• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please- Henry bun U/D 5th jan

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
Could I please ask for your help advice and guidance please.
New year, and I’m still in the trenches here.
This time it’s Henry bun who needs your help please.
Henry has his second rhd2 vaccine 2 days ago. Today, his rear end looks like an explosion in a chocolate cake mix factory. We’ve been to York and back but left Henry in the very capable hands of our experienced bunny minder and she texted us late afternoon to say Henry had quite bad diahorrea. We got back at 6pm and yes, his rear end and tail were totally plastered.
I’ve cleaned him up best I can, combed what I can and he’s sitting next to Lillian.
He last scoffed pellets at 4pm happily. But he’s also been having quite a bit of broccoli the last couple of days.
My question is.... could this be a reaction to the rhd2 vaccine? Or is this too much broccoli-itis?
I thought I read somewhere that broccoli is high in some vitamins so wondered if it’s too much/too rich for Henry.
He’s eaten pellets so there’s input. And obviously I’m not giving him brocolli tonight.
Can you please shed any light for me please?
Thank you all in advance. Xx

Last edited:
Could I please ask for your help advice and guidance please.
New year, and I’m still in the trenches here.
This time it’s Henry bun who needs your help please.
Henry has his second rhd2 vaccine 2 days ago. Today, his rear end looks like an explosion in a chocolate cake mix factory. We’ve been to York and back but left Henry in the very capable hands of our experienced bunny minder and she texted us late afternoon to say Henry had quite bad diahorrea. We got back at 6pm and yes, his rear end and tail were totally plastered.
I’ve cleaned him up best I can, combed what I can and he’s sitting next to Lillian.
He last scoffed pellets at 4pm happily. But he’s also been having quite a bit of broccoli the last couple of days.
My question is.... could this be a reaction to the rhd2 vaccine? Or is this too much broccoli-itis?
I thought I read somewhere that broccoli is high in some vitamins so wondered if it’s too much/too rich for Henry.
He’s eaten pellets so there’s input. And obviously I’m not giving him brocolli tonight.
Can you please shed any light for me please?
Thank you all in advance. Xx
dear craig1965,-my first guess is not rhd2 vaccine,but?-the diet may be to blame,try sticking with grasses 70%,some quality pellets,water,and a few treats.-as you suggested [broccoli-itis]--beacause this is intended to be a treat.-,-a normal gi tract is in constant movement,thus day time poops,watch for the cecotropes [normal/or not]-and listen for loud noisey gut noises,might need infant simethicone.--sincerely james waller from the other kent-usa-

Hi Craig

I agree with James, I think too much broccoli is the more likely cause. I had something similar happen to Snoopy when I gave him too much chicory root. It cleared up within a day and I haven't given him any since.

I'd try and get as much fibre into him as you can to help reset his gut. Bramble leaves wiuld also be very beneficial if you can get hold if any.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Thank you James and slh. I’m taking this badly - I guess I’m just quite a sensitive sort of guy, but I worry myself sick when Henry or Lillian get poorly. Your advice is both comforting and very appreciated.xx

Poor Henry, I agree with the above about the broccoli, I doubt it would be the vaccine. Hope he starts pooping normally soon and keeping fingers crossed a vet visit isn't needed

I agree with the others, it’s probably the broccoli, also over Christmas has anyone else helped feed them? As other people often over feed pellets and that could have caused it. I would try to get as much hay into him as possible, and as SLH has said, a few brambles may help, other than that I would keep him on hay only for a day or so if possible.

Also I just read your other thread about the fireworks, the stress of that could have contributed to the diarrhoea or be the cause too.

I think it's impossible to say with certainty what has caused this. It could be the Broccoli, the fireworks or even the vaccine. However, if it's just a one-off and he seems otherwise OK I wouldn't be too concerned, although it's obviously unpleasant. Whatever the cause, as others have advised, it would be advisable to keep him just on hay plus some Bramble leaves if you have some easily obtainable.

Hopefully, his tummy will be back to normal by tomorrow.

Thank you all for your support and advice. It is reassuring.
It’s 9pm and Henry’s just tucked into a couple of very crispy, very fresh yellow celery tops with leaves- full of moisture and fibre, and a few chunks of cardboard box that has taken some dissuasion to stop him eating. He’s looking for fibre I think. Will give him a syringe of critical care in a moment to help a grumbly tummy

I think it's impossible to say with certainty what has caused this. It could be the Broccoli, the fireworks or even the vaccine. However, if it's just a one-off and he seems otherwise OK I wouldn't be too concerned, although it's obviously unpleasant. Whatever the cause, as others have advised, it would be advisable to keep him just on hay plus some Bramble leaves if you have some easily obtainable.

Hopefully, his tummy will be back to normal by tomorrow.

Agree 100%

How is Henry doing now ? Personally I too would restrict his food to just hay and water for 24-48 hours, assuming he is a good hay eater. If not then hay and a few of his usual pellets but no veg or fruit at all. If you can locate any bramble leaves they'd be good to feed him. If Henry is still passing diarrhea/no formed fecal poo this morning I'd give the Vet a call for advice. Hopefully all is OK now though :)

Quick update on Henry. He’s still got loose stools. Tummy very gurgly. I’ve cleaned him up again. Possibly not quite as horrendous as yesterday. He’s quite quiet but was angrily eating straw when I put him back next to Lillian. Oooh- he’s just this second come hopping round up the sofa where I’m sitting so he’s happy to be mobile.
Will maintain dry fibre as best I can today and monitor regularly and update you all later.
Thank you all again for your advice and vibes.
Craig xx

Quick update on Henry. He’s still got loose stools. Tummy very gurgly. I’ve cleaned him up again. Possibly not quite as horrendous as yesterday. He’s quite quiet but was angrily eating straw when I put him back next to Lillian. Oooh- he’s just this second come hopping round up the sofa where I’m sitting so he’s happy to be mobile.
Will maintain dry fibre as best I can today and monitor regularly and update you all later.
Thank you all again for your advice and vibes.
Craig xx
Poor Henry :( It's awful when they get like that :( I agree with no veg and just hay and some pellets maybe (depends if he'll eat a good amount of hay) if it doesn't improve, you could talk to your vet about fibre plex maybe, to up his fibre for a bit to help things settle down. Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Just picked some bramble leaves from the garden- have the scars to prove that. They are spikey little triffids. Henry had a sniff and definitely won’t be eating them. Now going to administer critical care so that’ll be a wrestling match and then get some fibre plex from vets

What is his hay eating like Craig ?

Thanks Jane. Well, he will nibble on it. I’ve put a big towel under the living room table and a big mound of hay on that. Henry had a pick at it about half an hour ago because Lillian was hungry. Put a dish of pellets and dried forage on the plate- various dried herby things and some other dried forage. Lillian tucked into cabbage but Henry chose to nibble small amount of dried forage and some bits of hay.
Graciee- Henry does drink from a bowl but we’re syringe feeding him water to keep him hydrated and he’s had a small amount of quite wet critical care.

Back