• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Angel has sore paws.

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
Angel has very sore front paws....vets have given me fuciderm to put on them and shes already on baytril for her snuffles .

I know rexes are prone to sore hocks but I didn't realise they could get sore front paws too :cry:

Angel has very sore front paws....vets have given me fuciderm to put on them and shes already on baytril for her snuffles .

I know rexes are prone to sore hocks but I didn't realise they could get sore front paws too :cry:

Yes i'm afraid they can and it can make life very uncomfortable for them. Has your vet examined her feet carefully and felt along the bones and tendons? The baytril for her snuffles will help also as a prophylatic antibiotic for her sore feet to curb any infection there too hopefully. Are the sores infected? If so she may need something more specific for these in terms of a systemic antibiotic...it's very important to prevent any infection reaching the bone.
Did the vet give her some NSAID? A course of metacam at normal dose and then down to a maintenance dose for a week or two is also very important in sore hocks to both reduce skin inflammation and skin thickening (which is what happens during inflammation of the skin layers) and this in turn promotes healing and fur regrowth, and also for pain relieving properties.....sore hocks are blimmin' painful and can make a rabbit feel quite depressed.
A bun I fostered for a few months had dreadful sores on all 4 of his feet....front feet involvement makes life very uncomfortable for them. The NSAID really helped him no end to cope with them, stop chewing them and be able to weight bear.
Of equal importance is her environment...is she a house bun or a hutch bun?
Hutch buns need to be bedded on DEEP hay/straw for cushioning of the feet, for house buns this is easier to achieve with vet beds or thick layers blankets etc....if front feet are sore too then you may need to pad the entire exercise area. Exercise time on soft grass/lawn is very helpful also as it is naturally cushioning. You must also keep all her nails trimmed to maintain the correct foot angle and keep the weight off her heels/pads. It's very important that when at rest she has somewhere deeply padded, however you achieve this, to rest up.
I would personally advise against putting cream on the sores...if you do put cream on you really need to bandage as well. In my 'own' experience only we found that they healed up with NSAID and environment change alone...Creams squash the surrounding fur that acts as a cushion against further friction, they also make the wound soft and more vulnerable to splitting and therefore, open to infection. If you do use a cream then Jane has found both colloidal gel and silver to be of benefit I think. I have used colloidal gel (Savalon advanced gel) on my Dutch bun's heel tip and it does work - but you must weigh up the benefits of cream vs no cream. Good luck :)

Well shes already deep bedded on hay (shes a hutch bunny) as she has a very small spot of bare skin on each of her hind hocks ....she goes out on grass every day and within her run has a big basket of hay to sit in when she wants to.

The only thing Ive wondered is whether the rainy weather ( and hence wet lawn) may have made things worse (the run does have a rain cover ) .

She wasn't prescribed metacam ..... oh and the vet trimmed her claws today.

I am having a similar problem with Biscuit. She has a sore pad on her front left paw. The problem is that she (we think) burnt it either on the patio or in the litter tray (a urine burn). She is now making the paw sore herself because she keeps nibbling it. I wonder if your bunny is doing the same?

I am having a similar problem with Biscuit. She has a sore pad on her front left paw. The problem is that she (we think) burnt it either on the patio or in the litter tray (a urine burn). She is now making the paw sore herself because she keeps nibbling it. I wonder if your bunny is doing the same?

Use of a NSAID like oral metacam can often help with the pain or itchiness that makes them want to chew their sores on their feet. It will also help calm any inflammatory processes.

Back