• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Adrenal gland hyperplasia

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
Hi

I suspect my male rabbit has adrenal gland hyperplasia. He is incessantly humping Winnie and is being aggressive- biting her back, nipping. He’s not eating because he’s so worked up (I posted this in another thread). It’s upsetting and it’s a bit like he’s lost the plot. He is chasing Winnie constantly and she’s miserable (as an I).

I’m hoping to speak to the RVC today (they have both been referred there), but does anyone know what options there are? I read something about an implant.

I’m exhausted as both of my rabbits have a number of issues. Zigzag is 12 and has bad arthritis and an ongoing respiratory issue.

Thanks in advance and apologies if my post is a bit short.

Jane has had success with implants in some rabbits before - hopefuly she will see this (or you could do a search for old posts).

Thank you both, how long do the effects last for? He buzzed at me a few times which was a new low!

And IM did your bunny exhibit similar behaviour to mine?
Thanks x

Thank you both, how long do the effects last for? He buzzed at me a few times which was a new low!

And IM did your bunny exhibit similar behaviour to mine?
Thanks x

Yes, the endless humping, spraying wee, buzzing. I had to separate them from their partners for a while, until the diagnosis was made and treatment started. They literally would not leave their partners alone. So they were both so stressed 24\7. The Bucks lost loads of weight as they were too obsessed with humping to eat much and what calories they did take in got burned off by their relentless activity. The effects of the implants lasted for about 5 months. It was less effective in one Rabbit who turned out to have a malignant type of AGH. Most tumours are benign.

Thanks JJ, this sounds exactly like Zigzag, it’s so upsetting. I’m sorry you had to go through it too.

I don’t really understand where it’s come from, but have emailed my vet x

Thanks JJ, this sounds exactly like Zigzag, it’s so upsetting. I’m sorry you had to go through it too.

I don’t really understand where it’s come from, but have emailed my vet x

I don’t know why it happens either. At least if it is what ZigZag has there is a treatment option that, IME, works. I was able to rebond all three pairs of Rabbits too, once the implants effects kicked in. Which if a remember rightly only took a few days.

I don’t know why it happens either. At least if it is what ZigZag has there is a treatment option that, IME, works. I was able to rebond all three pairs of Rabbits too, once the implants effects kicked in. Which if a remember rightly only took a few days.

Is there a test available to confirm this is the issue, or is it implanted on the basis of the symptoms?

Is there a test available to confirm this is the issue, or is it implanted on the basis of the symptoms?

Hormone profile blood panel and ultrasound of the abdomen can be done. Although my Bucks were treated on a presumed diagnosis which in all cases was confirmed at PM. Two did not pass away as a result of AGH but of unrelated conditions.

Good question Omi, due to Zigzag’s Randy behaviour I really don’t think he’d need to be tested.
I’m discussing options with my vet, and have mentioned the implant- thanks JJ

Just an update, he’s slightly calmed down but the RVC have recommended a hormone injection in the first instance..

Glad they agree with the implant. If you are seeing Nadine you are in great hands, but all the Vets there are good :)

I usually see Jo and Vicki, because Zigs is under the care of the exotics team. Although I’ve heard amazing things about Nadine :)

Here’s Zigs having his injection earlier today, he’s come home even hornier….I need to wait a week for his behaviour to hopefully change…. It’s going to be a long week.

4e2c53e26685a027e81ebcd898f51d99.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually see Jo and Vicki, because Zigs is under the care of the exotics team. Although I’ve heard amazing things about Nadine :)

Here’s Zigs having his injection earlier today, he’s come home even hornier….I need to wait a week for his behaviour to hopefully change…. It’s going to be a long week.

4e2c53e26685a027e81ebcd898f51d99.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really hope it calms him down x

Well he’s hornier than ever right now! I have no idea how he has the energy!

I think it may last a few months, and they would then replace with the implant.

Back