• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anything to gain weight?

My beautiful Ralph was on cortisone (spelling) - ones. Little white tabs his were. Prescribed by FHB around 2007 but I checked in with her (by email) about them when I had Rudey. She acknowledged they were controversial, we both acknowledged how much they helped Ralph (she did say they wouldn't have been appropriate for Rudey cos of his poorly kidneys). So I've no knowledge but one big fat happy experience of using them
Ah that's really good to know! [emoji7]

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Thanks I'll have a read :)

I would maybe ask William if the use of a Corticosteroid with the known possibility of suppression of the immune system *might* be a significant risk of him developing a bacterial infection relating to his megacolon- Toxic Megacolon.I am sure William has factored this in when assessing the risks v benefits of prescribing the corticosteroid. It is just something I would want to double check. Not that I am neurotic of course :oops:

Typically I can’t find any documented information about Toxic Megacolon in Rabbits, but this refers to the condition in humans

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/toxic-megacolon

Hi Grace my bunny was also on a corticosteroid- as she has an unusual and v rare eye issue. Like Joey and Boo I gave Winnie a few courses of tablets under the care of an opthalmologist. It was a positive experience, and for me the benefits outweighed the side effects. She may be going back on them soon, as she has a load of other issues! I’m sure your vet knows what he’s doing, and you’ll just need to weigh up the pros and cons for Atticus. They are controversial but can be very effective

I mentioned Emeraid previously and didn’t reply, just because I’m not on here much. But Zigs just likes the tastes so eats it.

I would maybe ask William if the use of a Corticosteroid with the known possibility of suppression of the immune system *might* be a significant risk of him developing a bacterial infection relating to his megacolon- Toxic Megacolon.I am sure William has factored this in when assessing the risks v benefits of prescribing the corticosteroid. It is just something I would want to double check. Not that I am neurotic of course :oops:

Typically I can’t find any documented information about Toxic Megacolon in Rabbits, but this refers to the condition in humans

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/toxic-megacolon

Yea definitely!

Hi Grace my bunny was also on a corticosteroid- as she has an unusual and v rare eye issue. Like Joey and Boo I gave Winnie a few courses of tablets under the care of an opthalmologist. It was a positive experience, and for me the benefits outweighed the side effects. She may be going back on them soon, as she has a load of other issues! I’m sure your vet knows what he’s doing, and you’ll just need to weigh up the pros and cons for Atticus. They are controversial but can be very effective

I mentioned Emeraid previously and didn’t reply, just because I’m not on here much. But Zigs just likes the tastes so eats it.

Thanks for letting me know! :) I'm so glad it worked for your bun. That's good to know about the Emeraid too!

How's Atticus getting on, Gracie?
Was just thinking this myself x
Not much to report so far tbh. I haven't weighed him but even prior to starting the steroids I think he looked a bit better.. Due to nothing nutritious, just oats and root veg, ima weigh him though to see :) I've gotta ask about what painkiller we can use for if he gets a gut slow down tho coz I'll need that on hand if it happens.

That's really good that you think he looks a bit better, even before you started the steroids. I hope he's gained some weight, even if it's only a little.

Not much to report so far tbh. I haven't weighed him but even prior to starting the steroids I think he looked a bit better.. Due to nothing nutritious, just oats and root veg, ima weigh him though to see :) I've gotta ask about what painkiller we can use for if he gets a gut slow down tho coz I'll need that on hand if it happens.

I'm so pleased :D I think your plan with his diet was well thought out and so it's very possible that he will have put on some weight with it. Don't also forget the Pumpkin :) That, the oats and the root veg are all good nutrition for what he needs atm, which is to give him more energy and increase his weight.

Yes, I agree regarding the painkiller. It's obviously best to be prepared.

Yea I'm really hopeful we can keep him going like this, hopefully the steroids will only help too.

I had a right freak out first time I did them though [emoji38] I was like omg I can't find enough skin [emoji24] I grabbed Clementine, easy peasy so much skin could do it all over her body [emoji38] but on him it's really tricky, once I found a bit I was happy with tho it went fine and only took a second, which is better really I think, it's over so fast for him and he was nomming more oats straight after, whereas if I had tablets and was syringing it, I reckon he'd be all stressed after tbh. I feel like because my anxiety is worse than usual atm tho that I'm more panicky about it [emoji38]

Yea I'm really hopeful we can keep him going like this, hopefully the steroids will only help too.

I had a right freak out first time I did them though [emoji38] I was like omg I can't find enough skin [emoji24] I grabbed Clementine, easy peasy so much skin could do it all over her body [emoji38] but on him it's really tricky, once I found a bit I was happy with tho it went fine and only took a second, which is better really I think, it's over so fast for him and he was nomming more oats straight after, whereas if I had tablets and was syringing it, I reckon he'd be all stressed after tbh. I feel like because my anxiety is worse than usual atm tho that I'm more panicky about it [emoji38]

I much prefer giving meds via injection as I think it’s less stressful for the Rabbit :) Hope Atticus will continue to cope as well as possible and that he will gain a bit of weight. He’s such a handsome boy :love:

I much prefer giving meds via injection as I think it’s less stressful for the Rabbit :) Hope Atticus will continue to cope as well as possible and that he will gain a bit of weight. He’s such a handsome boy :love:
Yea I wish I was giving them to a different bun because it would be easier, but yea I agree [emoji38]

Yea he really is [emoji7]

Ugh, I hate injecting buns, even though they don't give a toss. Boo has ridiculously thick skin which doesnt help. Ralph used to eat his steroid tabs straight from my hand :love:

I hope your lovely boy thrives on his new regime :love:

Ugh, I hate injecting buns, even though they don't give a toss. Boo has ridiculously thick skin which doesnt help. Ralph used to eat his steroid tabs straight from my hand :love:

I hope your lovely boy thrives on his new regime :love:
Oh wow Ralph was a dream! [emoji7]

Atticus after his injection tonight, his poor bald neck :(
90899635588e14e25bf221fc8be5f1a8.jpg
425c8fcfb7b48a477418f345a1afec35.jpg

He is so handsome :love: he looks happy, bright and alert to me :love:
Yea he's really alert actually! I should've said he didn't eat that huge piece of narna, it was Evelyns and she gave him it [emoji38] he nibbled it but then I took it away when she ran off again [emoji38]

Aww, beautiful Atticus, enjoying his oats and carrot. :love: He really does look bright and happy and alert, I agree. :love: That was really sweet of Evelyn to gift him half a banana. :lol:

Oh a springy Atticus bless him, he's still got a definite spark there :D you are doing a great job with him Graciee, he's a lucky bun xx

Back