• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice re: rapid heartrate please U/D

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I posted ages ago mentioning that Apache seemed to breathe awfully fast compared to other rabbits... I seem to have noticed it more recently but I think it's actually heartrate rather than breathing. If I put my head next to him I can hear his heartbeat quite clearly and it's super fast.:?

He doesn't do it constantly but it's quite scary when he has a phase of it, it's like he's vibrating. It seems to be random rather than following exercise or anything like that.

I feel like he's been doing it more often recently but I genuinely don't know if I'm just paranoid because of losing Sorrel or if he's actually ill. I will be taking him to the vet but I don't 100% trust them so thought I'd ask your opinions as to what it could signify.

I took a video of him but it didn't show up properly how he looks when he's doing it. He seems totally healthy otherwise :?

Last edited:
this is whats happening with pearl, i know her breathing isnt right but noone else can see it :?

hope hes ok hun xxxx

gah. What's going on with Pearl now - is there anything else they can test for?

The thign is I KNOW he has done this ever since I got him cos I found the thread I posted before...I wonder if I'm just fixating on it cos all my other buns have gone which makes me paranoid about the one I have left :?

I can't find anything in any of the books which matches his "symptoms"...will see what vets have to say though.

The thign is I KNOW he has done this ever since I got him cos I found the thread I posted before...I wonder if I'm just fixating on it cos all my other buns have gone which makes me paranoid about the one I have left :?

I can't find anything in any of the books which matches his "symptoms"...will see what vets have to say though.

Good luck at the vets. :)

the vet nurse said to me as gentle as she could without offending me that sometimes we watch them too much, and the fact we are looking for illness means we see it more readily :? she could be right... i dont even know what normal breathing is like anymore...

maybe with Sorrel being so raw in your mind your seeing something thats not there :( i hope your vet can ease your mind as i have no idea whats up with Pearl right now :?:?

Thats 3 of us now with buns doing the same thing and vets have no ideea what it is, there must be a connection its all too strange.
What food do you guys feed? Which hay and bedding do you use?

I believe normal breathing should be about 60 bpm, with all my other buns i have to concentrate hard to see them breathing

Thats 3 of us now with buns doing the same thing and vets have no ideea what it is, there must be a connection its all too strange.
What food do you guys feed? Which hay and bedding do you use?

I believe normal breathing should be about 60 bpm, with all my other buns i have to concentrate hard to see them breathing

Make that four!

Tinks & Rudy have Excel, Burns Organic Mountain Hay plus some cheaper hay from local supplier, I've just started using Megazorb/Easibed but Tinks' symptoms had started before using Megazorb. (I thought I was being paranoid until this evening when I thought I'd better find out how many breaths she should be taking). I've never really noticed them breathing before so couldn't say for sure whether Tinks breathes rapidly normally or not, she does have a history of one episode of snuffles though.

i cant keep them still enough to count... i think pearl is at about 160 but alvin dont seem to be breathin much slower than her WTF is going on with my buns :?

Smokey breathes faster than the rest of my rabbits and i asked the vet about it,he said at some point in his life he has had a rattle on his chest and he checked him over and said he was fine.

Are all of our buns indoors?

Just counted Lionel again and he is doing around 60 in 15 secs so around 240bpm just out of curiosity i counted Lolly too and she is doing 80bpm

pearl did 42 in 15 seconds..... Alvin did about 30 in 15 seconds...

i have no idea what is normal anymore...

what we need is for someone with a healthy bun to do a count for us :shock:

the vet nurse said to me as gentle as she could without offending me that sometimes we watch them too much, and the fact we are looking for illness means we see it more readily :? she could be right... i dont even know what normal breathing is like anymore...

maybe with Sorrel being so raw in your mind your seeing something thats not there :( i hope your vet can ease your mind as i have no idea whats up with Pearl right now :?:?

I do think I'm para cos I was certain he'd lost weight, popped him on the scales and he's actually gained some :lol: but the last time I had a "hunch" that a bun was poorly (Poppy) the vets told me I was imagining it cos she didn't really have any symptoms, and she was dead within a few weeks. So I tend to be careful now.

I'm not convinced it is his breathing that's fast, I think it's his heart - unless of course the two are interdependent, I really don't know :oops:

I lookd up heartrate in one of my books and it said it can be up to 300bpm....havent counted him yet but can't imagine it's more than that...but it's weird how he only does it sometimes :? I thought he was sleeping more than normal too but i think it's just cos I've been off work for days so have had more chance to see the sleeping taking place if you follow me.

Last edited:
pearl did 42 in 15 seconds..... Alvin did about 30 in 15 seconds...

i have no idea what is normal anymore...

what we need is for someone with a healthy bun to do a count for us :shock:

I read a thread earlier where Jane said it should be 32 to 60 per minute. I then thought Tink at 80 - 100 was alarming but it's nothing compared to what I've heard since :shock:

Katie - Yes, indoor bunnies.

Hmmm well he had a checkup, they didn't find anything out of the ordinary and said they couldn't think of anything that would cause this symptom :?

He is fine other than this, eats like a horse and races around non stop, so I don't really want to drag him round loads of other vets to see what they think :? I will continue to look into it though.

Hmmm well he had a checkup, they didn't find anything out of the ordinary and said they couldn't think of anything that would cause this symptom :?

He is fine other than this, eats like a horse and races around non stop, so I don't really want to drag him round loads of other vets to see what they think :? I will continue to look into it though.

It's good that they didn't find anything, but hard to know if there is 'something' or paranoia. I took Tinks for a check up today and the vet said pretty much the same - she couldn't find anything. Tinks was reasonably compliant at being examined which worried me a little in itself. She's on baytril for a week 'just in case'.

Hmmm well after thinking he had been a bit too quiet and inactive over the weekend I've not been able to keep up with him tonight, he has been destroying things left right and centre and climbing up all the furniture :oops::oops:

***edited to add pic of Apache stuffing himself this evening***

005-1.jpg

I have just remembered he gets hiccups from time to time aswell which none of my other buns did...i wonder if that is in any way linked

why do I have rabbits...*dies of stress*

Last edited:
Its nothing to do with the heat and humidity is it.
One of my chickens always get 'panty' in this kind of weather, in fact I'll have to get her in to the vet tomorrow for another antibiotic/ steriod injection.

Could be...I have trouble breathing in this weather myself so I guess it could affect him the same way.

I have just been round all the buns at the rescue time their breathing :oops::oops::oops: and it was very variable, from about 30 breaths per minute to over 100.

Interestingly there's also a long term resident who was breathing EXACTLY how Apache does when he's having one of his funny turns...apparently he does it often and has never had any health problems....which is encouraging I guess.

i will have grey hair by the time I'm 25.

Hmmm

Well in case anyone is interested I haven't seen him do it much recently...definitely far less than he was before:? maybe he just likes to wind me up?

anyway seems promising *touch wood*

Back