• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another bedding question

Kim_w

Mama Doe
So I posted before I got my buns on sunday about bedding set up. I used shaving all over with straw on top in bedroom and fresh hay everyday in living area. Gave them a full clean out on Tue and they need doing again today. I am defietly going to order them some proper litter was thinking megazorb?? Do you put the litter on the floor of the whole hutch then top with the straw and hay or just use the litter in a litter tray? between sunday and tue they used their bedroom as a toilet but now seem to have a dedicated toilet spot so I am keen to get a litter try for there asap.

Megazorb is good quality but not cheap so just in the litter tray would be far more economical. You can either cover it with hay or put a hay rack above it.

I'd be getting rid of the wood shavings as they can cause respiratory and eye problems. Newspaper is a cheap and safe alternative.

My hutches have lino, I only put litter in the trays especially at this time of year. In the winter I might use newspaper covered with straw if its especially cold with hay in the litter trays so they understand the difference between trays and rest of hutch.

Ref bedding Fitch or Megazorb are both good options. I've also used Auboise and cardboard bedding.

I use newspaper & hay. Wood shavings a definite 'no' as already posted above, can cause respiratory problems.

Yes I won't buy any more shavings after cleaning them out today. Megazorb is currently £10 on the hay experts so I am going to order a bag and a corner litter try and see how we get on with that. Which other litters do you recomend? We dont really get newspapers so I definatly need some kind of base. My husband reckons he will beable to lino the hutch so we will get that dont asap

Cat litter trays are bigger and often more popular with bunnies - some of the corner ones can be so small.

I use fitch. Brilliant product at only £20 for 120l (around 25kgs)
The girls are indoors so they have towels down as a base and then have fitch with hay in the litter trays but if outside I'd be tempted to lino the cage.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

The bigger the better for the litter tray, they both need to be able to get in there at the same time. Corner/ordinary cat litter trays aren't big enough really. This will help avoid toileting elsewhere, and spraying wee over the top. Litter training will likely improve once they settle in, you have Lino down, and further still once they are also spayed. A lot of us use the 32l underbed storage boxes as litter trays. I use wood pellet cat litter pellets in litter trays, with plenty of hay as they like to eat, poo and pee in the same area.

I

ordinary cat litter trays aren't big enough really.

Sorry I should of said, my cat litter trays were all classed as large/jumbo. I've also lots of garden tidy/potting trays which are great sizes and the ones with a low front are fab for aging bunnies.

Sorry I should of said, my cat litter trays were all classed as large/jumbo. I've also lots of garden tidy/potting trays which are great sizes and the ones with a low front are fab for aging bunnies.

I'm so slow at typing and was also multitasking so didn't even see your post :oops: I agree, I have actually used a jumbo cat litter tray before, and those garden trays are brilliant :thumb:

Potting trays are a good idea - Alfie's getting a bit old and doddery now so it might be time for me to switch. :? Underbed storage boxes are a good idea too and only about £4 or £5 each. :thumb:

Mine are in a kennel and run now, with foam mats as flooring and I use the underbed storage boxes lined with newspaper then filled with hay. Megazorb is good and very absorbent; we used to use it for the gerbils and I only stopped using it for the bunnies to save a bit of cash really as we have plenty of newspaper.

A lot of bunnies like to use their bedroom area as a toilet in a hutch set up - all my bunnies have (I think they like to poo in private lol). When my pair were in a hutch/run, the litter tray was in the bedroom area and I lined the whole floor with stick on vinyl tiles. The walls were clad with plywood too, so we also tiled the walls to make them easier to wipe down if there was any pee spray. I didn't use any other bedding - just the litter trays and, in winter, I would pop in a couple of cardboard boxes filled with hay in case they wanted to snuggle up in them to keep warm..... which they never did, ungrateful bunnies! :roll::lol::lol:

When my pair were in a hutch/run, the litter tray was in the bedroom area

This was why I removed the divider when I had hutches, much easier to fit a decent sized tray and clean out. They seem to love using that part as a loo! :lol:

:lol::lol: I know! I had a litter tray that filled the whole bedroom!

When I had bunnies years ago, one always used to pile the woodshavings (this was about 20 yrs ago before I knew they were a no-no) and hay against the bedroom door then wee all over it. I didn't think to use trays either back then so it would all fall out when I opened the door. :roll::lol:

I use an oil driptray I got from eBay. It's the largest size they do and fills mine's tiny hutch (it's one of their three different areas), meaning cleaning's much easier! They still manage to wee/poo around it though, little :censored: They have a 32L underbed box in the playhouse: if you can fit something of that size in that works really well.

We get newspapers from our parents as we also don't have newspapers to read. I tried just using the recycled paper pellets (I use the 'cat' brand ones now as the 'rabbit etc.' ones were more expensive although identical!) but they stuck to the bottom!

Back