• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are housing requirements getting too strict?

Went to see who Julie and Jordan were on Wood Green's website and they are my babies:love::love:

I took these scrummy two and their mummy home from Lymington for two days before meeting with Helen and all the bunnies going on to Wood Green.
The first day here, it was a warm sunny day, and they were out in a run for the first time and Ive never seen something so weeny look so happy to be out of their small hutch and on grass. Call me soppy, but it brought a tear and I almost kept them. One did a binky:love:

They so deserve the best anyone can offer them and I can see why you were interested.

Ahhh! :love: Well who knows, I might be able to pass the home check and I might be able to adopt them if they are still there in a couple of months. Fingers crossed! Thing is they are just so gorgeous I'm sure someone will snap them up. xx

I think most rescues can be leniant on circumstances ones seen. I looked into a rescue near us and my houseing was different to there recommended. Whenbi had my homecheck initially if I didn't make it slightly smaller I wouldn't be able to adopt as too much room would of caused my buns to fall out :shock: they have been living happily together. They specd free range time ad I could bot justify it. Living on a frm with foxs in our garden in broad daylight I wouldt take the risk. When they came and saw they agreed and as the bun would still be getting a big avery they were more then happy to rehome to me.
They may well agree. Diff solution if it's bot up to there specification

Also, I agree that accommodation should be large, not knocking that at all. Its more the consistency of the requirements that could do with being standardised a bit so that people like me can buy the right sized accommmodation in the first place. I know that once they get access to the aviary Widget will be in 7th heaven, she really seems to enjoy the free range time in the house- she is a real acrobatic bun. :love:

Do they actually recommend total freeranging 24 hours a day, even when no one is home?

I decided to look up their website. This is their advice sheet for small animals - http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/assets/default/Site/en/uploads/image/FAQsSmallAnimalssection2010.pdf

They require this; "5ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch area, made of wood & 10ft x 5ft 4ft run area made of a wooden frame and covered with chicken wire."

However I can't find anything anywhere about free range. :?

Hi the fact sheet I received was specifically on rabbits. It doesn't say whether or not the buns should be given free range in the garden all day, just says what I quoted in my first post.

I'm afraid I don't agree with the people who say, well considering where they came from, a regular hutch with little run is fine. Just because its better then what they had, why should they have to live in something which is 'ok'? I think its great that rescues have high standards, in a way I think it kinda weeds out the ones who aren't willing to spend £100's for just a 'rabbit' I think it helps highlight what a big commitment rabbits are.

With those housing requirements I also doubt they rehome many rabbits.

I'm afraid I think your wrong :) When we rehomed Bart from there, they implied that the rabbits go very very quickly. And it does seem that way looking on their website there are very little buns that you see twice on there. They also won't reserve rabbits for more than two weeks, as they all go so quickly :wave:

Kittykat23uk, though Wood Green seem quite strict I found that they seemed quite acceptable of accomadation that is different.:wave:

When we rehomed Bart from there, they implied that the rabbits go very very quickly. And it does seem that way looking on their website there are very little buns that you see twice on there. They also won't reserve rabbits for more than two weeks, as they all go so quickly :wave:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock::cry: They will surely be gone before I get back from my trip. Oh well, I cry....:cry:

Kittykat23uk, though Wood Green seem quite strict I found that they seemed quite acceptable of accomadation that is different.:wave:

well that's a relief!

Do the rescues keep the rabbits in accommodation of this size too?

That's always my point.

I went to a rabbit rescue a few weeks ago and they were "supplied" by the RSPCA. They were kept in awful conditions in a 2ft by 2ft cage. And there were millions of flies everywhere. Some had been there for quite some time living in that state.

Yet, when I enquired about adopting from the RSPCA I was told that my specifications with daily free range wasn't adequate enough?! :?

I'm in Norfolk too and am hoping to adopt. (once I convince my mum).
I constantly worry that my accommodation isn't big enough.

Pebbles has a 5x4x2ft hutch with an attached 7x5ft run and has 24hour access to this (weld mesh). Sometimes I'm sat in there with her thinking 'this isn't big enough for 2', but then again, looking at some requirements it is.

But my biggest problem would be bonding. I don't have the room so would need the rescue to help with this, so it must be a local rescue :?

That's always my point.

I went to a rabbit rescue a few weeks ago and they were "supplied" by the RSPCA. They were kept in awful conditions in a 2ft by 2ft cage. And there were millions of flies everywhere. Some had been there for quite some time living in that state.

Yet, when I enquired about adopting from the RSPCA I was told that my specifications with daily free range wasn't adequate enough?! :?

That sort of size cage really isn't acceptable, but I don't think many rescues would be able to abide by their recommendations - mainly due to the sheer number of buns that they would get through. You have to remember, that at rescues it is usually only temporary. Therefore, space isn't so much of an issue and although it would be lovely, with the numbers of buns waiting it isn't always practical to have mansions. I know when I went to pick up Noah, the pen he and his brother were in was probably 2ftx4ft. Of course, if they could lead by example that would be fantastic - but for those rescues where it isn't practical, I think so long as the owners are knowledgeable and have been properly informed and house checked (and subsequently have an adequate set-up), then I wouldn't have an issue.

Another member did say that for this particular rescue, they have large pens :)

That's always my point.

Hmmm, I know at Heydon woodgreen they are kept in brick shed type things, with attatched sheltered aviary/runs. Then the rabbits are put onto runs on the grass during the day :)

The place you mentioned sounds appauling, I can't believe they can be seen as a 'rescue' :shock:

Other housing could be used e.g. indoor housing so that the bunny can have a room or whole level to play in which would het the total floor space without causing problems with hutches etc.

:shock: I would love to have a house big enough to be able to give up a whole room in my house to the buns.

I agree with the OP in that I dont think its a good idea for rescues to be encouraging free range buns as this isnt always a safe option

:shock: I would love to have a house big enough to be able to give up a whole room in my house to the buns.

This is our plan! We are hoping to move next year, and when we do it will have to have a room for the buns and guinea pigs. That way they don't have to bunk in our room :D

Ahhh! :love: Well who knows, I might be able to pass the home check and I might be able to adopt them if they are still there in a couple of months. Fingers crossed! Thing is they are just so gorgeous I'm sure someone will snap them up. xx

Is there a reason not until November, I missed your earlier posts.

I think its crazy having restrictions like that. My hutch is 6ft x 2ft and the run is 5ft x 5ft. My rabbits are perfectly happy, they go into their run each day for around 8 hours in the winter, and around 12 hours in the summer. I wouldn't be able to afford or fit in a 10ft x 5ft run. That doesn't make me a bad owner, it just means a rabbit isn't being rehomed to a home that could care for it. It's very sad. They should set realistic restrictions for rehomers.

I think its crazy having restrictions like that. My hutch is 6ft x 2ft and the run is 5ft x 5ft. My rabbits are perfectly happy, they go into their run each day for around 8 hours in the winter, and around 12 hours in the summer. I wouldn't be able to afford or fit in a 10ft x 5ft run. That doesn't make me a bad owner, it just means a rabbit isn't being rehomed to a home that could care for it. It's very sad. They should set realistic restrictions for rehomers.

They are realistic and they don't have too much trouble in helping people that go there see that it's in the interest of the rabbits to try and give them as much space as possible.

I would suggest that rabbits will be happy enough in the space you offer, but would possibly, given the choice love to have much more room if it was up to them.

Doesn't make you a bad owner, BUT, why shouldn't the rescues aim higher than that size that you offer.

As I said, if the rescues don't push for more space on behalf of the rabbits, who will? Certainly not the pet shops, the RSPCA or the people giving up the rabbits in free - ads. The buck stops with the rescues as far as improving welfare standards it seems so places like Wood Green have to make a stand.

They are realistic and they don't have too much trouble in helping people that go there see that it's in the interest of the rabbits to try and give them as much space as possible.

I would suggest that rabbits will be happy enough in the space you offer, but would possibly, given the choice love to have much more room if it was up to them.

Doesn't make you a bad owner, BUT, why shouldn't the rescues aim higher than that size that you offer.

As I said, if the rescues don't push for more space on behalf of the rabbits, who will? Certainly not the pet shops, the RSPCA or the people giving up the rabbits in free - ads. The buck stops with the rescues as far as improving welfare standards it seems so places like Wood Green have to make a stand.

I agree. I think they are doing a great thing. IMO 6x2ft for 12 hours + without an attatched run permanently, doesn't really give them the chance to run whenever they want to. I hear my lot thundering at random times all throughout the night - and they wouldn't be able to do that if they were locked up. Spacious cages are beneficial, and great for the buns - what this rescue is doing is fantastic. They are setting a higher limit, which increases the average size of set ups - so more buns are getting more space. Kudos to them!

I'm afraid I don't agree with the people who say, well considering where they came from, a regular hutch with little run is fine. Just because its better then what they had, why should they have to live in something which is 'ok'? I think its great that rescues have high standards, in a way I think it kinda weeds out the ones who aren't willing to spend £100's for just a 'rabbit' I think it helps highlight what a big commitment rabbits are.

I'm afraid I think your wrong :) When we rehomed Bart from there, they implied that the rabbits go very very quickly. And it does seem that way looking on their website there are very little buns that you see twice on there. They also won't reserve rabbits for more than two weeks, as they all go so quickly :wave:

My thoughts entirely. I think the rescues criteria is spot on, the bigger the better has got to be good!

My thoughts entirely. I think the rescues criteria is spot on, the bigger the better has got to be good!

My worry is, while it would be FANTASTIC if this was the law, and nobody could keep a bunny in anything less, it's not. People will just say. 'woah, we can't afford that! Let's just get a bunny and a 3 foot hutch from P@H.' and end up adding to the rescues' problem.

Back