• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please re: spaying bunnies

Thanks for all the comments! Love hearing about your bunnies!

Bunny momma--I'll definitely be making sure Gert and Flopsy get enough pain killers! I can already picture the look Gert will give me when she gets back from the Vet (a cross between suspicion and utter disdain! :evil:).

I can emagen that look.

Beauty always looks sort of grumpy but after the vets visit it’s a full on stay away or I’ll do some thing about it look acompanyed by foot thumps. It’s weird that when ever I try to get a picture of this grumpy bunny she looks nothing but the cutest sweetest angel :lol:

Yeaaa buns are amazing but also a nightmare rolled into one far too cute package [emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

74a393c8aa9cef5c63bd24e9a5f28792.jpg

Yep cuteness personified but here she was achilly grumpy. Just some how she bewitches the camera to always never catch that grumpy look [emoji23][emoji23]

If I didn’t have to I don’t think I would leave the flat just to be able to keep up with all the cute and mischevious antics [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74a393c8aa9cef5c63bd24e9a5f28792.jpg

Yep cuteness personified but here she was achilly grumpy. Just some how she bewitches the camera to always never catch that grumpy look [emoji23][emoji23]

If I didn’t have to I don’t think I would leave the flat just to be able to keep up with all the cute and mischevious antics [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you're mistaken.. That looks like an adorable little bunny... She can do no wrong! [emoji38][emoji38]

I think you're mistaken.. That looks like an adorable little bunny... She can do no wrong! [emoji38][emoji38]

Oh I’m not denying that but hell when she gives dirty looks you better not be having milk in ya tea or coffee :lol: :lol:

Aww you have beautiful bunnies!

Your setup is the same as ours by the sound of it. When we had our girls spayed, we kept them indoors for a full fortnight to allow them to heal, on vet advice. The first 5 days they were in a large puppy pen and we only let them out after about day 3 to stretch their legs really, poor things! Then they were allowed to poke about the utility room for the remaining time, but never allowed to stretch or climb anything. Once the fortnight was up, they were allowed to go back outside into their shed, where their 2-storey hutch was also housed. They healed beautifully, no problems at all.

We never separated ours - they're bonded sisters - and our vet never suggested they be separated either. In fact, we have never separated them; if one needs the vet, they both go. Always have, always will. They will only ever be separated upon first death. It's not worth the risk to separate them beforehand, even for quick vet visits, because if they come back smelling differently there is a chance that the other rabbit will reject them and their bond could be broken.

Don't be alarmed when your girls come back after being spayed and are super-dopey and do nothing but sleep. It's normal - they've just had major surgery and will still be off their faces on the anaesthetic. They probably won't eat properly either, ours didn't. Offer them water, i.e. take it to them as they may not feel like moving much. And food, for the same reason, although don't be worried if they refuse it. They will lick their wounds, it's normal. Pop them on towels, or vet bed, rather than hay or straw, as fleece is softer for them to lie on. They will pee/poop on it though.

Don't over-fuss them either when they come home. Just partially cover the puppy pen so they can snooze and settle, keep an eye on them (obviously), but just leave them to get over their trauma. In 48hrs you can fuss as much as you like as they should be back to normal - wide awake, eating, drinking, etc. And it's great to have them in the house for a bit! :)

Thanks very much, Angie B. I appreciate your advice and I do feel more reassured that they'll be fine.

Yes, the puppy pen does sound very similar to what we have so I think it will work well indoors. They have used it temporarily indoors before during the winter and are currently using it outside as a play pen, so it's a familiar environment to them.

I also think that separation would be a mistake--they've been together since they were small so I think they would be more traumatised to be without each other.

52647485_10156316328277756_6043853300049117184_n.jpg

Just trying to figure out how to post a photo of Gert and Flopsy (I'm a novice to these forums!)

Here's 'the look' Gert gives me! :(
49446116_10156192957107756_7477842425193431040_n.jpg

They are gorgeous :love: back when I had 2 sisters spayed, I brought them inside for a week or so into a dog crate/puppy pen, and when they went outside I didn’t allow them upstairs up the ramp in the hutch for another couple of weeks I don’t think, if I can remember rightly. Mine had subcutaneous fluids at the vets, and metacam for post spay at home for several days after. They recovered fine, I used newspaper in the tray and put hay in a rack to avoid it going in their wound. And for wound checking I’d hold a treat just high enough for them to stretch very slightly up so I could see it.

I hope it all goes well. Is your vet rabbit savvy?

UPDATE: both bunnies have now been spayed and are doing very well! Gert was a bit slow getting back to eating and neither would take their meds the next day, so I took them back to the vets and they gave them meds via injections. We also had to do a bit of rebonding when Flopsy got a bit too hormonal and starting chasing and nipping Gert. Happily, both girls are now friends again and were back in their hutch a week after their ops! Hurrah!! :D :D :D

UPDATE: both bunnies have now been spayed and are doing very well! Gert was a bit slow getting back to eating and neither would take their meds the next day, so I took them back to the vets and they gave them meds via injections. We also had to do a bit of rebonding when Flopsy got a bit too hormonal and starting chasing and nipping Gert. Happily, both girls are now friends again and were back in their hutch a week after their ops! Hurrah!! :D :D :D

So pleased that you have had a happy outcome :D

Wonderful news. I am glad you persisted and had the vet give them the meds. It is good to know they are both doing well and back to being friends.

Back