• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

An inflamed stomach?

prince-windie

Young Bun
I've had some bad news about my poor bunster! :( There's a bit of a story though!

I brought Biscuit home to Liverpool from Portsmouth about a month ago now (and for those who gave advice on travelling; we took a taxi in the end! And he loved the whole journey! Very inquisitive about his surroundings and peaking out his carrier all the time! :lol:) but once I had him home, I had to return to Portsmouth in order to move out of my flat. So for the past month, he's been under the care of my family. Before I left I made a giant "What not to do" essay, and left them my rabbit care books.

However, finally finishing my move after a month, I came home to Liverpool last night at the late hour of 11pm. So I rush up to see the little guy to have my sister say "Oh, I just noticed this evening; his stomach is all... big and stuff." :shock: My first thought was "GI STASIS?" and I looked him over and surely enough, his stomach was bulging and hard like a balloon :evil: Very cross with my family. But the thing is, he was perfectly eating fine, using his toilet and flopping out being very relaxed.

Still, I got him to the vet the next day. His stomach had swelled down somewhat since last night but it was still evidently there. When I got him to the vet, she said it wasn't bloat or GI Stasis (since he was eating) but instead he'd produced and inflamed stomach! She gave him a shot of metoclopramide (and a free pedicure! :lol: ) and told me to watch over him and bring him back tomorrow. I've got him home now and he's still fine, eating/pooing/binkying about but still a slightly swollen stomach!

Just wanting to know, what would cause this inflamed stomach? Apparently over the past few days he'd been eating sweatheart lettuce (which I wasn't too sure about when my sister told me :? after I gave them a list of his favourite greens) and his regular hay/SS pellets. I'm maybe thinking its because they've been feeding him too much? I have a feeling that the case has often been my sister has come home, fed him and gone out, followed by my brother coming home, thinking Biscuit has not been fed and so feeding him again; so a bad lack of communication among my family there!

Also, what would be the best care for him now? I'm keeping him on just hay/pellets for now and added probiotics to his water also. Any more tips? :) A bunny massage maybe?

I'm really angry at them for this. :censored: It's not just because of what they've unknowingly done, but the fact that all night I had "He's fine. You don't wanna waste money taking him to the vet!". Plus, while I've been gone, they've (for some unknown reason) removed his pen attatchment from his dog crate, leaving him alone in the crate with zero toys or hiding places!! I'm glad to say that his set up is back to normal again and he's quite happy with some new toys also!! It's hard to word this but they've been treating him like a 'rabbit' as in, general down at the bottom of the garden type, only seen to at feeding time. We used to have a rabbit in that situation when I was younger, but now I'm more tuned in and wised up, but I'm afraid they aren't! Next time, I will leave him in the care of someone more responsable! :evil:

Sorry for the long winded post that has also turned into a rant! :lol: But any help would be appreciated! :wave:

:wave: hi sorry this has happended..i know where yoiur coming from..my mum said that when i was losing my cat..as well as two buns:censored:

if its any consolation my bif bless her heart suffers inflamamtion of her gi system..sometimes with stasis sometimes without.....shes been misdiagnosed iwth cancer as the inflamation was so bad inside butok on xrays few days previous.
second opinion said only slightly inflamamed..sent me to animed where his wife was and she said it was going down..she said her nervous condition..health history...deteriortaion since losing her husbun has left her with a type of bunny post traumatic stress disorder!

even with bertie she was very ill..and it wasnt until she was unbonded from the group pf 4 and living in a cage overnite etc and running around by us that we realised it was also her living conditions stresing her out:shock:

bandit doesnt respond well to open spaces either so now theyre rebonded as a couple living indoors in our lounge like always..but in a thistle hall hutch with access to their and our end of the lounge with the 2 frenchies at the other end.....and they are soooo happy both being binkying:lol:

but whenver she gets stressed badly or something really upsets her her gut fares up..shes got sticky poo everyday cos of it vet said she will always have probs.....so have to be very careful with her diet.

i think you may find its dietery and emotional too with your bun..sometimes they look chilled etc and really theyre upset or scared witless but tryin g to hide it:(

soundslike your bun will be safe again with you. are you livingin portsmouth with your bun now? cos ttheanimed practice is very good with buns..ask cr bevis on here:wave:

Even with bertie she was very ill..and it wasnt until she was unbonded from the group pf 4 and living in a cage overnite etc and running around by us that we realised it was also her living conditions stresing her out:shock:

Oh! I'm sorry to hear that about Bif! Perhaps it was the living conditions that affected Biscuit also since a lot of his 'familiar' things had been removed from his cage, and apparently, he hasn't even been out in the garden since I left! :cry: Will be sorting that out once he's better again! Emotionally, I'd love to think that maybe he was also love sick for me, but I hardly think that's the case! :lol: I am just a human afterall!

soundslike your bun will be safe again with you. are you livingin portsmouth with your bun now? cos ttheanimed practice is very good with buns..ask cr bevis on here:wave:

I'm back in Liverpool now till September when I'll then be moving back to Portsmouth into my new (pet friendly!) house. I'm registered with Grove Veterinary Surgery on Elm Grove back in Pompey, (although I'm not too happy about them?) where I got his injections done! I had to take him round to a local vet here in Liverpool this morning though in emergency since it was the nearest to me. He's to be neutered this month though, so will be looking for somewhere rabbit-savvy here in Liverpool instead! :)

Last edited:
:wave: yup poor Bif but its hard to see ehr like that when shes atatcking this massive frenchie doe i have called willow through the pen bars and getting very smug:lol: or oddly enough tonite snifing and sititng on my feet andlegs and looking at me..go on dare you..touch me..that sort of look:lol:

id say poor Biscuit has suffered a version of it to get an inflammed gut like that:shock:
like humnas can develop ulcers from stress...same deal really. to have all the belongings removed from the cage and then access denied to the garden:shock: no wonder hes got inflammed guts.

and yes your only human but you are the human that belongs to biscuit so yes pining in a way for you........contributed to it.

good luck for the move...ive done it one too many times..i see a re,moval van and pass out:lol::lol:

um yes move across to the portsmout branch of animed..they have one of the senior guys there who just happens to be a bunny savvy vet. his name i think is rob peal. cr bevis sees him ask her which one it is in portsmouth:wave:

worth it for bunvet and the hopsital is in shedfield so hope you can drive or have a friend with a car for emergency visit if needed. ive only had to do the trip once and that was with bandit who had suspected broken foot..turned out hed sprained his littel toe and the one next to it:roll: cost me almost £18 each way in a taxi but so worth it. unless someone else here can recommend a good bunvet..ask gem too.

love and love and more love and lots of attention is what will help biscuit now. and youre there to give it to him:love:

if it is a inflamed stomach, then it is bloat. Feel the left side, is it hard and enlarged? If it is hard, then it is definitely bloat.

I lost 1 of my bun to bloat this year. He chewed on the furniture and it blocks his intestine. Bloat due to phsyical blockage is hard to deal with, even surgery may fail

if it is bloat caused by diet, then just cisopride and the metocloprimide along w/ infacol and stomach massage will do it.

let us know

Back from the vet follow up! Over night he ate and drank fine, passed some poops too. He took his time with his breakfast however, but was very enthusiastic to get at it and ate all of it eventually! Then nibbled some hay and gave me a nice pile of poops for me! :love:

It was a different vet this time, although she was definately more enthusiastic about rabbits! She felt him over and said there was still a bit of gas trapped in there so gave him another shot and asked a few questions about what he had been eating; she was quite pleased to find he was on SS pellets and probiotics and gave me kudos for being a good rabbit owner :D She advised me to give him some pineapple juice/chunks and just to get him out in the garden for a good run and a nibble!

So right now he's outside in his pen with some pineapple juice, munching away!

um yes move across to the portsmout branch of animed..they have one of the senior guys there who just happens to be a bunny savvy vet. his name i think is rob peal. cr bevis sees him ask her which one it is in portsmouth:wave:

worth it for bunvet and the hopsital is in shedfield so hope you can drive or have a friend with a car for emergency visit if needed. ive only had to do the trip once and that was with bandit who had suspected broken foot..turned out hed sprained his littel toe and the one next to it:roll: cost me almost £18 each way in a taxi but so worth it. unless someone else here can recommend a good bunvet..ask gem too.

I think I will! I only signed up with Grove as it was the nearest to me at the time I was living at Gunwharf. I don't have a car/can't drive so it was difficult to move further out. But I'll be living more central Portsmouth in September I think, and now I know he can cope with taxi rides, I'll probably be taking that option! :) Thanks for the advice!

Happy Hopping said:
if it is a inflamed stomach, then it is bloat. Feel the left side, is it hard and enlarged? If it is hard, then it is definitely bloat.

I thought for it to be bloat though, it would mean he wouldn't be eating and passing poops? As he's definately eating and pooping and drinking lots of water! His stomach feels like a tennis ball now, as apposed to a small balloon so it is going slowly down! She gave him another shot of metocloprimide and said he should be cleared up by tomorrow! Will update you on him tomorrow too! =) Thanks for the help!

Back