• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please- Henry bun U/D 5th jan

Sending vibes for Henry - could it be you going away which has upset him. I remember it happened before. Now I am not saying you shouldn't go away but rabbits are very sensitive little creatures and could get upset when a member of their family isn't around. I doubt it was the Broccoli as they are used to eating lots of fresh food and stuff from the garden. Hoping he is soon back to normal.

5pm update. Henry’s been predominantly on dried food - which is tricky because the floof monster wife-bun has not missed an opportunity to stuff her chops with the additional dried nommy food. He’s had some water from the bowl and has had about an hour outside in the garden but wasn’t his usual self.
Thus far, there is no further massive chocolate cake mixture but perhaps as in hoomans, if the gut is upset then it may take a day before the reappearance of solids. He’s eating so input is positive. I’ll need to give him a bit more of a clean later. We’re monitoring him closely and will continue to do so and update you all later
Thank you for all your vibes- they are so much appreciated. Xx

I hope Henry's output is back to normal, or nearly normal by now xx

Thank you Jane and thank you everybun.
Well, as far as the horrendous diahorrea goes, that seems to have eased. No massive areas or coverage.
However, Henry still not himself, lack of energy and worryingly damp underneath- very similar to how Lillian was with her urinary infection and stone last year.
So with those symptoms evident, I’ve booked Henry in to the vet today - 4:45. It’s the vet who operated on Lillian last year so we know there will be a thorough investigation into his symptoms and presentation.
He has a huge amount of tummy gurgling going on so something is definitely not right.
Will update after vets visit.

Oh, poor Henry. :( I'm sorry he's not feeling better yet. I know we couldn't feed broccoli to any of our buns although Fiver in particular was fond of it. He eventually went to a hay and water only diet. It was the only thing that kept him normalized. Not giving him any treats or veggies always made me feel terrible for him but it was the only way. Any time I tried to break protocol he got mushy poo and took awhile to firm up again.

I hope things turn around for Henry soon. (((((((Healing vibes))))))

Thank you everybun for your thoughts and vibes and advice/experiences. As promised, here is Henry’s update from the vet visit.
The vet was very thorough- we’re lucky.
His temperature is very normal. Positive.
His weight was exactly the same as it was on Monday - again, very positive given the episode and his lack of appetite.
His tummy is very relaxed and not bloated so there’s no immediate sign of stasis. Again, positive.
There’s loads of gurgling going on so what we are doing is this:
He had 2 injections- one was (I think) Zantac to help calm the tummy and the other was mild pain relief.
We’ve got sulfatrim to give him twice a day and fibreplex to get into him several times a day to bulk up what’s in hi tummy.
Henry doesn’t like vets - he’s just like to put that out there.
He is sitting at my feet at the moment- in a sort of “I just want to be left alone” sort of sitting position.
Because he is eating, that is a positive and he’s drinking as well.
We’ll monitor and if no change, it’s back to the vets once I’ve remortgaged the house!
I did ask the vet if she had anything she could give me by way of an injection for stress because I’m now at my maximum limit. My body and mind can’t really take much more in the way of vet trips and worry with these two.
I’ll update you all in the morning.
Thank you all again so much for following the journeys of my two buns.
Craig XX

Poor Henry [emoji17] I'm glad you had such a thorough consultation with the vet and that there is nothing of immediate concern. Personally I've found that fibreplex is brilliant stuff. It does a great job of firming up loose stools. My bridge bun Scrappy had a very messy bottom after her spay. Within 24 hours of having the fibreplex she went from producing very messy splats to fully formed firm caecotropes. Hopefully it will work as well for Henry.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I'm glad the vets visit went well, they sound brilliant ! Hope Henry settles down, and tummy returns to normal. Aw bless you Craig, I know how stressful it is having a sick bun, try a drop of rescue remedy maybe, its very calming xx

The day before their first visit to see Ruth at Crab Lane I attempted to ensure Rudey & Mouse had enough food to sustain them by putting a massive selection of nuggets fruit & veg down. Next morning was poo chaos. I had to take them in separate carriers so they wouldnt splatter each other. So many towels used in the consulting room that day. Rudey spat out his fibreplex but it sorted Mouses tum right out within 12 hours. Vibes for you & Henry. Are rabbits more worry making than kids in your opinion? xx

The day before their first visit to see Ruth at Crab Lane I attempted to ensure Rudey & Mouse had enough food to sustain them by putting a massive selection of nuggets fruit & veg down. Next morning was poo chaos. I had to take them in separate carriers so they wouldnt splatter each other. So many towels used in the consulting room that day. Rudey spat out his fibreplex but it sorted Mouses tum right out within 12 hours. Vibes for you & Henry. Are rabbits more worry making than kids in your opinion? xx

Yes. As father to a 21 year old studdying chemistry at uni 200 miles away, I can say with confident assurance that even though he is in my thoughts daily, he does not give me anywhere near the stress and worry that Henry and Lillian give me- largely due to the fact that I’d my son has a problem, he’ll text or say something whereas with bunnies, they don’t tell you. You have to constantly be vigilant and understand individual body language and how each bun behaves. Kids are easy compared to rabbits, by a mile.

[/B]

Yes. As father to a 21 year old studdying chemistry at uni 200 miles away, I can say with confident assurance that even though he is in my thoughts daily, he does not give me anywhere near the stress and worry that Henry and Lillian give me- largely due to the fact that I’d my son has a problem, he’ll text or say something whereas with bunnies, they don’t tell you. You have to constantly be vigilant and understand individual body language and how each bun behaves. Kids are easy compared to rabbits, by a mile.

Ha, I thought so.

I have had massive periods of bunny good health & I always am thankful cos you know anxious times will be coming sooner or later. just as well they are so damn special

Back