• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Amber likely uti

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
On tuesday during her grooming Amber had a wet rear and we could not tell if pee or water.
Spouse sad pee outside litterbox late tonight so Amber may have another uti.
Vet not in some fridays, so may not get any advice. In past she had baytril so I may need to use my emergency meds. I do not know how I can medicate her if I cannot pick her up after my surgery. Nephew not available and spouse cannot pick her up to hand her to me.
Send vibes.

Oh no, you don't need for Amber to need medicating. Poor girly :(

If you can get some advice as to what to give her, could your spouse try hiding the medication in some tasty food. I know with something like Baytril that will be difficult. Sending her lots of vibes.

Thank you for the vibes..Only baytril I have are pills that I need to quarter and dissolve in water. It will not taste good. Spouse got home from work now, so hope to get a dose in her if he can pick her up and put her on my lap.

It was a tricky transfer, yet first dose of baytril is done.:D
As a bonus I got to hold her and groom her. She did not like taste yet was a very good girl

Was she dry around her bum ?

My Vet always prescribes an abx course of at least 10 days for UTIs. Hopefully you have enough supplies to do that. Shorter courses usually don’t fully clear the infection as the core of it is usually deep within the bladder wall. So 5-7 day courses might mean obvious symptoms resolve, but some residual bacteria remains.

Was she dry around her bum ?

My Vet always prescribes an abx course of at least 10 days for UTIs. Hopefully you have enough supplies to do that. Shorter courses usually don’t fully clear the infection as the core of it is usually deep within the bladder wall. So 5-7 day courses might mean obvious symptoms resolve, but some residual bacteria remains.

Thank you Jane. Yes her bum was wet. Spouse picked up some emergency baytril pills when he collected Raven after his dental, so have enough for at least 10 days.
I got her dose from last time, yet wonder if it was low. She gets 17mg each day and weight about 1.8 kg. Your thoughts?

After she got her fifth daily dose of abx, Amber got groomed today. Her tail was dry with just a few small dribbles on her bum, so abx must be working. She was a very good girl with her grooming.

Back