• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Almost owner of two rescued buns - unneutered males

DeeAisha

Young Bun
Hi

I'm helping my sister out by adopting her two rabbits and giving them space to kick their heels a bit. I don't know why, but I assumed they were females. They're dwarf lops - they look girly. :roll: Anyway, turns out it's a pair of unneutered males.

They're littermates and have lived together in a very confined space for 7 years. My sis says they show no aggression towards one another - one does mount the other, but no teeth/claw action.

My question - do I need to get them neutered, or can I assume they're bonded? Is their behaviour likely to change - would the change of hutch trigger it? They'll be moving from a cramped 4ft hutch to a chicken coop with a run that they'll have free access to.

I'm a bit worried now that I'll be all excited about bringing them home at the weekend and they'll tear each other to bits.

I don't really know masses about rabbits so will dive in and check out the other threads now, but this is my most pressing question.

Thanks

Dee

I'm sorry I don't really have any advice myself - am pretty much a 'newbie' myself although if it was me I would get them both neutered.

I wanted to say hello though as I work in Chesterfield! :wave:

Nice to see someone local. It sounds as though these bunnies will have a much nicer life with you anyway xx

I think 7 years would be past teenage years and neutering as far as i know isn't recommended after 5 years due to possible complications arising with ages, as far as i'm aware, but check with others on the forum, because i was unsure on the neutering topic myself. I'm just relaying information i've researched myself.

Last edited:
:wave: I'm no expert but I was misinformed about the neuter status of one of my bunnies and put it this way the results weren't pretty ... Archie partially castrated and bit half of Leos penis off in a freak accident. It was something I was definatly not expecting and has put me and my little man through the mill.

Please please please get them neutered. It's better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. Although I don't know if their age would stop this?

You're probably best until someone with a lot more knowledge than myself comes along, there's loads of them on here! :)

Thanks for the fast replies! I suppose all I can do is wait and see what happens. I don't want them to have a GA unnecessarily, especially as they're older and I'm not sure what kind of health they're in. I'm going to take them to the vet next week for a bit of an MOT and I'll see what they say.

Hanlou - v small world! :wave:

D x

Thanks for the fast replies! I suppose all I can do is wait and see what happens. I don't want them to have a GA unnecessarily, especially as they're older and I'm not sure what kind of health they're in. I'm going to take them to the vet next week for a bit of an MOT and I'll see what they say.

Hanlou - v small world! :wave:

D x

Vet-check sounds like a good start. :D xx

We use Chapel House - they seem very knowledgable and are very reasonable price-wise too.

Vet-check sounds like a good start. :D xx

We use Chapel House - they seem very knowledgable and are very reasonable price-wise too.

We use Chapel House too - we already have a rescue dog, who has had such chronic health problems that they charge us at rabbit rate for her rather than dog rate because they know we rescued her and didn't expect *quite* so many bills. I love them.

Tbh, I would still neuter. Moving home may trigger authority issues between them & one may castrate the other even if they've never shown anything more than humping before. It would rule out testicular cancer too, & if you lose one bun - at the the other would already be in a position to accept a partner in the future.

Tbh, I would still neuter. Moving home may trigger authority issues between them & one may castrate the other even if they've never shown anything more than humping before. It would rule out testicular cancer too, & if you lose one bun - at the the other would already be in a position to accept a partner in the future.

Thanks - I've made an appointment at the vets for next Wednesday to have their vaccinations and a check over so will talk about it then.

Dee

Sounds good- yes i suppose it is better to get them neutered, but if it's a case of them not being rescued. I would rescue them first, then neuter them later. You don't have any other bunnys around that would intigate a territorial fight do you? If they are coming in there own hutch that would be fine, but a new hutch, could well cause problems and again, i would never seperate them not for a minute as they would definately need neutering then, as it could be dangerous to put them back together after even a few hours.

I would always advocate neutering as fighting/agression between unneutered buns can begin without warning.

Any op with GA has it's risks and could be more risky in an older bunny but I'd still opt for this route. I have just rehomed to a lady who had a 9 year old boy (she took him in and got hime done) and she took a 6 1/2 old girl who was also done before she went to live there.

In the hands of a really good bunny vet, your buns will be as safe as they can be and will certainly benefit from having the snip.

Helen

Ambience - having to neuter them wouldn't stop me rescuing them, but I won't be able to afford it straight away. So far I've spent £200 I wasn't expecting this month, rescuing bunnies not being on my agenda until last Sunday, with a £60 bill in the pipeline for vaccinations. Might have to wait a month or two! Have just caught up on youthnovels horrific castration incident and if it comes to economics, it has to be cheaper to neuter than fix the damage caused by a fight.

I am worried about their age though and general health. They're quite overweight - their diet has been 90% muesli flake feed and 10% hay, so totally topsy turvy. Can't be a good place to go into a GA. Will talk to the vets properly next week and find out who their bunny expert is. They successfully did a lifesaving op on my dog a couple of years ago - I know they're a good strong practice. The one thing swaying me to do it even if they continue to get on like a house on fire is, if one does die before the other :(, it would be easier and safer to get the survivor a bunny bud.

I didn't realise that separating them even for a second could harm their bond. So if one was ill and needed quarantining, that'd be it for their relationship? I seriously have a LOT to learn about rabbits. Could anyone recommend a good book/website - I'm up to speed with health, diet and accommodation but psychology and behaviour? Way off the page.

D x

Sometimes buns that are split to go to the vets do come home and go back together fine, but it is a risky business. I don't generally split mine at all.

I'd agree with you that your new buns do sound like the vet wouldn't proceed with GA until you have them on a better diet and that they had lost some weight. Any op, where there is extra layers of fat makes it harder to perform as the fat can hide organs etc. So maybe have them a while, see how they are together and go from there. If you diet them gently (dieting too quickly can cause fatty liver issues - dangerous), then you should see a marked change in a few weeks to month. Hay, hay and more hay is the way to go to get their guts moving - this too an issue for GA, particulary in a sedentary bun.

If you'd like some info about pairings (includes a bit on behaviour) in case you do end up down this route, then feel free to PM me and I'll e-mail a copy of a leaflet I have.

Helen

I have split mine to go to the vets and because the scent of the other bun is all over him, they go back fine together, but as a rule of thumb, more than two hours apart and they would fight for dominance and territory again. I learnt this initially as a fact from the RSPCA. I also have witnessed my bonded bunnies become unbonded in a very short space of time. One female will try kill the other if she gets near the other and they used to live fine together.

Neutering doesn't keep the bond, just makes the bunny more amicable. Even neutered bunnies should be kept together at all times to hold that bond where possible. I wouldn't dream of splitting my girls up as they are a dominant bunch and would fight if seperated, but my males are very submissive. They are now neutered, but they both co-existed very peacefully before.

If you can't afford it, i would just do it when you can get round to it. I would take them in to get them done together as they could lose there bond being seperated. Also my two really cared for each other after the op, it's not a nice thing to have done, but they support each other better together when they are struggling. They are one of the most empathetic animals when it comes to those they love.

Last edited:
Back