• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Acute Bloat-Very Sick Lizzie- Kale to Blame?-U/D Recovered :-)

Hope Lizzie is feeling much better soon. I wouldnt rule out Kale as the cause as I couldnt be sure it wasnt the cause of a bout of not eating for a few hours occasionally in some of my buns.
All my bunnies love it though. I do try to make sure if I give it that its given with greens or something else they have regularly too.

:wave: hi jane im glad shes on the mend.

my bif has ultra sensitive gi tract and dental issues so all greens affect her but kale have her gas and tummy ache terrible and she only had a little of it:shock:

willow loved it..bandit loved it...bertie wasnt fussed but got abit grumpy later on..rob tummy ache.

since we lost willow we have too much spring greens so me and me mum are trying to split the whole spring greens we get from grocers for 89p between one frenchie one dwarfie one dwarfie sized and a lionhead..itll last all week or more as we dont let them have much at least i dont..my mum feeds her loads twice a day and her tums fine and she hasnt got gi probs she didnt on kale but either way she weees nasty form too much greens..pheweeee

berties only had spring greens at the beginning of getting ill...i gave him some last week and he got colicky and his poos truend weeny and shiny and black and he was very very miserable. i havent dared try him even with small bits of spring greens let alone kale.

its tricky some buns can toelrate it all of the time some some of the time some never....i wished we didnt feel like fialures when ours are the buns who cant tolerate even some veggies let laone the huge piles oyu see in th epictures which makes us feel bad bunny mummys!!

i wished we didnt feel like fialures when ours are the buns who cant tolerate even some veggies let laone the huge piles oyu see in th epictures which makes us feel bad bunny mummys!!

the huge piles you see are built up over several months... i weighed every last piece of veg for months to get to the stage where alvin and pearl can eat a big bowl full without any reactions ;)

each new veg always starts off at less than 25g for at least a week before its increased slowly :D

I hope I am not being a bad bunny mum but mine love Kale and broccoli (and spinach, and carrot and spring greens and cabbage) and I give them loads of veg. If they have been having it for 12 months and seem ok I am guessing they are ok to continue would you think??? Ask Kayj I'm a worrying bunny mum :lol:

I haven't tried Curely Kale with Morgan, but I know that she just loves brocolli. It doesn't bother her, but I try to limit it to once or twice a week. I've always stayed away from Cabbage, ever since my father put a pile of it in my my old buns cage. Good thing Belle wasn't too interested in it. I was worried sick. But, Morgan likes Parsely and doesn't react to it.

Sending more vibes for a full recovery.

Lizzie appears to have made a good recovery. I think it really is just that some Buns react badly to certain Veg. I think if your Bun has always been fine with Kale then I see no reason to stop feeding it.
Lizzie is a Rex and I am absolutely convinced that Rexes have more GI problems that other Rabbits.

Thank you for all the vibes for poor Lizzie's sore tummy

Our two bunnies do love Kale but we have read that it can cause tummy problems, depends on the rabbit I suppose. We seem to be able to give it to ours without problems. I have read that sprout leaves can do the same and our buns love those too!

Back