• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Coccidia urgent advice please

Bunnymum4

Young Bun
Hi I'm new here. I have 4 very spoilt well cared for bunnies.2 are outdoor 2 indoor.all kept clean and pampered. Teddy has become gravely ill nearly died diagnosed with coccidia.im devastated and feel iv done something wrong. Does anyone have any advice please

Hi I'm new here. I have 4 very spoilt well cared for bunnies.2 are outdoor 2 indoor.all kept clean and pampered. Teddy has become gravely ill nearly died diagnosed with coccidia.im devastated and feel iv done something wrong. Does anyone have any advice please

How old are they all?
What treatment has the Vet given?
All in contact Rabbits need to be treated.

Information about Coccidiosis here:

https://www.birdexoticsvet.com.au/blogblog/2020/6/6/coccidiosis-in-rabbits

* GRAPHIC IMAGES ON THIS LINK *

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm

Hi so today he was prescribed baycox poultry and I'm very concerned to give it him as iv read it can make them ill. He's been on anti inflammatory and antibiotics and perked up so I'm terrified to give the poultry baycox. Can anyone advise me urgently pls

Thank you
Vet has prescribed it but says poultry version on it which iv read is.not good for bunnies.

There are many drugs which are not specifically aimed at rabbits but are often used, including metacam (there are cat and dog versions). A lot of it comes down to the cost of testing for the required species approval, and it's a small market for rabbits, so it's often not done. It doesn't necessarily mean that a medication can't / shouldn't be used if it's prescribed by a suitably qualified professional. If you are still uncertain, I suggest you talk to your vet tomorrow for reassurance. They can explain why they have chosen that drug and go through any possible side effects, etc. It's always good to query things you are unsure about, but you also need to consider the welfare of the poorly rabbit - so don't put it off. A decent vet will be more than happy to talk through all your concerns.

I hope he makes a full recovery. You've done well to pull him through so far - rabbits are fragile creatures.

There are many drugs which are not specifically aimed at rabbits but are often used, including metacam (there are cat and dog versions). A lot of it comes down to the cost of testing for the required species approval, and it's a small market for rabbits, so it's often not done. It doesn't necessarily mean that a medication can't / shouldn't be used if it's prescribed by a suitably qualified professional. If you are still uncertain, I suggest you talk to your vet tomorrow for reassurance. They can explain why they have chosen that drug and go through any possible side effects, etc. It's always good to query things you are unsure about, but you also need to consider the welfare of the poorly rabbit - so don't put it off. A decent vet will be more than happy to talk through all your concerns.

^^^^This

It’s called ‘Cascade’ prescribing

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-cascade-prescribing-unauthorised-medicines

Hi sorry I'm not very good at navigating this forum on my phone. Iv literally slept outside by his side reminding him to eat and drink following him round like a mad woman! But it seems to be working. I'm struggling getting vile meds down him as he spits out (tips welcome ��), hes still very thin but he is mooching about and compared to nearly being dead my baby is still alive and fighting!! I'm driving him mad stalking him and babying him but my buns are my world. I appreciate your support❤��

Have you tried syringe feeding him with one of the recovery powders? Top up feeds will help him to recover if he's not eating properly, and it's essential to keep his guts working as best they can, under the circumstances.

I have to syringe him 3 medicines by which time he is so exhausted and distressed there's no way I can syringe recovery. He is nibbling all day and I'm giving unlimited treats too but obviously this isn't ideal. Thank you ��

Hi I'm not sure if you got my message. My teddy died and it was a horrific scary death for him. I am unconsolable x

Back