• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Air purifier for sneezing?

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
I'm not completely sure where to put this thread, as it's about bunny health but also about air purifiers themselves...

Does anyone have any experience with air purifiers making sneezy bunnies sneeze less? I was thinking the reduction in dust might help? I was also wondering if air purifiers are a lot of work? I mean, do you need to clean them often, or is it just a matter of changing the filter once in a while? Are they noisy? And by noisy I mean, do they make sound at all? Are there any downsides to air purifiers the manufacturers don't tell you about? Lots of questions, I know. :lol:

I have one in the guinea pig room, and it definitely reduces the dust levels a bit. I find I have to have it at the low setting though, or it's too noisy for them. You need to get one with a HEPA filter, and they do need replacing.

The one I have has an outer washable filter, which helps a bit with some of the dust, then a replaceable HEPA filter inside. The brand I have is Blueair.

I have one in the guinea pig room, and it definitely reduces the dust levels a bit. I find I have to have it at the low setting though, or it's too noisy for them. You need to get one with a HEPA filter, and they do need replacing.

The one I have has an outer washable filter, which helps a bit with some of the dust, then a replaceable HEPA filter inside. The brand I have is Blueair.
Ooh, that's all very helpful to know! Thank you, Sarah. I'll look into that brand!

I use one for Phoebe and she breathes a lot better with it on :)

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Oh, that's really good to hear! I'm glad it helps Phoebe. Thank you for sharing that. :) I've been looking at air purifiers today, but I'm rather overwhelmed by all the options!

I have a Lenoir air purifier and it certainly helps clear the air. It does make a noise though. It also shows you when the filter needs changing. Funnily enough I was also going to buy a Blueair filter but not sure now! I would say having one is better than not having one.

I have a Lenoir air purifier and it certainly helps clear the air. It does make a noise though. It also shows you when the filter needs changing. Funnily enough I was also going to buy a Blueair filter but not sure now! I would say having one is better than not having one.
That's really good to know that you find that it does clean the air! Thank you for letting me know. I'll look into that brand. Too bad about the noise, though... I'm rather sensitive to sound, so I'd like a completely silent one, but those probably don't exist. ;) That's very handy that it lets you know when the filter needs to be changed!

The Blueair is only noisy on the top setting. It's really quiet on the first setting, so I keep it at that for the pigs.

The Blueair is only noisy on the top setting. It's really quiet on the first setting, so I keep it at that for the pigs.
Ooh, that sounds good if it's really quiet on the lowest setting. Can I ask what model you have? They have different ones, I saw.

Ooh, that sounds good if it's really quiet on the lowest setting. Can I ask what model you have? They have different ones, I saw.

Blue Pure 411, apparently (I just took it apart to look!) It's in a very small room, so you need to check what size room it covers before you decide. I've got a spare outer filter too, so they can be washed and rotated (although it dries really fast).

Blue Pure 411, apparently (I just took it apart to look!) It's in a very small room, so you need to check what size room it covers before you decide. I've got a spare outer filter too, so they can be washed and rotated (although it dries really fast).
Thank you so much for taking it apart to check the model! I've seen that one on the website. I'll check to see if it would be suitable for here. There's no door between the bunny room and the living room, so it would need to be able to cover both rooms. A spare outer filter sounds very handy.

Edit: I must've misremembered as they have new models now on the website. I'll look into those!

Last edited:
I think its cute when bunnies sneeze. I need to get an air purifier because the air in my place s very dry. I'm also getting a humidifier as well.

I think its cute when bunnies sneeze. I need to get an air purifier because the air in my place s very dry. I'm also getting a humidifier as well.
Ah, I think you'll stop finding it cute when your bunny is sneezing dozens of times a day. It's not fun for them. :( I don't think an air purifier will help with dry air, you'll only need the humidifier for that, but it'll help the quality of the air, at least.

I just wanted to update and say that I ended up buying a Coway Airmega 150, and it's definitely helping Casper. It took a few days before I noticed a difference (I guess it might take a while to get the air nice and clean?), but he's sneezing a lot less often now. He's still sneezing a bit, though, but not nearly as much as he was.

I just wanted to update and say that I ended up buying a Coway Airmega 150, and it's definitely helping Casper. It took a few days before I noticed a difference (I guess it might take a while to get the air nice and clean?), but he's sneezing a lot less often now. He's still sneezing a bit, though, but not nearly as much as he was.

Brilliant news, I'm happy its helping reduce Caspers sneezing. Is it quiet enough?

Brilliant news, I'm happy its helping reduce Caspers sneezing. Is it quiet enough?
Aw, thank you. It is! It's really quiet most of the time, but it's on auto mode during the day, so when it detects an increase of dust in the air it'll start to work harder and that can be pretty noisy, but that usually doesn't last for very long, thankfully.

Aw, thank you. It is! It's really quiet most of the time, but it's on auto mode during the day, so when it detects an increase of dust in the air it'll start to work harder and that can be pretty noisy, but that usually doesn't last for very long, thankfully.

what a clever machine. I'm glad its not too noisy - most of the time

Great stuff! I definitely noticed that the air felt cleaner when I first put one in the guinea pig room. When I'm cleaning them out I try to remember to put it on the high mode for a bit, but I usually forget! :oops:

Back