• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please - slight eye injury Lillian

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Bit of a strange one for your collective advice please. I thought things were going a bit too well for us here, having avoided the vets for the last 2 months.
Noticed during the last week that Lillian has a bit more 'sleep crust' at the corner of her eye (the corner nearest the nose). We put it down to the fact that without Henry grooming her, she's not doing a perfectjob of washing her face/eyes and we've just been gently cleaning/wiping the area.
I've just had a good look tonight and to me, it looks very much like there is a very small cut at the eyelid line - in the 'v' area. So it's probably residue from weeping. We think that this could perhaps be from an over-excited Leo who may have caught her eye with his paw/claw during supervised meetings (through mesh) - as they have not yet been put together.
I am more than happy to whizz Lillian to the vet tomorrow - I'm not against that.
But my question to you all is - is this something which perhaps will heal itself?
I appreciate that antibacterial eye drops may be something you would all suggest - I agree there, but there's no sign of any infection. Skin is pink and healthy but obviously in an area that is constantly moist and not somewhere that you could apply a stitch or wound dressing.
Advice/guidance please.

Well, depending on when the injury happened, the eye could very well already be repairing itself. Certainly no harm in popping her round to the vets and having him get a look at it to be sure. Corneal ulcers can spring up if the wound is actually on the eyeball itself and those would be nasty.
I suppose drops cold be administered prophylactically, but it could also complicate healing if anything gets trapped in the injured area that might need flushing out.

Not 100% sure but it should be okay till morning if you can get her in to be seen then, as long as she's not worrying it overly.

Sorry to hear there's trouble with the bunnies again. :( Just when you think you've gained a breather, eh? Healing vibes on the way for Lillian. xxxx

I think a vet visit would be the best, to put your mind at rest more than anything.

Snowy had an eye ulcer once from getting hay stuck in her eye :roll:
Easily treated and she recovered well from it. Symptoms from memory were closing the eye more than normal and a little weeping.

Hope you get her sorted!

I think a vet visit would be the best, to put your mind at rest more than anything.

Snowy had an eye ulcer once from getting hay stuck in her eye :roll:
Easily treated and she recovered well from it. Symptoms from memory were closing the eye more than normal and a little weeping.

Hope you get her sorted!

I agree. The Vet can also check for any corneal abrasions/ulcer. Good luck :)

So, vets it is then.
Just to clarify, I wasn't holding back to go to the vets - quite the opposite. Although it probably didn't look that way.
I've rung the vets just now, and we're booked in at 10:15. They asked if Lillian was eating properly! Lillian? Eating? She's always got her nose buried into the dish of herbs/greens etc. We'll get her weighed while we are there and I'll post the weight later - probably after a lecture from the vet.
But this thread takes a bit of a twist now. I went to open up Leo this morning (bear in mind we've kept Leo and Lillian apart as far as bonding goes since we got Leo) and this morning, on the newspaper where he sits at the top of his hutch, seems to be what looks like a patch of dried blood! It's a thin patch, very noticable. My heart sank. What the heck was this? We've picked Leo up and given him a once over (not easy because Leo isn't really a fan of being held) and from head to toe. We have found no evidence of any injury, wound or marks. Nothing round his mouth, nose, eyes, paws.
Lwo is outside in the garden now, merrily bouncing round, no limping or impairment. His demeanour seems normal so I'm now wondering (aka panicking) if this is internal ie urine?
I'm gonna clean his hutch out in a moment and check to see if there is any evidence in his toilet area. His genitalia area looked perfectly clean, no sign of any blood there so if he has cleaned his area, then he's done a perfect job. Which is what makes me worry that this might be internal/urine?
Anyway, with that in mind, I've made a double appointment with the vet. Not sure what they can do given the lack of evidence but we'll see what they say.
And here I was just wanting a normal peaceful weekend........
Will update when we get back from the vets....

Good luck with the vet trip.
The "stain" you noticed on Leo's bedding, could it have been urine? Our buns occasionally have a very dark blood like pee in their litter tray, which can give me a minute or two of panic as I check them for an injury
Fingers crossed for a stress free trip

Richard

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Oh Craig, sorry to hear about your bunnies, they love keeping you on your toes. Really hope they both get on ok this morning. Just a thought, is it definitely blood and not wee, I remember the first time I saw bunny wee after they had eaten dandelions, I nearly had heart failure ! Anyway good luck xxx

It’s update time.
Well, the vet didn’t think Lillian had any cut or damage to her eyelid. She used the eye stain and checked the eye and there’s zero damage or sign of bugs. Happy days.
Leo? Well, he’s now registered and she checked him over. Teeth are fine and no visible signs of any wound. Leo we’ve discovered, doesn’t like vets!
Now, we think perhaps that the blood on the newspaper might have been there from whoever had it last - we get papers donated. It was the last 2 sheets on the top and I have his hutch a jolly good clean before going to the vets. I found his wee area and it was healthy wet and no evidence of staining or blood. No sign of blood on the straw and loads of poop and all good normal no discolouration.
Vet did suggest urine but with nothing else to go on, we’ll just see how today goes as he’s acting fine, eating fine and no sign of anything odd. If there’s any sign of blood on the clean paper I put in, then we’ll take Leo straight back.
As a side note, our vets are advertising for a hospital care assistant so I’m going to have a crack for that. I’d quite like to work in the hospital assisting and helping to look after the animals.
Thank you all for your vibes. Bunnies seem ok at the mo.

Pleased that there was nothing to worry about. That sounds interesting - working at the Vets!

That's good news Craig, glad visit went well. I would think you'd be a shoe in for that position :thumb: :D

Glad that no bunny is poorly or injured and good luck with applying for the job - it sounds wonderful. I presume you didnt get a lecture re Lillian's weight (I always get one re Susan's!)

Back