• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Angoras here-having surgery today!!!!!!!

Good morning :) Three bunnies now at vets for their ops...so will be a very nervous few hours ahead till we know all has gone okay.
Pregnant Mum is being cheeky, and begging me for food, she has a ravenous appetite bless her.
I will let you know how bunnies are later :)

Now, stop knawing your nails!

They will be fine.

And remember the Mummy Bunny is eating for I guess 6 or more??
Is she big?
What is the average litter?

To be honest, my Angora has been far less work since she fell pregnant, I haven't had to clip her as she did it herself! The only real problem is checking that nipples are exposed from her plcuking, some don't pluck enough and need to be clipped a bit shorter on their underside. Also is the problem that agora wool webs, this means when it mates or is pushed together, it gets like felt, so the babies push out of the wool if hot and squish it down meaning it turns like a thick felt pad! I kept some wool back from Evee's last clipping to recover them with and make sure they're warm.
Also Evee never really drank before and she's now getting through two bottles a day! And is actually eating veg! It's amasing the way they change their habits to keep their babies safe!
This is her first litter and there were 7! (one died unfortunately) so be prepared for a few! And Evee wasn't even showing!

raven_guest said:
To be honest, my Angora has been far less work since she fell pregnant, I haven't had to clip her as she did it herself! The only real problem is checking that nipples are exposed from her plcuking, some don't pluck enough and need to be clipped a bit shorter on their underside. Also is the problem that agora wool webs, this means when it mates or is pushed together, it gets like felt, so the babies push out of the wool if hot and squish it down meaning it turns like a thick felt pad! I kept some wool back from Evee's last clipping to recover them with and make sure they're warm.
Also Evee never really drank before and she's now getting through two bottles a day! And is actually eating veg! It's amasing the way they change their habits to keep their babies safe!
This is her first litter and there were 7! (one died unfortunately) so be prepared for a few! And Evee wasn't even showing!

Hiya :D Many thanks for your great information , it is much appreciated :D
Is there anything I need to have on standby incase Mum has trouble feeding babies for any reason :?:
Best wishes

Michele said:
Now, stop knawing your nails!

They will be fine.

And remember the Mummy Bunny is eating for I guess 6 or more??
Is she big?
What is the average litter?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nibbling my nails Michele :!: :shock: never :!: :!: :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mummy does seem quite rounded underneath and I can feel movement (lots of it :shock: :lol: ) I have been informed she usually has six babies , so this is around the average size for a litter.
The Doe has not successfully raised a litter the last two times though, so anything could happen :!:

As long as she has plenty of food and enough calcium (may need something adding to the water as Evee doesn't eat her greens, so I added a suppliment) I don't see why it would be a problem, but if she has a rep as a bad mum.......
Some mum's need a couple of litters to have a clue what's going on, some are bad mothers because they don't get everything they need and abandon the litter knowing they can't provide properly for it.
Obv it depends on how well the bun trusts you as far as checking on the litter. I take Evee out if I'm going to check, I put her in a run for a few hours mid way trhough the day so she has a break and I can check the nest properly. She has a very well used dirty corner (no matter how often I clean it out!) so I rub my hands in there before I do anything (sexy! lol)
I'm sure everything will be fine! xxx

hope everything goes ok with the ops, Adele I thought you had raised many litters? Maybe I am wrong tho (as per usual!) :lol:

You learn something new with each litter lol. It depends on the mum as well, some are so laid back! I heard of a bun my friend had who would make a fuss unless she stroked her while she was having contractions! That's a very laid back bun, most go a bit nuts if they know you're there whilest in labour etc.

BirdieBun said:
hope everything goes ok with the ops, Adele I thought you had raised many litters? Maybe I am wrong tho (as per usual!) :lol:

aaawwwww thanks Carys :D :D :D No I have not raised many litters :!: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
20 years ago we hand reared a litter of six babies when Mum died of a lung infection :?
I hand reared Hazel the injured wild bunny we rescued, and also Poppy a wild bunny rescue who was close to death when we found her.
Oooh and Bramble the baby wild bunny found at the side of the road, who died after a few days :(
Raven Quest thanks again for all your help, I will supplement the does drinking water with some vitamins and give her a small amount of fresh greens :)

Awwwwwww welcome to the fluffy family. :D
Hope all their ops go o.k and don`t forget we`ll need loads of pictures! :wink: :D

Good luck with them,
Su.x

raven_guest said:
You'll be flooding the board with fluffy babies photos before you know it! x

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :p :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is one of the perks of my work I guess :p :p :!: :?: :lol: :lol: :lol:

minilops said:
How did the ops go?

Hello, have just spoken to vet as she did ops later than planned, and all has gone well :D :D :D
Doe now spayed and Bucks neutered, had teeth checked, BRC rings removed, and myxomatosis vaccines......so they will be grumpy with me by the time we collect them :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Poor darlings, but at least it is the start of a whole new life for them :D :D
Thank you for your support folk :D
I will give another update when the fluffies are home :D :D

Adele said:
minilops said:
How did the ops go?

Hello, have just spoken to vet as she did ops later than planned, and all has gone well :D :D :D
Doe now spayed and Bucks neutered, had teeth checked, BRC rings removed, and myxomatosis vaccines......so they will be grumpy with me by the time we collect them :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Poor darlings, but at least it is the start of a whole new life for them :D :D
Thank you for your support folk :D
I will give another update when the fluffies are home :D :D

THEY HAVE HAD MYSI vacs after neutering adele :? :shock:

Poor Mummy to be.
Hope this time she is able to trust you and be a brilliant Mum. If anyone can do it you can!

Look at Millie in a day!!

And Mauna and Bobby. Your ickle girl and her sugar Daddy beau!!

Perhaps the breeder just did not care and check her properly.
I am sure you will have her feeding then in no time.

bunnylove said:
THEY HAVE HAD MYSI vacs after neutering adele :? :shock:

They had the vaccine before the ops and a full health check.
The vaccines are essential as we are in a high risk area, and it is peak myxo time. The bunnies have never had any myxo vaccine before so have absolutely no resistance (even slight ) at all.
The vet said it was too risky in her opinion to leave them unvaccinated even for a short time.
The pregnant doe has not been vaccinated, but is in an indoors unit and we have anti flea/ mossie protection in place.
I trust my vet, she is very rabbit savvy and really has their best interests at heart.
There are never idea scenarios in an emergency situation like this Eve.
Best wishes

Bless 'em, that's a bad day they've had, but at least it's all over in one go and they can have only good things to look forward to!

Back