• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding two females (they use to be friends)

Hello, almost 5 weeks post spraying now,both girls are back to there old selfs, minus milos constant chin rubbing (which I kinda miss lol) and she isnt peeing or pooping anywhere but in her box, which is fantastic! Nosey isnt circling my legs constantly anymore which is amazing! currently they each have either side of the downstairs with a gate separating the rooms (as it's open plan).so they can currently see/hear and smell each other. They will be near each other at the bars without seeming to bothered by each other.

I did attempt one mini bonding session yesterday, I did a small netural space with lots of hay in the middle. It kinda started well, they wasn't interested in each other for the first minute, then nosey tryied to mount milo and it went bad from there, I separated them both again.

I'm thinking to maybe rearrange the rooms the best I can, so that there cages are actually side by side(with a gap inbetween or extra gates so they cant actually get to each other) before my next bonding attempt. Will it be okay to do this and let them share free roam space? So Let them take it in turns been out free roam again.

Honestly I'm fed up and struggling climbing over gates all the time. I have researched a lot but im still really unsure on the bonding process, and if it will annoy/upset them taking it in turns sharing the free roam space again.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Bonding two Does is certainly the most challenging combination and the bond may always be fragile. Personally I would give it 3 more weeks before attempting to get them together again. Post spay hormone surges can persist for up to 8 weeks after surgery.

Sometimes it can help to have them living side by side for a few weeks before putting them together, but sometimes this can just wind them both up. You would need to try it and see if they show aggression to each other through cage bars.

When you do attempt to put them together again then it needs to be in a small neutral area. Only separate them if lots of ‘tail up circling’ starts or a full on fight. Humping, chasing and fur pulling is normal, they need to establish who is top Rabbit.

I do not agree with stress bonding- ie putting the Rabbits in a situation that is scary to them such as a car trip in a pet carrier. But some people do such things.

A bit more info’ here

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/ownership/bonding-rabbits/

Bonding two Does is certainly the most challenging combination and the bond may always be fragile. Personally I would give it 3 more weeks before attempting to get them together again. Post spay hormone surges can persist for up to 8 weeks after surgery.

Sometimes it can help to have them living side by side for a few weeks before putting them together, but sometimes this can just wind them both up. You would need to try it and see if they show aggression to each other through cage bars.

When you do attempt to put them together again then it needs to be in a small neutral area. Only separate them if lots of ‘tail up circling’ starts or a full on fight. Humping, chasing and fur pulling is normal, they need to establish who is top Rabbit.

I do not agree with stress bonding- ie putting the Rabbits in a situation that is scary to them such as a car trip in a pet carrier. But some people do such things.

A bit more info’ here

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/ownership/bonding-rabbits/
Thank you for your reply, I'll check the link out now. Yes I think I probably will wait a few more weeks before trying again, really do hope they can become friends again x

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Back