• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone know about Stroke's, Zippy has had one 8-(

The two Buns I have had who suffered a stroke ( Leo has had 3 and the late Dr Finlay had 4 ) were given a steroid injection straight away to reduce inflammation in the CNS. They were also given abx to cover for secondary infection (steroids reduce the efficacy of Bun's Immune System). Metoclopromide and fluids (IV) were given too. Both Bun's symptoms improved markedly over 48 hours and I made sure they had both physical and mental physio. The latter to try to get them eating for themself and making an effort to get about.

Leo is 8 now and although Dr F passed away a few months ago he got to the age of 11

Sending vibes for Zippy

:)

Thanks Sooz and Jane, omg just rushed back to the vets to get the food before I read about steroid injection so I never got to ask about it, but they will have closed now, they close at 7 :(

Thanks guys and thanks Carmen. XXXX

She is eating by herself now, so feeling a lot happier, although her face is still quite bad she does look quite bright in herself andhas been wondering around the landing.

I search under stroke and "cerebrovascular accident" in all 4 of those rabbit medicine books that I have. I am surprise that 3 out of 4 does not have a section on it.

The one that does, only have 1 small paragraph on it, and clearly it's not useful. Regardless, the paragraph itself could explain why it's not listed anywhere:

From Ferrets, Rabbits,, and Rodents "Clinical Medicine and Surgery", p207:

Cerebrovascular accidents have not been documented but often are suspected in older rabbits that develop sudden, unilateral loss of motor function. If other causes of neurologic disease have been ruled out, a diagnosis of stroke can be suggested. Supportive care allows recovery of function in many cases.

Although head trauma is probably not common, a head blow or fall can cause brain damage and neurologic signs that mimic those of encephalitis.

Thank you, she is still with us, I have just cleaned up her eye because she has conjunctivitis and given her, her breakfast which she's tucked into :)

Thanks Kim :)

Jason we crossed, she has deffo had no head trauma, but she has had a large amount of ga's the last ga's she had (a few weeks back) she nearly didn't come back to us, I wonder if that could be connected?

Phew, just came on here to see how Zippy was... I'm glad she is ok, I hope today is a positive day for her (and you!!) xxxx

Thanks Laura :D, just been googling strokes after ga's and there does seem to be a trend :(

Ive only just seen this.poor little Zippy I really hope she pulls through this.Its a positive sign that she Is eating.Sending loads of recovery vibes Zippys way

Is the GA due to a dental? I can't remember off hand. As the only GA that can be shorten is that link I sent to last week, i.e., a deep sedation then an ultra short GA for dental.

If it's a real surgery, there is nothing you can do, you have to get a proper GA

I am sorry to read about Zippy. This sounds similar to Daisy. She had one side of her face looking like she had a stroke. She eventually went to Bristol where a very nasty lower ear infection has been diagnosed. She has an eye problem because she cannot blink on the side of the droop, so has now tear drop meds. She had lost a bottom tooth and we connected this to the face problem and thought she had had a trauma. This was a mistake on mine and my vets part, because the two problems were unconnected.

Last edited:
Back