• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit sneezing back-to-back

kat9055

New Kit
My Netherland dwarf, Barnaby, will be 11 years old in August. The past year, he has been sneezing back-to-back, sometimes for over a minute. It happens at least once a week. He has no discharge or other behavior changes and eats fine. I'm concerned because we don't have any rabbit savvy vets nearby (within an hour and a half drive), so even if I take him in to his current vet, they don't have a lot of bunny experience and he'd have to be vaccinated before his visit, even though he is only ever indoors and I worry he will have a bad reaction, as he is older.

If there is anyone else who has any experience with sneezing bunnies, I'd value advice about what to do and what to watch for. I'm wondering if it could be a reaction to dust or allergies, maybe teeth related?

I use wood pellets, kiln dried and approved for rabbit bedding separated from the rabbits feet with a metal pegboard (metal with holes, so comfortable on the feet) with Timothy hay over the top (with a separate Timothy hay feeder), but the cat litterboxes are currently in the bunny room, so maybe it is dust related?*

I don’t have any experience of sneezing bunnies but I would advise a vets visit. It could also be an allergy, some foreign body stuck or an illness causing it

My Netherland dwarf, Barnaby, will be 11 years old in August. The past year, he has been sneezing back-to-back, sometimes for over a minute. It happens at least once a week. He has no discharge or other behavior changes and eats fine. I'm concerned because we don't have any rabbit savvy vets nearby (within an hour and a half drive), so even if I take him in to his current vet, they don't have a lot of bunny experience and he'd have to be vaccinated before his visit, even though he is only ever indoors and I worry he will have a bad reaction, as he is older.

If there is anyone else who has any experience with sneezing bunnies, I'd value advice about what to do and what to watch for. I'm wondering if it could be a reaction to dust or allergies, maybe teeth related?

I use wood pellets, kiln dried and approved for rabbit bedding separated from the rabbits feet with a metal pegboard (metal with holes, so comfortable on the feet) with Timothy hay over the top (with a separate Timothy hay feeder), but the cat litterboxes are currently in the bunny room, so maybe it is dust related?*

Unfortunately your only option is to consult a Vet. It could be that your Rabbit has an upper respiratory tract infection which if left untreated can become very serious leading to pneumonia. Nethies are prone to sneezing because they are brachycephalic (flat faced). The sneezing can be due to infection, elongation of the tooth roots and dental malocclusion, allergies.

Your Vet cannot refuse to treat your Rabbit, vaccinated or not. You wouldn't be able to have him vaccinated anyway if he is sick.

The sooner he is seen by a Vet the better the prognosis. Even a non Rabbit Savvy Vet will be able to diagnose a RTI and prescribe an antibiotic. So the very best thing you can do for the welfare of your Rabbit it to consult your Vet ASAP.

As an aside, healthy indoor Rabbits need vaccinating too, not just those housed outdoors. Elderly Rabbits can still be vaccinated, age alone should not preclude them.

You mention the cat litter boxes being currently in the bunny room. Were they elsewhere before he started sneezing?
Sending Barnaby lots of positive vibes.
A vet visit would be a good start.

Last edited:
I had a similar situation and it was hay up the nose. No mucus either. Look up the nose with a bright flashlight. if you do find a piece of hay pull it out gently so it's not to break it off.

Back