• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anybunniez Rabbit Rescue and Rehome Network on Facebook.

Just to clear up any confusion from an RU point of view. With the odd exception of one or two rare cases when help has been asked for to get a rabbit out of a particularly bad situation/home, the purpose of the RU free ads team is to give advice on better/safer ways of rehoming, homechecking, vaccs, neutering etc

I did the free ads on here alone for several years and yes during that time I think I only came across a handful of buns that were seriously at risk and needed immediate intervention. The rest of the time it was offering advice, most of which was not graciously received!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Poor Tuckerbunnies I do hope you don`t let this upset you. You do an amazing job looking after buns I am in awe of people like you. Just maybe switch off from the forum for a few days until you feel better able to cope. You are doing your best and alot of people can see that.

I did the free ads on here alone for several years and yes during that time I think I only came across a handful of buns that were seriously at risk and needed immediate intervention. The rest of the time it was offering advice, most of which was not graciously received!

Yes you did you did a great job Liz

Agree with Jill and other peoples points as in this could be a good idea if managed well .... but please please be carefull ...if managed badly some people could be left with vet bills , some animals could not get the care they need and some fosterers buns could suffer if rescues arnt quarantined correctly .

good luck ..I hope it works out ... but please be carefull

Ok going to answer the safe in rescues bit here. Yes we do promote rescues and would love to have more on board. We have a list of rescues from rabbit rehome on a thread on there. Honeybunny we are not trying to take homes that could be given to rescue bun's. We are trying to save the rabbits that could slip through due to most rescues being full. Personally i can not sit back and watch a rabbit living in hell because a rescue has no space to take them on. What we are doing is another version of what i have seen on here with the free ad team. Most of the rabbits we help are pet rabbits which people are not caring for.

We take what we are doing very seriously. We do it because we love rabbits. Everyday i look at Rocky now in his forever home loved and cared for and know why i got into this.

From my own point of view, I need much more information before I am able to offer to help because although wanting to get rabbits to a safe place is commendable it all takes finance - sometimes a lot of it. Before taking in a rabbit in need (to foster/transport) I would need to know there is financial back up. Some of these rabbits might actually be on rescue waiting lists and if the rabbits in rescues find homes then these rabbits will find a safe place. Not all of them will of course but that's a much bigger story.

I know from my own experience of taking rabbits in from previous neglect backgrounds that some have started to cost quite quickly. I got off quite lightly with Binky and Shadow but initally they looked as if they both might have serious dental issues. Shadow would have struggled to find a home with all his health issues. He was losing weight and having blood tests within about 3 months of me taking him in, which could reasonably be the time he would spend in foster care had I gone with the original plan to rehome them. Elijah was having skull x-rays only 2 weeks after me rescuing him.

My reservations are purely because of the lack of information, which might simply be that the network is new and taking off faster than information can be put out, but I do feel if you are reaching out to forums asking for people to join then we need to know what commitment we would be making. I will be watching and hoping to assist at some point but cannot make any offers until I know more about a lot of the basics such as funding and rehoming policies etc.

From my own point of view, I need much more information before I am able to offer to help because although wanting to get rabbits to a safe place is commendable it all takes finance - sometimes a lot of it. Before taking in a rabbit in need (to foster/transport) I would need to know there is financial back up. Some of these rabbits might actually be on rescue waiting lists and if the rabbits in rescues find homes then these rabbits will find a safe place. Not all of them will of course but that's a much bigger story.

I know from my own experience of taking rabbits in from previous neglect backgrounds that some have started to cost quite quickly. I got off quite lightly with Binky and Shadow but initally they looked as if they both might have serious dental issues. Shadow would have struggled to find a home with all his health issues. He was losing weight and having blood tests within about 3 months of me taking him in, which could reasonably be the time he would spend in foster care had I gone with the original plan to rehome them. Elijah was having skull x-rays only 2 weeks after me rescuing him.

My reservations are purely because of the lack of information, which might simply be that the network is new and taking off faster than information can be put out, but I do feel if you are reaching out to forums asking for people to join then we need to know what commitment we would be making. I will be watching and hoping to assist at some point but cannot make any offers until I know more about a lot of the basics such as funding and rehoming policies etc.

I do agree with your point of view. When we have sorted everything out and up and running i will put a new post up with all the details for everyone.

You can then make a informed choice on the details of that post. Anybunniez only started at the end of November and has taken off like a whirlwind with twenty bunnies rescued so far. So we have been a bit busy but we are working towards our goals for the group.

I do agree with your point of view. When we have sorted everything out and up and running i will put a new post up with all the details for everyone.

You can then make a informed choice on the details of that post. Anybunniez only started at the end of November and has taken off like a whirlwind with twenty bunnies rescued so far. So we have been a bit busy but we are working towards our goals for the group.

That's great. I think the concept of the organisation is wonderful and I wish it huge success. I would be happy to be on board when I know the ins and outs of how it works. I have to admit to having taken on more than I was prepared for with a few rescued bunnies in the distant past (though I'm still glad I did it looking back), but having had that experience I am wary of being there again.

Would it helped if I posted my understanding of the group and how I got involved - as I've already helped with 3 bunnies via the group? I'll do it anyway :lol:

For me, I was under the impression that it was a case of "do what you can" - not about joining up, taking on a bunch of rabbits and ending up in deep doodoo because you're overrun. I joined because I can offer transport to bunnies that need to get from A to B in the surrounding area. I can also offer donations towards rescues, vaccinations etc when money is good (not this month :lol:)

As I've posted on here recently, I was recently involved in the collection of 3 bunnies which I had appealed to find fosters for via the group, as they were large rabbits being kept in tiny hutches without any hay, which I considered detrimental to their health. In the end I found a local rescue who was willing to take these rabbits on. I picked up the rabbits, paid for them out of my own pocket (pregnant lady getting rid of her pets, not a breeder fyi) and delivered them to the rescue - I also then made a significant donation and asked others who could afford a few quid to do the same.

That is it - my contribution. Others have been able to take in rabbits, some just short term fostering. It's about doing what you can within the limits of your capabilities. I don't worry about funds and backup finances because I simply take a back seat when I know I can't afford to run around that month, and I would hope that other members of the group have the sense to do the same.

I have a few concerns myself about the amount of bunnies that are being mentioned in there simply because they are free ads, but the admins seem to be dealing with this so is much of a muchness.

Not sure if that helps answer any questions or just creates more, and apols if I'm talking out of turn admins, but that's my overall interpretation/interaction.

I think that's a good post Jemjabella, from the point of view of an individual who wants to help, you do what you can and if you can't do it/can't afford it then you don't.

It's quite a large group and I do recognise a number of the names on there. Fundraising might be a good way forward to help towards costs incurred with the more problematic rabbits, either within the group or wider? Fundraising can be hard work (I know from experience!), but it is easier within a wide group of like-minded people.

I think that's a good post Jemjabella, from the point of view of an individual who wants to help, you do what you can and if you can't do it/can't afford it then you don't.

It's quite a large group and I do recognise a number of the names on there. Fundraising might be a good way forward to help towards costs incurred with the more problematic rabbits, either within the group or wider? Fundraising can be hard work (I know from experience!), but it is easier within a wide group of like-minded people.

Agreed, the post explained it well. I'd love to be part of it but unfortunately as my travel radius is about 20 miles I'd not be much use that way:oops::oops:. I'd be happy to provide stop-overs, emergency fostering etc but it's just the thought of a rabbit in my care requiring, say for example blockage surgery costing £800 that would leave me panicky. I always breathe a huge sigh of relief when the insurance is up and running on a new bunny. I love the concept of the group though and though I don't use Facebook hope I can be of some use at some point.

please dont take this the wrong way, helping rabbits in anyway is great and Im glad that yous are able and willing to do so, but would it maybe not be more beneficial to help your local rescues instead of starting up this new venture?

If you have time to help rabbits, and/or space to foster im sure alot of rescues would love to have you on board. This also means that you would not have to worry about vet bills, and you wouldnt need to worry about rehoming the rabbit yourself (which is very difficult as you need to advertise the rabbit, homecheck etc - rescues are already geared up for this ).

The reason rescues cant help all rabbits is because they do not have the funds, space and support to do so. So by helping them you allow them to help more rabbits- possibly the ones on these sites.

I love the idea of having everyone joined up/ in contact to help transport. I just worry that some people may end up in trouble. Ive fostered many many rabbits myself and it would of been a nightmare if i hadnt had the support of an orginisation behind me.

just my thoughts
Viv

please dont take this the wrong way, helping rabbits in anyway is great and Im glad that yous are able and willing to do so, but would it maybe not be more beneficial to help your local rescues instead of starting up this new venture?

Personally, I have already offered some of my (professional) services to a couple of small local rescues and hope to be a fosterer at some point in the future, but this depends on my long term work plans. I don't think it has to be all or nothing :thumb:

From what I have read, there are no funds :?

This is my understanding too.

Also today someone has posted a panicked post as they are being overwhelmed with bunnies or requests to take them :( I think this is what those of us who have been involved in rescue for some time are understandably concerned about

Just asking a question for anybody that is involved to answer if they can.

Where do the bunnies ultimately end up? In reputable rescues or in private homes? If in private homes do they get a homecheck or is it a case of - anywhere is better than where they came from?

If it's a private home, who decides if the home is suitable or doesn't that become part of the criteria?

The reason I'm asking is that if there are no 'minimum standards' doesn't this mean that someone who has been turned down by a rescue (possibly for a very valid reason) could get involved and take in a rabbit from this group when they'd otherwise not pass a homecheck? Doesn't that equate to rescues that homecheck ending up with fewer adoptions as people MIGHT (only might) just walk away when asked to improve their housing/husbandry in favour of taking a rabbit in from a fosterer for this group?

This isn't a criticism of a group trying to make a difference but I'm just wondering?

Bunny networks can be a very good idea but I have also seen people getting rabbits out of bad situations only to place them somewhere else that may actually turn out to not be all that great either so I'm not asking the above question to be negative, but just because I worry about anything that might be seen as a way for even less enquiries at rescues that hold high rehoming standards.

Thank you in advance if anyone can answer this.

Personally, I have already offered some of my (professional) services to a couple of small local rescues and hope to be a fosterer at some point in the future, but this depends on my long term work plans. I don't think it has to be all or nothing :thumb:

Thats great jemjabella :)
no I dont think so either, it was just a suggestion for another way people who are wanting to help rabbits can :)

Here's a view from someone who has been keeping up with this thread, someone who is just a 'normal' bunny owner, someone who volunteers at her local rescue, fosters sick rabbits, and does her bit to help other rescues too....

It would be nice if everyone could work together and instead of beating enthusiasm down with negative comments, harness the enthusiasm/dedication and work together to create a brilliant country-wide network. Instead of just giving negative comments, balance it out by also trying a more constructive and positive approach, give advice on how you cope, how you started up initially, how you keep things within your limits, how you fund your rescue and what level of back up funding you have for emergencies.

I am afraid that the view I have formed from some (not all) comments on this thread is that any rabbit that a 'proper' or 'reputable' rescue cannot take in, and probably as a consequence will end up on free ads or worse, can just rot in their living hell. Maybe it is not meant that way, but this is how it comes across to me.

I appreciate what existing rescues have to deal with, goodness knows I realise how hard it is (I work at Kirkby rescue, remember). I have seen and experienced horrors that will stay in my mind forever.

i have been a member for a little while on this forum but always been silent...I am a member of the ADMIN TEAM on this rescue group on facebook
I am appalled to be told that apparently bunny loving people find it necessary to bombard a fellow admin member with threatening private messages.
we are a new group we are learning on a hourly basis but our goal and aim stays the same we want to change the life one by one of a bunny not fortunate to have a beautiful loving home like you and I give ours.
I cannot see how you would think that by taking baby steps into the world of rescue some of you find the need to abuse and criticise us instead of supporting encouraging and giving us advice.
I cannot speak for the rest of ADMIN team on the group but if you cannot be constructive with your criticism and kind in stead of cruel I do not care what you think!
we have saved bunnies got them in foster homes where they are safe warm and have love and excellent diets who are have and will be vaccinated and neutered before finding them amazing homes where they will live the rest of their lives happy and content.
if some of you started your rescues and did everything right had no teething problems and everything from the beginning to today got e3verything right feel free to give us advice on how not to go wrong and how to be absolutely perfect like you because I would love to hear it.
we are a group of bunny loving people who are giving our time experience and homes and money to giving bunnies one at a time a chance.
how this can be worse for bunnies that we are saving I am having a hard time understanding.
I am human so are the rest of the beautiful people that are helping in our quest to change the world one bunny at a time not the world?
I take my hats off to all the experience and good a lot of you do on here in rescues I really do so please instead of being cruel vindictive and sending threatening private messages take a leaf out of the rabbit book and be kind serene and most of all forgiving
regards

Back