• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

am i the only

honeybunny said:
Eve are you trying to make your point very strongly..posting it 4 times! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tracy neuters all her rabbits ..so does Jane in Warwick and I think Louise at Hopper Haven does.......

forum is playing up for me soory! jane doesn :? t, a friend of mine came back from holiday with two bunnies :shock: :shock: yes she is as mad as me and she got them from jane uneutered :? so thats five then??

I let mine go at 8 weeks, but with the agreement that they neuter as soon as old enough. I follow up with this and have never had any probs, many of the adopters bring the rabbits back to the rescue and I arrange the neutering :D

hunnybun said:
I let mine go at 8 weeks, but with the agreement that they neuter as soon as old enough. I follow up with this and have never had any probs, many of the adopters bring the rabbits back to the rescue and I arrange the neutering :D

but ike i said if they didnt there is nothing you could do ablout it unless you want to get involved in legal cases which i doubt very mush you do, so in light of this you could be potentially be causing more problems with the "accidential and just one" litter bragade. :roll:

I must admit...and I'm really not out to criticise..more advice ...I wouldn't let any rabbits go without neutering now....even if they bring them back for you to arrange the op..you will never know if in the meantime they have been out with a friend's bun ....
..I'm with Eve on this one..every rabbit that leaves a rescue should be neutered first...
..and another point...I let Iris go to Phil unneutered due to her age..6 ish..but then the poor bun..and poor Phil..had a dreadful time due to an infected uterus..luckily Iris recovered thanks to Phil's care and attention...but it made me change my mind on older buns and I now neuter these also!

honeybunny said:
I must admit...and I'm really not out to criticise..more advice ...I wouldn't let any rabbits go without neutering now....even if they bring them back for you to arrange the op..you will never know if in the meantime they have been out with a friend's bun ....
..I'm with Eve on this one..every rabbit that leaves a rescue should be neutered first...
..and another point...I let Iris go to Phil unneutered due to her age..6 ish..but then the poor bun..and poor Phil..had a dreadful time due to an infected uterus..luckily Iris recovered thanks to Phil's care and attention...but it made me change my mind on older buns and I now neuter these also!

What about a person that isn't a Rescue but happens to have baby buns that aren't hers in her back garden? :oops: :lol:

Angie65 said:
honeybunny said:

What about a person that isn't a Rescue but happens to have baby buns that aren't hers in her back garden? :oops: :lol:

she should know better! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though i think you just have to be careful abput where they end up and if possible get them to a rescue that neuters...and has space! :D

On the other hand, you've got no guarentees of anything when you adopt out. If you're worried the person won't neuter as agreed then what certainy have you got they'd bother with vet trips for other things?

I think it's important to look at the individual, if they've got 10 pet bunnies and they've neutered them all it would be fairly safe to adopt a bun with an agreement to neuter.

If they're a first time bunny owner then adopting out a boy/girl pair that had to be neutered by three months to prevent pregnancy would be a dodgier bet.

Tam

Tamsin said:
On the other hand, you've got no guarentees of anything when you adopt out. If you're worried the person won't neuter as agreed then what certainy have you got they'd bother with vet trips for other things?

I think it's important to look at the individual, if they've got 10 pet bunnies and they've neutered them all it would be fairly safe to adopt a bun with an agreement to neuter.

If they're a first time bunny owner then adopting out a boy/girl pair that had to be neutered by three months to prevent pregnancy would be a dodgier bet.

Tam

normally i would say you were right tam about experenced caring homes, but since BIGWIG and a few others i had some really scrupulious characters whos had established rabbitorys :lol: :lol: after him saying they would neuter (but i had my doubts) because of the volume of calls and emails i got about him and i think they would have breed him just once if they got the chance!

I'm afraid I'm very cynical now..especially as even a "rescue" who posts the buns on RR ...openly admitted they had bred from the "rescue" buns they'd had in when I visited them :shock: Evidently "the babies sold really quickly!" :evil:

honeybunny said:
I'm afraid I'm very cynical now..especially as even a "rescue" who posts the buns on RR ...openly admitted they had bred from the "rescue" buns they'd had in when I visited them :shock: Evidently "the babies sold really quickly!" :evil:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :cry: :cry: you dont breed from a "rescue" animal :shock: :twisted: ,. you dont know where/what they have come from :shock: , their genetic line could be very bad you would be passing on a potiential problem :cry: :cry: :cry:

i would rather pay out £50 per rabbit and know they neuter all of them than pay less and not. poor bunnies have been through enough. one search for lops on RR gave me 1000's or bunnies needing homes. how can you breed when theres that many and shelters are full????? the only way to be sure is to neuter. i have so little trust in people i dont know. im surprised the rescues dont make you sign a legally binding contract for breeding/ selling on etc.

bunnylove said:
hunnybun said:

but ike i said if they didnt there is nothing you could do ablout it unless you want to get involved in legal cases which i doubt very mush you do, so in light of this you could be potentially be causing more problems with the "accidential and just one" litter bragade. :roll:

I am very very responsible and if i thought for one second they would not neuter as requested then I would keep the baby rabbit until they were old enough and have it done myself, all adult rabbit are neutered before they leave the rescue. I would never compromise the health of the rabbit and always make sure they are neutered at the right time. I don't run a rescue so someone else can take a rabbit from here and breed from it! I feel very strongly about it and the homes the rabbits got to are perfect, I get calls daily from people who have adopted rabbits from my rescue, to ask advice or just update me on the progress. And they all know that if things don't work out they only have to bring them back to me.
And if they didn't do then I would go and take the rabbit back, and I would be within my right to do do, as per the agreement they sign when adopting a rabbit. I am quite offended at your implications. I make a small but significant effect on the care of rabbits in my area, and I work hard doing so.

Tamsin said:

Tam

totally agree and I follow that route :D

Hunnybun..as I said in my post I wasn't trying to offend..just offering my view...the trouble is you cannot guarantee the new owners will neuter ...and also accidents do happen...look at the people on here who are experienced bunny owners but have had a litter arrive through a quick mistake or slip-up..
..I'd rather be sure...but I know you do a great job with your rescue and we are all allowed our own opinions.

A lot of the time it is cheaper to buy from a BRC breeder, why would anyone pay more for a bun from a rescue to then breed from it, it doesn't make sense to me. I have been searching through free ads buns to put on my list and you can but a ringed bun for under £20.

Have to jump in here as I have only just read this thread, Jane has ALL her bunnies neutered and the babies aren't rehomed unitl they are old enough to be neutered, have pm'd you Eve

Back