• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are housing requirements getting too strict?

Apart from Dexter all mine were private rehome/rescue. I'm very sure I wouldn't have passed a home check due to accomodation. I wanted to help and not buy from petshops though so I still deliberately saught to rehome rather than buy my rabbits.

Last edited:
I can see your point, but I think those policies are ace. It bugs me when people think a cat needs total freedom, but a bunny in a box is ok

If a Rescue strongly believes in something, I think they should stick to it as they will only regret it when they compromise & there's a million other Rescues you can adopt from with less restrictions

i agree with this. i'd just find a rescue who would be happy for me to take a bun rather than stress over the requirements of another that i don't have the correct set up for them.

i love that rescues stick to their guns on this matter, they must of met hundreds of people who promise one thing then don't actually deliver, the min requirements are there for the bunny and no-one else :love::love:

I think thats a little unfair maybe. I don't have hundreds to spend on accomodation, but i do have the money to spend ~75/yr on vaccs (2x myxi 1x vhd) and im sure that goes the same for a lot of people?

But what if the bunnies get sick? How would you pay for that? My point was just that if you are willing to spend a decent amount of money on large secure accommodation or even get the materials cheap and put the effort ino building it yourself then it's kinda proof that the owner will put the mileage into bunny care in general.

I am more than happy to adhere to various housing standards that rescues have and don't really see the problem with conforming to what is asked. If I don't and can't modifiy my accommodation to fit with specific requirements I'll just find somewhere that will home to me as there are loads of rescues to choose from.

But what if the bunnies get sick? How would you pay for that? My point was just that if you are willing to spend a decent amount of money on large secure accommodation or even get the materials cheap and put the effort ino building it yourself then it's kinda proof that the owner will put the mileage into bunny care in general.

I am more than happy to adhere to various housing standards that rescues have and don't really see the problem with conforming to what is asked. If I don't and can't modifiy my accommodation to fit with specific requirements I'll just find somewhere that will home to me as there are loads of rescues to choose from.

I'm confused Rhian (and by no means want to start an argument, this is if anything for me to learn from for the future:wave:).

You say you're happy to adhere to a rescues housing standards, but if a rescue you go to says you don't measure up, you'll go to another that has lower standards? Doesn't that defeat the object of the standards in the first place?

ETA: and in answer to your other question, sorry i forgot to answer it, i have money saved for exactly that, along with pet insurance which i've all picked up from learning on RU.

I think encouraging people to let rabbits free in the garden unsupervised is very irresponsible. There is no such thing as a totally secure garden, unless you have concrete walls around the whole garden with concrete foundations and a secure wire roof over the whole garden. With cats, stray dogs and foxes around rabbits are easy prey.

With those housing requirements I also doubt they rehome many rabbits.

I can see your point, but I think those policies are ace. It bugs me when people think a cat needs total freedom, but a bunny in a box is ok

If a Rescue strongly believes in something, I think they should stick to it as they will only regret it when they compromise & there's a million other Rescues you can adopt from with less restrictions

Many people also believe that cats should be kept as house cats and have restricted access to the outside.

I'll just find somewhere that will home to me as there are loads of rescues to choose from

Its not always that easy tho. As I said most the rescues in my area insist on attached runs and those that don't, don't vaccinate or neuter either so how can I be sure they are even legitimate rescues.

I'm confused Rhian (and by no means want to start an argument, this is if anything for me to learn from for the future:wave:).

You say you're happy to adhere to a rescues housing standards, but if a rescue you go to says you don't measure up, you'll go to another that has lower standards? Doesn't that defeat the object of the standards in the first place?

ETA: and in answer to your other question, sorry i forgot to answer it, i have money saved for exactly that, along with pet insurance which i've all picked up from learning on RU.

I am just trying to say that if a rescue says that a run has to be 16 feet wide but my garden is only 15 feet wide and won't bend their rules to allow for total floor space then there is nothing I can do to make my garden bigger. This would be the only sort of reason I would go to another rescue as I had said if I can't not won't modify the accommodation then I would look elsewhere.

there are probably rescues who wont re-home bunnies as house bunnies, that doesn't mean the next rescue I would approach has lesser standards by allowing me to adopt a house bunny just slightly different views on whats acceptable for their rabbits :wave::wave::wave:

I think encouraging people to let rabbits free in the garden unsupervised is very irresponsible. There is no such thing as a totally secure garden, unless you have concrete walls around the whole garden with concrete foundations and a secure wire roof over the whole garden. With cats, stray dogs and foxes around rabbits are easy prey.

I agree with this too!

Its not always that easy tho. As I said most the rescues in my area insist on attached runs and those that don't, don't vaccinate or neuter either so how can I be sure they are even legitimate rescues.

You could travel. I have travelled miles to rehome rats so it's doable :wave:

You could travel. I have travelled miles to rehome rats so it's doable

True. But why should a rabbit have to go under the unnecessary stress of travelling long distances when there are needy rabbits on my doorstep?

I am just trying to say that if a rescue says that a run has to be 16 feet wide but my garden is only 15 feet wide and won't bend their rules to allow for total floor space then there is nothing I can do to make my garden bigger. This would be the only sort of reason I would go to another rescue as I had said if I can't not won't modify the accommodation then I would look elsewhere.

Thank yuo for your clarification :) I agree with you in that respect, but back to the OP - it does restrict the people they can rehome to, so some poor buns may be stuck in rescue for a long time, if someone doesn't have a) the space or b) the money to meet their requirements, when another rescue only wants say a 6x2 hutch with a 6x4 run attached. I do agree, the more space the better, but surely that space is better than nothing.

Thank yuo for your clarification :) I agree with you in that respect, but back to the OP - it does restrict the people they can rehome to, so some poor buns may be stuck in rescue for a long time, if someone doesn't have a) the space or b) the money to meet their requirements, when another rescue only wants say a 6x2 hutch with a 6x4 run attached. I do agree, the more space the better, but surely that space is better than nothing.

Other housing could be used e.g. indoor housing so that the bunny can have a room or whole level to play in which would het the total floor space without causing problems with hutches etc.

I've thought this for a long time but not had the nereve to mention it for fear of being jumped on. I think everyone should be judged as an individual as to their suitability for adopting buns. Everyone has different types of houses and gardens. I know people with tiny gardens/yards who have very happy and loved bunnys.

:thumb: I agree, if I ran a rescue it wouldn't matter to me if someone ticked all the boxes with regards accomodation but, had not a shred of interest or compassion towards the animals I wouldn't rehome, equally if someone perfect who will love and cherish their new pets is falling short of the 'recommendations' I wouldn't rule them out. I remember thinking about adopting a puppy from the RSPCA once but, was told 'no way should you have 2 female staffies together' and they will not rehome puppies to people who work at all - I was working part time, since then I have always worked part-time and wouldn't leave my dog for more than 4-5 hours max she is thoroughly spoilt. I still rescued one in effect as I took the runt from a litter in a very rough area and she is now 11 years old. They are most definately shooting themselves in the foot, most of the greyhounds would love nothing more than a good walk in the morning and loll about all day on a sofa and another good walk in the evening, a toilet break at lunch time etc they wouldn't consider this I don't think and yet people's circumstances change anyway - so what do they do if they rehome to someone who isn't working and they have to go to work 2 years later - take the dog back ? No - same with rabbits, I think it's more about the person and how they live etc - a vibe.

But how can you say that this rabbit can have smaller housing than this other rabbit just because someone irresponsible kept one of them in a shoe box? Also, people will just go for the cheap option and I think it's a slippered slope for sub-standard care. If someone is not willing to spend a couple of hundred on decent accommodation then it's unlikely they will keep up with vaccinations etc.

yes I think bit's a little unfair too, i can see the theory behind what you are saying completely, but generally speaking it IS a couple of hundred quid for a 6 foot hutch with a 6x4 run attached (i've got one) but it's not always about the money either, we rent too and there's no way on earth we could have a 10 foot run in our little garden, it takes up 3/4 of the lawn as it is. When it's nice weather on an evening or at weekends, so we can supervise they are allowed free-range of the garden and i seem them performing many a binky and happy flop in their run, so while i would love to have a massive aviary/shed and huge run set up that some people have it's just not possible and I don't feel my buns are unhappy or neglected in any way whatsoever, and i think it would be a pity if they were stuck in a rescue because my setup wasn't deemed suitable, but I guess the other poster who said rescues should stick to what they believe in is right as there will be other places would be fine with the original set up described.

Last trip I took to wood green they had only 2 buns, big relatively open plan space. We were looking for cats at the time, but I got distracted by bunnies. Personally Im not sure my space would match up to a lot of rescues standards. My bun has a 5ft6x2ft x2ft3 hutch for dark hours and approx 35ftx8ft ish patio area surrounded by bunny safe fencing plus a 6x4x2 run on the grass thats moveable. The patio is not covered and our dogs are also allowed on there. Its not how i would like it ideally, but as its my parents house I cant really change too much. I think he has a fun time, safe with lots of space and toys and the option of a grass area when supervised (the grass area is not protected by our dogs and so I worry about cats etc). He gets indoor kitchen space when its too wet outside to make sure he's exercised. Im sure I dont meet the requirements for some rescues, but im glad that theyre encouraging more space for natural behaviour, and I know that some rescues are (or possibly have to be) more flexible than others.

i have these worries sometimes, too.

I have some of these worries too. We free-range our buns most of the time in a 6m x 8m walled garden with a shelter. Our hutch is 5' x 2' two-tier. Our run is only for if free-ranging can't happen because the oil-delivery is due, or some such. Our run is 5' x 5' which would be silly if it was used daily, but is fine for now and then. It is not attached. I often have this feeling that we would be rejected on homecheck. I'm nervous even asking. Would we?

I have some of these worries too. We free-range our buns most of the time in a 6m x 8m walled garden with a shelter. Our hutch is 5' x 2' two-tier. Our run is only for if free-ranging can't happen because the oil-delivery is due, or some such. Our run is 5' x 5' which would be silly if it was used daily, but is fine for now and then. It is not attached. I often have this feeling that we would be rejected on homecheck. I'm nervous even asking. Would we?

Depends on the rescue. Some would say that your hutch is fine as it is at least as big as a single tier 6ft hutch and would also say that your run is fine as it's a little bigger than a 6x4ft. Others would fail you for not having a big enough run or admitting to free ranging unsupervised but other rescues would consider your run too small but pass you based on the free range time. This was kinda the point of lots of posters, there is no consistancy between rescues so if you pass a homecheck with one you may fail in the same week for another.

I agree with this as well. In my area it is totally irresponsible to encourage people to free range their buns, there are far too many dangers for them. I have people nearby who left their rabbits out and had them taken by foxes.

Back