats, animals, poisonous plants, escape routes etc. As for a 10' + run, well we wouldn't have the room. Does this make me a bad owner? I don't think so. It would be a terrible shame if many prospective good owners were turned down just because they didn't tick all the boxes. I know that shelters have to be sure that rabbits are going to a good home, but there must be flexibility, otherwise many rabbits will remain in shelters for a very very long time.

I will be quiet now :lol::lol:

Last edited:
Just thought I'd add my little bit to this. I feel really sad that I have read many of you posters saying you would fail the homechecks etc. for this reason or that. Yet you're all currently giving GREAT homes to your bunnies, even if the space doesn't fit with the requirements of some of the shelters. Well, in my opinon, it's more about the person and the love and attention that they will give, rather than ticking some box regarding space. Of course no one wants to keep a bunny in a ridiculously small space and I think loads of us adapt and keep adding to the space where buns can run free, as our finances allow. For example, Basil is a house bunny not completely free range though because he is a 'so and so' with cables etc. He has his base and an 8'x 8' free range area (where he has re-designed the blinds:lol: to his own requirements). I don't think this is enough so DH is currently building him a 6' x 4' play shed in the garden and he has a 4' x 4' run attached to this. I wouldn't dream of letting him free range in the garden, because we are rural and there are too many threats, animals, poisonous plants, escape routes etc. As for a 10' + run, well we wouldn't have the room. Does this make me a bad owner? I don't think so. It would be a terrible shame if many prospective good owners were turned down just because they didn't tick all the boxes. I know that shelters have to be sure that rabbits are going to a good home, but there must be flexibility, otherwise many rabbits will remain in shelters for a very very long time.

I will be quiet now :lol::lol:

Amen! And if you want my opinion, Basil is a very lucky bunneh! :D

Ok here goes. I do agree that buns should have the biggest space possible. However - in a world where there are so many buns neglected, unwanted and unloved you have to be realistic. Taking requirements TOO far would disqualify a lot of people who have love, time, money and care to give to these needy buns. If people can afford to give their buns huge accommodation then i think that is fantastic but not everyone has the money or resources to provide this. I think every case should be judged on its own merits. Just because someone can provide a certain "standard" it doesnt mean everyone else should be excluded because they dont measure up.
On the flip side - i do believe if a bun is kept in a certain accommodation in a rescue its only right when it is rehomed to go to something of similar size or larger as it wouldnt be fair to have less space.

We were so happy that Wood Green took a large number of the Lymington bunnies because their rehoming requirements were so high.

I can see both sides of the story, however, I believe that someone has to stand up and say no, things have to improve for rabbits so if big rescues like this are prepared to say that this is what rabbits deserve, then that has to send out a good message. Wood Green have an excellent group of people who work with the small animals and instead of putting people off adopting, it means that by having standards such as these, they raise the standards locally because these things have a ripple effect.

Whilst I don't ask for a 10ft run, I have high standards of rehoming and yes I have to say no to quite a few people, but the rabbits that I help go to fabulous homes.

Whilst having standards does slow down rehoming, I feel it's very necessary. Certainly of late, with people becoming more aware that if you go to a rescue you can get a rabbit that is vaccinated and neutered for next to nothing, by having standards it can weed out those who feel that a rescue is a cheap place to get rabbits that are ready to go. As accommodation is one of the most important aspects and certainly the most expensive part of getting ready to have rabbits, I feel it shows a high level of commitment to giving rabbits what they need when combined with the other aspects of the rehoming policy.

BUT, with all my rehoming, I go on my gut instinct over everything.

Rehoming must never be just about buying what you need to have rabbits. I have known a large number of people who will throw money at the hutch and set up costs because they can afford to do so, but ultimately if they don't measure up as people, they don't get one of my rescue rabbits.

I am not knocking rescues that ask for lesser accommodation than Wood Green, because we all know that many rescues have a waiting list as long as your arm for rabbits to be admitted. With fewer and fewer people wanting to adopt over the last 4-6 months certainly it's got harder anyway, however nothing will change if we don't all do everything we can to improve the knowledge of those who come to rescue to find rabbits for their family. If you don't ask for much before you rehome, then you can't expect much.

I do know people who have rabbits with less space than I'd like to see, but can absolutely see that the rabbits are well cared for and given everything else they need - it's a hard one to balance isn't it.

Went to see who Julie and Jordan were on Wood Green's website and they are my babies:love::love:

I took these scrummy two and their mummy home from Lymington for two days before meeting with Helen and all the bunnies going on to Wood Green.
The first day here, it was a warm sunny day, and they were out in a run for the first time and Ive never seen something so weeny look so happy to be out of their small hutch and on grass. Call me soppy, but it brought a tear and I almost kept them. One did a binky:love:

They so deserve the best anyone can offer them and I can see why you were interested.

Blimey, each pair of my bunnies are in 4.5 feet by 3 feet with a shelf (they can freely run under it), and have access to the patio for about an hour on nice days. They binky about in there and relax, they seem extremely happy but by these guidelines I'm being cruel? :(

AMETHYST

Noah & Charlee's current set up would only just meet the requirements. They have a 6ft x 2.5ft home base, and then free range of the rest of my room (6ft x 8ft). This isn't the 10ft run they require, but gives an overall similar square footage. However if they require free range outside, then I would fail. We have dogs that go to the toilet outdoors, plus a huge range of plants most of which I am unsure are bunny safe, plus way too many nooks and crannies for them to hide in (and a pool which they could most certainly get to). Also, I am a firm believer in having animals indoors - IMO there are many risks with having buns outdoors let alone free range! (this is particularly true where I live)

I do commend them though for having such high standards. It guarantees that the buns - many of whom may be from mistreatment cases - go on to live happy lives with plenty of space. With what some buns go through, they surely deserve that.

Blimey, each pair of my bunnies are in 4.5 feet by 3 feet with a shelf (they can freely run under it), and have access to the patio for about an hour on nice days. They binky about in there and relax, they seem extremely happy but by these guidelines I'm being cruel? :(

AMETHYST

I am confused. Do they have a 4.5ftx3ft cage and then an hour on the patio? If so, I do think that this is far too small especially with only an hour out of their cage on nice days. There is no way that they can run and play in that sort of sized cage. I am sorry :(

I am confused. Do they have a 4.5ftx3ft cage and then an hour on the patio? If so, I do think that this is far too small especially with only an hour out of their cage on nice days. There is no way that they can run and play in that sort of sized cage. I am sorry :(

Yes that's correct. The cages are each 56"L X 42"W X 28"H. That's the inner dimensions not outer. They can (and do) run about and play as well as lounge out fully stretched and there's also the bonus shelf they have (it's high enough that they can run underneath it). When I let them outside they play for about 15 minutes and then often return to their cage to lounge or play in there. They really don't seem as though they're wanting for space or can't exercise properly. I don't want to sound like I'm making excuses though as I do want to ensure they're happy - it just really seems as though they ARE happy already. :(

Edited to add: Well that does it! Even though my bunnies seem perfectly happy in the space they have I've done some research and it seems as though I'm barely scraping the minimum recommended on any reputable site I found. So I'm now looking at bunny-proofing the living room so I can let them out whenever we're in the house. :)

AMETHYST

Last edited:

Our guinea pig runs are about that size, and I have had my rabbits in there for grazing (small-medium lionheads) and they can run around and play quite well. Of course bigger if better though.

I wouldn't have it as their only cage permanently.

It's good they get out to play though :)

Edited to add: Well that does it! Even though my bunnies seem perfectly happy in the space they have I've done some research and it seems as though I'm barely scraping the minimum recommended on any reputable site I found. So I'm now looking at bunny-proofing the living room so I can let them out whenever we're in the house. :)

AMETHYST

I'm sure they are happy, but will be even happier with more room :wave:

With those housing requirements I also doubt they rehome many rabbits.

You may be surprised then! I can think of rescues which don't neuter, vaccinate, homecheck or have any standards and they actually don't have a huge "turnover" with some buns there for many months or years. Whereas somewhere like the Rabbit Residence has some very long-termers mainly due to health reasons, she has a healthy "turnover" for want of a better word. The reason?

The rescue rabbits have large pens to run about in freely. When you go to visit her she will take you into a pen and even though they have lots of space and lots of other places to go, they invariably come rushing up to her to say hello. It shows people that lots of space doesn't mean they will never see their bunnies, it shows them that lots of space = happy rabbits. Therefore when people understand how important it is, they go about adapting their accommodation or buying something suitable to start off with.

I too can see both sides - I think the only way to raise standards is to set high standards; just because a rabbit has been rescued from something tiny and horrible, why should that mean that it should spend the rest of its life in something mediocre, when waiting a few more months in rescue might mean they can end up with a palace? Sadly rescues are never going to be able to help all the bunnies in need, so the responsibility falls on them to help the ones they have. Alas having lots of 'love' and 'care' are wonderful but it doesn't ensure that rabbits have the space they need to exercise appropriately for their welfare.

Our guinea pig runs are about that size, and I have had my rabbits in there for grazing (small-medium lionheads) and they can run around and play quite well. Of course bigger if better though.

I wouldn't have it as their only cage permanently.

It's good they get out to play though :)

Considering most recommend the basic 6x2 + 6x4 play pen, it isn't really sufficient. Whilst they may be able to "play", there is no way they could do full out zoomies due to the length. For most buns, a few hops and they would be at the other end.

I am glad you are going to bunny proof your living room tho Amethyst:D

Back