• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please- Henry bun U/D 5th jan

Ha, I thought so.

I have had massive periods of bunny good health & I always am thankful cos you know anxious times will be coming sooner or later. just as well they are so damn special
dear craig1965,-how very true.-rabbits are prey critters,as such they hide any pain-to the point of dying-the scream is unforgettable.-as you say daily vigilance with them is the only way to lessen the stress,and being knowledgeable of their things that will go wrong quickly..it stresses me out to read through medical posts,and realize people need to know more about rabbits.-when I see them for sale at farm stores[I kringe]-and people are very receptive/thankful for any info...sincerely james waller http://www.medirabbit.com this is my favorite source --from across the great pond-usa

If only bunnies could text! :lol:
Glad to hear all seems to be well with Henry, minus a bruised dignity. ;) I'm sure he's probably had enough of poking and prodding as you have had with stress. And I'm right there with you. My bunnies are missed so very much, but I don't miss the anxiety that came with their day to day care! :roll:

More vibes for continued good health for both Henry and Lillian. xx :)

8am quick update for you all.
Well, last night was weird. Henry is not and has never been a ‘cuddle’ sort of bun. He’s always quite active, busy and fidgety if you hold him. So when we came back from vet, he chose what we’ve now identified as his favourite spot in the living room - bang in between two rooms (open plan) and flopped. He never flops. He usually sits perk upright.
Didn’t want to know about food or water.
We got fibreplex into him and the sulfatrim - he wasn’t happy but we just made a bunny burrito and that was that.
I decided to cuddle him as he seemed really lethargic. And we just lay on the sofa for hours. His head rested on my chest. I had a small blanket on and covered his back with that. He wasn’t bothered.
I honestly thought that was gonna be it.
Then I thought as we lay there- Lillian was like this last year after a pain med injection and we discovered it was an opiate based one (thanks to Jj for that advice) and it totally zonked her out. So I’m thinking the pain med Henry was given ‘may’ have been an opiate based one because of just how ‘out of it’ Henry was.
I decided to sleep downstairs with the bunnies. We put the heating up a tad and Henry lay on the floor next to me.
He looked comfortable but way too relaxed. I put food and water out.
By about 2am he’d moved into the kitchen/diner with Lillian despite the inner door being open. Their routine is that they go into the kitchen/diner at about 11pm every night so this was a treat for them.
I checked on them about 4am and they were snuggled up together in their usual spot on the kitchen/diner so I left them there.
I’ve checked on them at 8am. Lillian was predictably hungry and Henry picked some cabbage shreds up and...oh, excuse me a moment...Henry’s just come in and is eating some paper (he has developed a real appetite for paper and cardboard lately).
He’s not too interested in any food I’ve just put out but appears much more active and bright although these are only initial observations.
I’ll update you all again later and again, thank you each and all for your vibes and thoughts.
Craig and Henry xx

Interesting you should say he’s developed an appetite for paper/card. I have had to remove all paper and card in the bunny room after Frosty ate cardboard and it caused a major gut slowdown. He’s not allowed it anymore! I would try experimenting with different hay and see if you can get him eating more, as that will be good all round.

Interesting you should say he’s developed an appetite for paper/card. I have had to remove all paper and card in the bunny room after Frosty ate cardboard and it caused a major gut slowdown. He’s not allowed it anymore! I would try experimenting with different hay and see if you can get him eating more, as that will be good all round.

This can be indicative of either Dental problems or a 'sluggish' Cecum- AKA 'Cecal Impaction'

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

I'd remove all cardboard as ingesting it wont do him any favours. I hope that his input and output improve throughout today .

Quick update at 4:30.
I think I need help because I just can’t understand bunnies!
Henry has been subdued all day, save for a short period when he went on a further cardboard eating rampage (sorry jj, but we have quite a bit round the house which is now covered as best we can with towels). Henry’s not really into fibreplex but has light grazed on dried forage and the occasional dried pellet. We think there’s a bit of output - small and hard by the looks of it. No sign of loose poop.
Energy levels down and he’s just sat there all day. So I picked him up about 3pm for a cuddle and we sat on the settee for an hour. I had a snuggle blanket on his back which I think he liked, and he just sat there on my chest.
Then, after an hour, the weirdest thing- and that’s where I need help. Henry moves his head up and started to face lick me.
He has NEVER ever done this. I was totally bamboozled.
Then after a few minutes, he jumped onto the floor and ran over to the patio door looking outside in hope. It was twilight so I opened the door and off he bolted, followed closely by Lillian.
He hopped up the garden and the pair of them sat expectantly outside the garage back door but I wasn’t going to let them in as it’s cardboard shangrila in there. So he and Lillian sat outside for half an hour. When it was too dark to see, I went to get them. Lillian was not having any of it so we had a game of chase me if you can see me. Henry ran down to the patio door - not quite zoomy speed but quick enough.
Once in, he had a nibble on some dried forage and it’s now time for fibreplex.
I’m not at all sure what to make of all this. One minute I’m having leaky eyes. The next, I’m smiling watching a completely different bunny.
What am I missing???

I don't think you are missing anything except they are like humans, they have many sides to their personality with feelings similar to ours. I think he will soon be back to normal soon.

I, too, dont think you are missing anything I think our bunnies are complex and beautiful souls who know what they want and when they want it - even if it is bad for them (cardboard!) Topping up the vibes.

I don't think you're missing anything either, when Atticus had his last episode he'd change like that, and I'd be happy then sad, then confused.. And just well repeat that over and over, he also groomed for the first time when he was unwell, and it's continued after now he is off the meds (I won't say better because somethings still up) I don't understand it either tbh! It's like they know we're helping.. Which probably sounds crazy [emoji38]

Definitely make sure no cardboard access, Apricot does exactly the same thing when she's not feeling well, and it just makes it worse [emoji21]

Sending more vibes for him, you're doing an amazing job with him, both Henry and Lillian are so lucky to have you x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Then, after an hour, the weirdest thing- and that’s where I need help. Henry moves his head up and started to face lick me.
He has NEVER ever done this. I was totally bamboozled.

This is interesting because Phillip has never been an overly affectionate rabbit towards humans but has started to lick my face often since his run of vet trips and medicine in December when Snowy died. You'd think he'd be less affectionate after so much intervention but he's become more so. I like to think it's because he in some way understood all that I've done for him was to make him better!

Hoping Henry continues to perk up, you're doing a great job :)

This is interesting because Phillip has never been an overly affectionate rabbit towards humans but has started to lick my face often since his run of vet trips and medicine in December when Snowy died. You'd think he'd be less affectionate after so much intervention but he's become more so. I like to think it's because he in some way understood all that I've done for him was to make him better!

Hoping Henry continues to perk up, you're doing a great job :)

You see- this is what I was thinking - and that would demonstrate a very specific understanding and reciprocation of what we hoomans call love. I absolutely believe this is possible- it’s just thrown me actually seeing it develop.

Of all the bunnies I've lived with the most loving ones have been the ones who got loads of hands on medical care. I know in my heart they know we are trying to help.

I also agree with Tonibun that rabbits experience a whole range of emotions & behaviours will vary accordingly. 2 nights ago Mouse gave me kisses for the first time ever. I've had her nearly 5 years. My vets instructions were to groom her regularly to get rid of the dead skin & mites. She won't settle for it on the floor so I put her on my knee, dodged the nips & got on with it. The nips stopped & she settled, 5 mins later she was grooming my arm (it wasn't at the exact time I was grooming her either when its more like mechanical response) In that moment, for a minute, maybe 2, Mousey loved me:love: I just have Joey to crack now. in 8 years I've had 2-3 cursory singular licks on my jeans covered knee.

Quick update for everybun- Sunday 6pm.
Apologies for my copied link from nap91- I had typed an addition but I am without pc (long story- getting it fixed) so am using my phone and I’m not completely proficient with using it.
Ok, back to Henry. Things went kind of weird late last night as o/h reported an apparent upturn in Henry and his appetite. I was in bed so found out this morning. Henry had seemingly bucked up and even found room for a cranberry.
Now, we had a bit of a disagreement last night cause Henry has made up his mind that he does not like fibreplex and is just refusing it point blank and spitting it out. Not very helpful to say the least and even tho I’d made a bunny burrito, Henry wriggled out of that and I’ve got some nice wounds down my chest that Freddy Kruger would be proud of inflicting!
This morning Henry actively looked for breakfast with Lillian leading the charge. I have predominantly given them dried bought foliage of various components and Henry is enjoying those although Lillian enjoys them more. Henry has eaten some greens and pellets and freely eats regularly today. Usually Lillian starts eating then Henry follows. I have checked him underneath and thus far he remains dry (my primary worry) and no evidence of diahorrea either. Both have had some garden time and Henry has eaten some grass. I’ve steered him away from cardboard. Henry has spent time grooming Lillian and seems a little brighter.
We’ll keep on with the sulfatrim for the week to fend off any possible infection and continue to monitor him as best I can.
We’re only 10 mins from the vet and I’ve got them on speed dial. In fact I’m so well in, I’ve got my own seat there now!!
In answer to nap91 and also joey and boo, yes I wholeheartedly agree that deep down, rabbits (and all animals) know when we are trying to help them. Whilst they don’t always understand what they have to go thro, I do believe that they can sense what we try to do to help, and in doing so, I believe we earn their trust.
Thank you everybun again for all your vibes and support.
Craig and Henry xx

Quick update for everybun- Sunday 6pm.
Apologies for my copied link from nap91- I had typed an addition but I am without pc (long story- getting it fixed) so am using my phone and I’m not completely proficient with using it.
Ok, back to Henry. Things went kind of weird late last night as o/h reported an apparent upturn in Henry and his appetite. I was in bed so found out this morning. Henry had seemingly bucked up and even found room for a cranberry.
Now, we had a bit of a disagreement last night cause Henry has made up his mind that he does not like fibreplex and is just refusing it point blank and spitting it out. Not very helpful to say the least and even tho I’d made a bunny burrito, Henry wriggled out of that and I’ve got some nice wounds down my chest that Freddy Kruger would be proud of inflicting!
This morning Henry actively looked for breakfast with Lillian leading the charge. I have predominantly given them dried bought foliage of various components and Henry is enjoying those although Lillian enjoys them more. Henry has eaten some greens and pellets and freely eats regularly today. Usually Lillian starts eating then Henry follows. I have checked him underneath and thus far he remains dry (my primary worry) and no evidence of diahorrea either. Both have had some garden time and Henry has eaten some grass. I’ve steered him away from cardboard. Henry has spent time grooming Lillian and seems a little brighter.
We’ll keep on with the sulfatrim for the week to fend off any possible infection and continue to monitor him as best I can.
We’re only 10 mins from the vet and I’ve got them on speed dial. In fact I’m so well in, I’ve got my own seat there now!!
In answer to nap91 and also joey and boo, yes I wholeheartedly agree that deep down, rabbits (and all animals) know when we are trying to help them. Whilst they don’t always understand what they have to go thro, I do believe that they can sense what we try to do to help, and in doing so, I believe we earn their trust.
Thank you everybun again for all your vibes and support.
Craig and Henry xx
dear craig1965,-how true,trust is earned not given-henry is still on antibiotic[Bactrim],--I sure hope you are offering probotics--,ill or not probotics reinforce the gut flora,and the immune system.--henry/Lillian forever--good job,-sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa-I sure wish rabbits had their own medical ins.

Back