• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First date for Pearl and Laszlo

Hi. I've had my rabbits for a few months now. Buck was neutered end of July, Doe mid August. They've been living above and below each other in a double hutch and going out in runs next to each other. I finished rabbit proofing the whole section of the garden the hutch and runs are in, so we can start to introduce them more. Today we put them both out in the garden together. First time either of them had been in the bigger space so it was neutral territory. They mostly ignored each other. Doe sniffed buck for quite a while and then they circled each other and he tried to mount her. I stepped in and separated them before it escalated. I left them out for a little bit longer but the buck was definatley interested in her from that point onwards. They ignored each other for a few minutes but then went to mount her again I picked him up and popped him in his run. She was out for a bit longer in the main garden.
Did I manage the first encounter OK? Please let me know if I should have kept separated after the first mounting attempt.

My plan is to continue letting them out in turns in the garden while the other is in the run, and very short periods in the larger area together.
6df69b612ce7310e7518f05f8ecba9c8.jpg

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Did he just mount her or was there aggression from either of them that resulted in your intervention?
Sending lots of positive vibes for a lovely bond.

Last edited:
Did he just mount her or was there aggression from either of them that resulted in your intervention?
Sending lots of positive vibes for a lovely bond.
I dont think there was aggression. He wasn't on her for long before I parted them. I just didn't want her to get defensive. She used to live with her sister whilst both unneutered and they fought, so I'm possibly anxious she can get aggro. I dont know who was the dominant sister.
He has always lived alone before we got him.

Chasing, fur pulling and mounting is normal and necessary for them to sort out their hierarchy. There is no need to separate unless they start to fight. Hope it goes well for you.

Chasing, fur pulling and mounting is normal and necessary for them to sort out their hierarchy. There is no need to separate unless they start to fight. Hope it goes well for you.
Oh no. I might have to let my husband deal with it. I'd be too stressed. Are there any signs to look out for that they are about to fight?

Back