• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

And now Pixel's not eating - U/D: Spurs on teeth - Another U/D #27

~ILoveMyBunny~

Alpha Buck
Just when I think we've got things sorted... Pixel's gone off his food. He's not stopped entirely, he's been picking at a few things (mostly hay) but he started getting very picky last night. Refused his fresh herbs at first but had the dried ones (had the fresh later on though) and has slowly got more picky since. Still acting quite normal, he's bouncy and curious but not like him to be refusing some of his favourite foods. Booked in with the vet, but appointment is nearly two hours from when we called. Not sure why we're having to wait so long for what should be considered an emergency :? And we just missed our normal vet - she went home just before we called. Perfect.
Oh, and he was having his vaccination today. Obviously now he isn't.
Great.
I really thought we had the problems sorted by reworking the diet. I don't feed veg anymore, anything that could cause gas. They get huge amounts of hay of varying types, a small amount of fresh herbs (and some forage when available), dried forage and two fibre first(ish.. they're always varying lengths so it's a bit imprecise) a day. That's it now. They're indoors. They're not stressed. I can't figure out what's happening!
The only thing is that we clipped his nails last night which did stress him a bit but not a lot - he's actually one of the quiet ones for nail clipping.
This is the seventh time one of the rabbits has been in stasis since November. Each time a different rabbit. Something is obviously wrong, this is not normal. I just wish I could figure out what it was, it's making me feel like I can't care for my rabbits properly!
I just want them to be happy and healthy :(

Edit: Gave him some blackberry leaves about 10 mins ago which he turned down, but he's just had two of them. Still picking at the odd bit of hay so hope we can stop this before it gets too bad. He's a nethie cross so I'm hoping this isn't going to end up being dental :( He doesn't have a snubbed nose though and his teeth have been good up until now so let hope..

Last edited:
Oh no, how stressful for you :( Sending lots of vibes for Pixel's vet appointment and I hope he soon feels better.

Just got back. Pixel has picked up a little in that he was eating more hay before going. Unfortunately it looks like it is dental after all. He has spurs on both sides that need to be done. The vet said it's not ulcerated yet but they're fairly bad. We were getting him in for his neuter in a couple of weeks so I've asked if both can be done at the same time to save him going under twice. He's booked in with my normal vet (I don't trust anyone else!) on Thursday.
Poor thing's stressed out now thanks to some extremely unruly dogs barking loudly in reception but I've picked him some fresh grass which he's now eating.
Only problem is I wanted him up to date on his myxi/rhd1 vaccinations before the castration in case he picks something up at the vet - now he's going to have to have them later. He's already slightly overdue so I'm worried about that now.
At least it doesn't look like it's a diet problem this time so maybe it's unrelated to the others after all?

Just when I think we've got things sorted... Pixel's gone off his food. He's not stopped entirely, he's been picking at a few things (mostly hay) but he started getting very picky last night. Refused his fresh herbs at first but had the dried ones (had the fresh later on though) and has slowly got more picky since. Still acting quite normal, he's bouncy and curious but not like him to be refusing some of his favourite foods. Booked in with the vet, but appointment is nearly two hours from when we called. Not sure why we're having to wait so long for what should be considered an emergency :? And we just missed our normal vet - she went home just before we called. Perfect.
Oh, and he was having his vaccination today. Obviously now he isn't.
Great.
I really thought we had the problems sorted by reworking the diet. I don't feed veg anymore, anything that could cause gas. They get huge amounts of hay of varying types, a small amount of fresh herbs (and some forage when available), dried forage and two fibre first(ish.. they're always varying lengths so it's a bit imprecise) a day. That's it now. They're indoors. They're not stressed. I can't figure out what's happening!
The only thing is that we clipped his nails last night which did stress him a bit but not a lot - he's actually one of the quiet ones for nail clipping.
This is the seventh time one of the rabbits has been in stasis since November. Each time a different rabbit. Something is obviously wrong, this is not normal. I just wish I could figure out what it was, it's making me feel like I can't care for my rabbits properly!
I just want them to be happy and healthy :(

Edit: Gave him some blackberry leaves about 10 mins ago which he turned down, but he's just had two of them. Still picking at the odd bit of hay so hope we can stop this before it gets too bad. He's a nethie cross so I'm hoping this isn't going to end up being dental :( He doesn't have a snubbed nose though and his teeth have been good up until now so let hope..

So sorry to hear this :(

Just got back. Pixel has picked up a little in that he was eating more hay before going. Unfortunately it looks like it is dental after all. He has spurs on both sides that need to be done. The vet said it's not ulcerated yet but they're fairly bad. We were getting him in for his neuter in a couple of weeks so I've asked if both can be done at the same time to save him going under twice. He's booked in with my normal vet (I don't trust anyone else!) on Thursday.
Poor thing's stressed out now thanks to some extremely unruly dogs barking loudly in reception but I've picked him some fresh grass which he's now eating.
Only problem is I wanted him up to date on his myxi/rhd1 vaccinations before the castration in case he picks something up at the vet - now he's going to have to have them later. He's already slightly overdue so I'm worried about that now.
At least it doesn't look like it's a diet problem this time so maybe it's unrelated to the others after all?

It sounds to be. Re the vaccination, protection does not stop bang on 12 months after it is given. A Rabbit who has had regular vaccinations is likely to retain some immunity beyond the 12 month period.

Has the Vet prescribed some Metacam to keep Pixel comfortable and eating until he has his Dental on Thursday ?

Just seen your update.

The myxo vaccine is tested to 13 months, so he should be covered. Also, just because the immunity isn't tested beyond 13 months, it doesn't mean it isn't still working.

It really does sound like it's the teeth causing the issue. Pesky rabbit teeth!

Has he had RHD2 vaccination?

It sounds to be. Re the vaccination, protection does not stop bang on 12 months after it is given. A Rabbit who has had regular vaccinations is likely to retain some immunity beyond the 12 month period.

Has the Vet prescribed some Metacam to keep Pixel comfortable and eating until he has his Dental on Thursday ?
That's good to know! Hopefully he'll still have some protection then. Just would have prefered to have it up to date beforehand!
No, no medication at all which did surprise me to be honest. The vet was nice but in terms of rabbit experience, I don't know. I think he's a locum, I've never seen him before. To be honest I just wanted to get Pixel out today with those dogs. The owners made no attempt whatsoever to get them to stop barking despite knowing there were other sick animals around :censored:

Has he had RHD2 vaccination?
No, he's not had it at all yet :( Had some problems getting him in for it until now. Since the myxi/rhd1 just ran out the plan was to update myxi/rhd1 first as he's indoors and I saw the myxi as the higher risk, then take him back for rhd2, then neuter. I've actually been putting off the neuter :oops: He's just so tiny... But he won't bond as he's too... Eh... Overbearing? That might be a good word... So came to the conclusion that we'll have to get it done. He adores Snowflake (also single) but she's a little scared of him at the moment :roll: Their pens have been next to each other for a while and I think after the neuter they've got a good chance.

It really does sound like it's the teeth causing the issue. Pesky rabbit teeth!
Well we've got three lops and a nethie cross so I was expecting teeth at some point. But they've all had good teeth up until now and none have overly snubbed noses so I was hoping we might get away with it :roll:
Just hope it's not going to be a repeat thing as I'm terrified of them going under anaesthetic.

I'm worried about him going on until Thursday now. He's eating bits but not a lot. Maybe I should have insisted on a gut stimulant and painkiller. I backed down as the vet thought he would be okay but wish I hadn't now. I don't really want to take him up the emergency vet but will have to see how he goes through the evening/night.
He's not showing any signs of pain, still quite active, droppings were a bit small this morning but have returned to normal size now. But he's reluctant to eat anything except hay/grass, and he's picking at that. He did finish the blackberry leaves in the end though. Still drinking well too.
I do wonder if I should mix up a little critical care for him. If the teeth are hurting him maybe he'd be more inclined to 'eat' a liquid? I've still got some left from Snowflake's stasis episode. I do have some emeprid too but I don't like to give that without a vets go ahead.

Last edited:
That's good to know! Hopefully he'll still have some protection then. Just would have prefered to have it up to date beforehand!
No, no medication at all which did surprise me to be honest. The vet was nice but in terms of rabbit experience, I don't know. I think he's a locum, I've never seen him before. To be honest I just wanted to get Pixel out today with those dogs. The owners made no attempt whatsoever to get them to stop barking despite knowing there were other sick animals around :censored:

No, he's not had it at all yet :( Had some problems getting him in for it until now. Since the myxi/rhd1 just ran out the plan was to update myxi/rhd1 first as he's indoors and I saw the myxi as the higher risk, then take him back for rhd2, then neuter. I've actually been putting off the neuter :oops: He's just so tiny... But he won't bond as he's too... Eh... Overbearing? That might be a good word... So came to the conclusion that we'll have to get it done. He adores Snowflake (also single) but she's a little scared of him at the moment :roll: Their pens have been next to each other for a while and I think after the neuter they've got a good chance.

Well we've got three lops and a nethie cross so I was expecting teeth at some point. But they've all had good teeth up until now and none have overly snubbed noses so I was hoping we might get away with it :roll:
Just hope it's not going to be a repeat thing as I'm terrified of them going under anaesthetic.

I'm worried about him going on until Thursday now. He's eating bits but not a lot. Maybe I should have insisted on a gut stimulant and painkiller. I backed down as the vet thought he would be okay but wish I hadn't now. I don't really want to take him up the emergency vet but will have to see how he goes through the evening/night.
He's not showing any signs of pain, still quite active, droppings were a bit small this morning but have returned to normal size now. But he's reluctant to eat anything except hay/grass, and he's picking at that. He did finish the blackberry leaves in the end though. Still drinking well too.
I do wonder if I should mix up a little critical care for him. If the teeth are hurting him maybe he'd be more inclined to 'eat' a liquid? I've still got some left from Snowflake's stasis episode. I do have some emeprid too but I don't like to give that without a vets go ahead.

Perhaps you could give the Vet a call this morning and ask if you could have a dose of Metacam to give Pixel today and also ask if you should give a couple of doses of Emeprid too. If Pixel is hardly eating at all I would syringe feed him as he will need food in his tummy aswell as medication. Topping up the vibes for him xx

Thank you Jane :D
Yes, we were thinking of doing that when they open.
He seems to have picked up a little bit eating wise which is good news. He's actually eating a good amount of hay. In fact most of the times I've gone to check on him he's been eating hay. He did have his fresh herbs last night but slowly. Seemed to pick out the mint first then the rest. Took him a while to get through it but he did.
I also mixed up a small amount of critical care but got met with a stern shake of the head and look of disgust, followed by having a back turned on me :roll:
I'm getting quite nervous about the GA. I know all the others have been through it for their spays/neuters etc but it's not making it much easier. I'm sure he'll be fine. Just doing my usual panic :oops::lol:
He's also been very active, running around and playing like normal - he even had a good fight with the broom earlier for being in his way :lol:
I'll see how much food he's actually eating today and if it looks like he needs 'topping up' as it were I'll have to get out the dreaded syringe. But I'm quite impressed with how much hay he's been eating since yesterday. So will see how he goes.

Sending more vibes for Pixel. I hope you are able to arrange for some continuation meds for him to take him up to Thursday. It's good that he's eating hay.

I would call the vet back. It takes some practice, but it's good to voice your concerns strongly with vets, as they only see a small snapshot of the situation. You know the truth of it, and what your gut instinct says.

Topping up the vibes for today x

He's due in at 8.50 today so just getting everything ready. He's been doing very well considering, eating a lot - mostly hay. He won't touch Fibafirst but he did have his fresh herbs last night and finished them all surprisingly quickly. He's been very bright and cheeky. You wouldn't know anything was wrong to be honest. He's being particularly mischievous and bouncy which can only be a good thing.
Thank you for asking :D
I'll update again once I know he's okay. They usually get you to call around 2pm so should know more somewhere around there.

He's due in at 8.50 today so just getting everything ready. He's been doing very well considering, eating a lot - mostly hay. He won't touch Fibafirst but he did have his fresh herbs last night and finished them all surprisingly quickly. He's been very bright and cheeky. You wouldn't know anything was wrong to be honest. He's being particularly mischievous and bouncy which can only be a good thing.
I'll update again once I know he's okay. They usually get you to call around 2pm so should know more somewhere around there.

I hope it goes well. I would feel happier too that he's been "mischievous and bouncy".

Best vibes for Pixel :love:

Lots of vibes being sent :love:

Thank you all :)
He should either be in surgery now or, hopefully, just coming around. Vet asked me to call at 12.30 which is earlier than usual. She said she's going to try to do him first as long as an emergency doesn't come in (obviously). I feel really cruel - not only is he having his teeth sorted but he's also going to wake up without... Some things... Seems a lot to put him through in one go but I think it's better than him going under twice. I just hope he's not going to keep needing his teeth done, though I have a bad feeling he might. I hate them being put under for anything.
Should at least know that he's okay by 12.30 so will update then and then later when he gets home. Thank you again for your kind thoughts :)

Just phoned - he's recovering well :D The line was bad but I think they said he's been eating already, which surprised me as he won't touch food when he's nervous so glad he's feeling happy enough to eat. I thought they might have trouble getting him to eat!
We're picking him up at 15:00 :D

Just phoned - he's recovering well :D The line was bad but I think they said he's been eating already, which surprised me as he won't touch food when he's nervous so glad he's feeling happy enough to eat. I thought they might have trouble getting him to eat!
We're picking him up at 15:00 :D

Glad to hear that all went well :D

Back