• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice on spaying a 2-3 year old bunny please.

A sad update :-(

I got the dreaded call from my vets today to say it was malignant. I think she said there was another one which was benign and also something about thickening of the uterus walls? Anyway, there is nothing we can do but wait and see if it has or does spread. She is going back to the vets beginning of January for another check up and I have to keep an eye out for change in behaviour, breathing difficulties, weight loss, not wanting to eat etc. The xray taken after her spay didn't show any spreading but the vet said it is aggressive and as it was in her lymphatics or something this means it could have spread to other lymphatic areas? (sorry if this doesn't make complete sense!) and it might not be big enough to show up yet. She mentioned something from the results about high rates of replications which I think means it is fast growing or spreading.
I thought the easiest thing would be to type out what the report said (I asked for a copy), I coudlnt' take it all in the phone call, If anyone has any knowledge of this type of cancer please let me know and please be brutally honest as I don't want to get my hope up if this really is likely to have spread:

Gross description:
Uterine masses.
a. A beige brown irregular wedge of tissue measuring 30x25x20mm. representative sections taken (3 sections)
b. A beige brown section of tubular tissue measuring 30x15x25mm with a sessile mass measuring 18x15mm. Transverse sections including inked margin taken (3 sections).
Histological description:
Uterus (6 sections). There are two distinct neoplastic processes within the uterus. Extending from the hyperplastic and expanded endometrium there is locally infiltrative, moderately well demarcated, moderately cellular, unencapsulated neoplasm variably arranged forming tubules, papillary structures, nests and cords supported by a moderately dense and proliferative stroma (desmoplasia). Neoplastic cells are large, polygonal, with indistinct cell borders, abundant eosinophilic cytoplasm that contains a single round to oval nucleus. Nuclei contain a single nucleolus and stippled chromatin. There is moderate anisokaryosis and anisocytosis, with 12 mitoses observed in ten high power fields. Neoplastic cells multifocally surround accumulations of basophilic material and rarely are identified in lymphatics. The neoplasm contains scattered low numbers of neutrophils, lymphocytes and plasma cells.
In addition the outer muscular wall is expanded by a moderately well demarcated, unencapsulated, densely cellular neoplasm arranged in short anastomosing streams and bundles, supported by a dense collagenous stroma. Neoplastic cells are moderate to large, plump spindloid, with abundant eosinophilic cytoplasm that contains a single, fusiform nucleus. Nuclei contain indistinct nucleoli and vesicular chromatin. There is mild anisocytosis and anisokaryosis, with less than 1 mitosis identified in 10 high power fields. Centrally the neoplasm small intestine replaced by necrotic debris that is focally mineralised.

Histological diagnosis:
1. Adenocarcinoma uterus
2. Leiomyoma uterus.
Comment:
The uterus contains two neoplastic masses. The endometrium is hyperplastic but there is segmental overt neoplastic transformation and infiltration, with atypia, mitoses and lymphatic invasion. These changes are consistant with progression to adenocarcinoma (rather than adenomyosis) that is accompanied by dense stromal proliferation presumed to represent desmoplasia. Given the focal lymphatic invasion, there is significant potential for metastasis and ovariohysterectomy may not prove curative in this case: periodic monitoring is recommended as a precaution.
Of lesser significance, the outer myometrium is expanded by a neoplasm of smooth muscle origin that is interpreted to represent a leiomyoma rather than leiomyosarcoma. Ovariohysterectomy is expected to prove curative for this neoplasm.

Thankyou

I got the dreaded call from my vets today to say it was malignant. I think she said there was another one which was benign and also something about thickening of the uterus walls? Anyway, there is nothing we can do but wait and see if it has or does spread. She is going back to the vets beginning of January for another check up and I have to keep an eye out for change in behaviour, breathing difficulties, weight loss, not wanting to eat etc. The xray taken after her spay didn't show any spreading but the vet said it is aggressive and as it was in her lymphatics or something this means it could have spread to other lymphatic areas? (sorry if this doesn't make complete sense!) and it might not be big enough to show up yet. She mentioned something from the results about high rates of replications which I think means it is fast growing or spreading.
I thought the easiest thing would be to type out what the report said (I asked for a copy), I coudlnt' take it all in the phone call, If anyone has any knowledge of this type of cancer please let me know and please be brutally honest as I don't want to get my hope up if this really is likely to have spread:

Gross description:
Uterine masses.
a. A beige brown irregular wedge of tissue measuring 30x25x20mm. representative sections taken (3 sections)
b. A beige brown section of tubular tissue measuring 30x15x25mm with a sessile mass measuring 18x15mm. Transverse sections including inked margin taken (3 sections).
Histological description:
Uterus (6 sections). There are two distinct neoplastic processes within the uterus. Extending from the hyperplastic and expanded endometrium there is locally infiltrative, moderately well demarcated, moderately cellular, unencapsulated neoplasm variably arranged forming tubules, papillary structures, nests and cords supported by a moderately dense and proliferative stroma (desmoplasia). Neoplastic cells are large, polygonal, with indistinct cell borders, abundant eosinophilic cytoplasm that contains a single round to oval nucleus. Nuclei contain a single nucleolus and stippled chromatin. There is moderate anisokaryosis and anisocytosis, with 12 mitoses observed in ten high power fields. Neoplastic cells multifocally surround accumulations of basophilic material and rarely are identified in lymphatics. The neoplasm contains scattered low numbers of neutrophils, lymphocytes and plasma cells.
In addition the outer muscular wall is expanded by a moderately well demarcated, unencapsulated, densely cellular neoplasm arranged in short anastomosing streams and bundles, supported by a dense collagenous stroma. Neoplastic cells are moderate to large, plump spindloid, with abundant eosinophilic cytoplasm that contains a single, fusiform nucleus. Nuclei contain indistinct nucleoli and vesicular chromatin. There is mild anisocytosis and anisokaryosis, with less than 1 mitosis identified in 10 high power fields. Centrally the neoplasm small intestine replaced by necrotic debris that is focally mineralised.

Histological diagnosis:
1. Adenocarcinoma uterus
2. Leiomyoma uterus.
Comment:
The uterus contains two neoplastic masses. The endometrium is hyperplastic but there is segmental overt neoplastic transformation and infiltration, with atypia, mitoses and lymphatic invasion. These changes are consistant with progression to adenocarcinoma (rather than adenomyosis) that is accompanied by dense stromal proliferation presumed to represent desmoplasia. Given the focal lymphatic invasion, there is significant potential for metastasis and ovariohysterectomy may not prove curative in this case: periodic monitoring is recommended as a precaution.
Of lesser significance, the outer myometrium is expanded by a neoplasm of smooth muscle origin that is interpreted to represent a leiomyoma rather than leiomyosarcoma. Ovariohysterectomy is expected to prove curative for this neoplasm.

Thankyou

I am sorry that this is the result of the histology :(

My understanding of the results are pretty much as you have described them, but I am not a medic. Two masses were found in the uterus. The leiomyoma in the uterine wall is benign. This is the equivalent of a fibroid in a human uterus, is harmless and has now been removed by the spay. The other mass, the adenocarcinoma, is sadly a malignant cancer. This has also now been removed by the spay and although no spread has been detected further than the lymphatic system, there is obviously the potential for the cells to travel within her body in the future and cause further problems. This is why the advice is to monitor closely for any changes.

Sending her lots of vibes.

As you have concluded there is nothing you can do other than to keep her under observation to detect any changes.

My understanding of the results are pretty much as you have described them, but I am not a medic. Two masses were found in the uterus. The leiomyoma in the uterine wall is benign. This is the equivalent of a fibroid in a human uterus, is harmless and has now been removed by the spay. The other mass, the adenocarcinoma, is sadly a malignant cancer. This has also now been removed by the spay and although no spread has been detected further than the lymphatic system, there is obviously the potential for the cells to travel within her body in the future and cause further problems. This is why the advice is to monitor closely for any changes.

As you have concluded there is nothing you can do other than to keep her under observation to detect any changes.

I agree with all Omi has posted. All you can do now is take things one day at a time. Weighing her a couple of times a week may be a good idea as often unexplained weight loss is the first sign of metastatic disease. This being followed by increased respiratory rate/effort, then a change in eating habits, preferring more 'natural' feeds such as grass, forage, hay rather than pellets. I really hope that she will have as much time remaining as possible. The one 'good' thing is that she has no concept of her diagnosis. Once she has recovered from her spay as far as she is concerned all is well. She wont have the worry of 'knowing', unfortunately that is what you will be doing xx

Aw What a shame! I am so sorry :cry: I have no advice except to make her life as happy as possible, which I am sure you will do.

I agree with all Omi has posted. All you can do now is take things one day at a time. Weighing her a couple of times a week may be a good idea as often unexplained weight loss is the first sign of metastatic disease. This being followed by increased respiratory rate/effort, then a change in eating habits, preferring more 'natural' feeds such as grass, forage, hay rather than pellets. I really hope that she will have as much time remaining as possible. The one 'good' thing is that she has no concept of her diagnosis. Once she has recovered from her spay as far as she is concerned all is well. She wont have the worry of 'knowing', unfortunately that is what you will be doing xx

Thankyou for the advice regarding what to look out for. I hadn't thought about that but it's true, she is blissfully unaware that I got any bad news today and she has recovered well from her spay so hopefully she can at least have a bit of time hopping around and being happy :)

hi, thankyou for confirming and explaining and thanks for the vibes. At least I can try and give her a bit of happy times for whatever time she might have left and know that as she has settled in with us so well already and that she appears to be a content bunny :) As I am typing she is licking my trousers, she just loves grooming us!

For her all that matters is the moment she is in. She has no worries about what may or may not happen tomorrow. I think us humans may find life a bit less stressful if we could all 'live in the moment'.

Sending lots more vibes :love:

I was just thinking about Hazel and how lucky she is that you adopted her when you did. I’m so glad you had the op done when you did and hopefully she will remain well for a long time to come. As Jane says, she is happy now in the moment and that’s all any rabbit could hope for :love:

I was just thinking about Hazel and how lucky she is that you adopted her when you did. I’m so glad you had the op done when you did and hopefully she will remain well for a long time to come. As Jane says, she is happy now in the moment and that’s all any rabbit could hope for :love:

I totally agree. The one definite fact in all of this, is that the longer she waited for the spay, the less likely it would be for a positive outcome.

For her all that matters is the moment she is in. She has no worries about what may or may not happen tomorrow. I think us humans may find life a bit less stressful if we could all 'live in the moment'.

Sending lots more vibes :love:

thankyou, vibes accepted :)

I will be very sad if I do lose her anytime soon, after losing Sammy in June who I had for nearly 9 years and then my other bunny Gingerbread in October who was about 8 (I had him for 4 years). But I wouldn't change things as she is so happy here after such a short time and so loving that I know that she is much better off here than still in the rescue. That gives me some comfort. She is very very happy today as it is now 10 days after her op and she has been doing great so she is now back to having full run again :)

I totally agree. The one definite fact in all of this, is that the longer she waited for the spay, the less likely it would be for a positive outcome.

yes, I am so glad I got her spayed so quickly, partly because of this forum and partly because she settled so quickly, there seemed no point in waiting until January like I was originally going to do!

I hope that she will be with you for a long time to come. She is very happy, of that I’m sure :love:

Update. Hazel had a checkup today. She's doing well. The vet said her lungs sounded good and she can't feel anything like growths. She has recovered well from the spey. She's eating and pooing well etc. She was about 2.7kg now she's 2.5kg but that is partly due to removing parts and could also be as I am not giving her many nuggets, just a small handful, mainly she eats grass, some veg and hay. I said I can give her more nuggets if I need to but the vet thinks she's fine as she is, we'll just keep an eye make sure it doesn't go down. One weird thing is just how much she keeps licking us, I thought it was just grooming but now wonder if it salt she is after. I bought her a salt lick which hasn't arrived yet and I am going to test to see if she wants it (i won't leave it with her). My vet thought she shouldn't need salt but maybe she was used to having more if she had a lot of nuggets in the rescue. Or it could just be grooming! I will experiment and find out. So for now she is doing well so i am very happy. We have to take her back in 2 months for another check up or before if anything changes. I am starting to look for a friend for her but maybe wait for her next 2 month check first to see if she is still ok.

Very pleased to see this positive update :D My guess is that Hazel is grooming you with her licking. Bunnies who have had lots of hand-on care in my experience become more friendly towards their care giver.

Very pleased to see this positive update :D My guess is that Hazel is grooming you with her licking. Bunnies who have had lots of hand-on care in my experience become more friendly towards their care giver.

thankyou :) The licking started after her spey when my partner lay in the floor next to her, she started licking his forehead, then his head, I put my head down and got my eyebrows licked! Now when you stroke her she sits for a while then decides to lick your hand all over, every inch and then starts again! If you try to stroke her she will not let you until she is finished, she just won't leave your hand alone, it is so funny and super cute!

Back