• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

6th bun with stasis since November - Snowflake - U/d post #124

I expect Snowflake is feeling rather tired having been so poorly. It may take a couple more days before she is fully back to normal. I hope that you get on OK at the Vet's this afternoon xx
Yes, that's what I thought so I'm leaving her to rest. She had a nose around just now and then went back for a drink and flopped on her side. She's been through a lot so I'm not surprised she's worn out poor girl

I'll be thinking of you this afternoon and hope Snowflake gets on well at the vet.

It's an interesting debate about Panacur, EC, stasis, and I think everything needs to be weighed up. One of my rabbits had a severe reaction to Panacur, and although I still use it, I feel no drug is without it's side effects.

Good luck xx
Yes, that's why up until all this I never used it. I think as you say it all has to be weighed up and it's dependant on your rabbit's situation. Obviously if a rabbit does have EC there's no choice but to use it. But as a regular preventative I don't think I'll personally be using it anymore, not unless there's a particular reason to.

Yes, I wouldn't personally want to use Panacur as a preventative. But, I still don't think there's an easy way to know whether a rabbit actually has EC. I really think that when my bunnies were having stasis time and time again, if they'd been diagnosed earlier with the EC (they didn't have the traditional symptoms), they wouldn't have ended up with such permanent gut problems.

I'm trying some other ideas at the moment. Right now the important thing is that Snowflake is doing well. I'm hoping I might get some emeprid or something today to keep her going on the right track, assuming my vet feels thats a good idea

I think that getting her some Emeprid that you can give her at home sounds like a good idea. I like to carry on giving it for a couple of days after a big stasis episode just to be sure!

I think that getting her some Emeprid that you can give her at home sounds like a good idea. I like to carry on giving it for a couple of days after a big stasis episode just to be sure!

I would've thought the vet would supply all the necessary gut meds to take home??

I would've thought the vet would supply all the necessary gut meds to take home??
I don't think he's all that experienced with rabbits to be honest. That's why I usually like to see Karolina as she's really good with them. I must admit I was quite surprised that he didn't give anything but then he thought we were transfering her to Vets Now overnight (which we were going to do but couldn't find a way to pay for it so they wouldn't have been able to have her). Still, would have been a good idea to have given us something I'd have thought :? All he gave her was metacam.

She saw the vet today and she was very happy with her. She said she could hear good movement and tested for dehydration and said that she doesn't seem dehydrated anymore (her urine went back to normal colour earlier today too). She was in a rush so I couldn't ask everything I wanted to, they were really busy and short staffed today. I felt sorry for them, they were all overloaded I think. But they all seemed happy to see that she'd made it through. The vet said she was very happy with her. She said use the metacam but only as long as she's eating, drinking and still producing droppings, otherwise stop immediately. She said if she slowed down eating or with her droppings at all to call back and they'll give me some metaclop for her straight away, it's been put down that she's authorised it already so I can just collect it.
Hopefully we won't have to, she does seem to be doing well. She's been eating a lot of hay which is brilliant. Droppings are still a long way from normal and she's got some that are large and soft, most are very small and hard but they're there which is the main thing. I think she's on the right track so all going well I think she's made it through. Just need to be careful she doesn't go back down again. The vet did want me to continue syringe feeding and giving fibreplex but Snowflake's having none of it. It took me nearly 15 mins just to get her to take the metacam tonight. Problem is it's stressing her out which I obviously don't want at the moment, so I'm not sure if I'm better off leaving her alone as she is eating.
Not much more to update on as she's about the same as she was this morning. A little stressed from the vet's visit but otherwise good and still eating etc :)

It sounds like she is doing really well. You did a great job getting her through it :D
It's always a tough one when they fight against their meds/CC and you are left wondering whether it's doing them more harm than good. I never know what to do for the best in that situation either!
How often are you going to syringe feed her? If you see her eating lots of food during the day then maybe you could get away with just giving her some CC with some Metacam before you go to bed. That way it will give you some peace of mind whilst you finally get some sleep!
Xx

How often are you going to syringe feed her?
How often am I managing to or how often am I attempting? :lol: I've been attempting all day but she's actually taken very little. I don't want to force it down and choke her but my goodness she's an awkward, stubborn little thing! She wriggles out, runs away and gives me a good, loud thump to let me know how much I've upset her! When she's made her mind up about something she wants or doesn't want she let's you know it!
Oh it's so good to see her personality back to normal though :D

Edit: Oh, that's the other thing I forgot. Ever since last night every time I try to feed her by syinge she runs over to the hay and starts eating. I can't help but feel she somehow knows and is doing it on purpose as she knows I'll leave her alone if I see her eating!

Last edited:
I don't think he's all that experienced with rabbits to be honest. That's why I usually like to see Karolina as she's really good with them. I must admit I was quite surprised that he didn't give anything but then he thought we were transfering her to Vets Now overnight (which we were going to do but couldn't find a way to pay for it so they wouldn't have been able to have her). Still, would have been a good idea to have given us something I'd have thought :? All he gave her was metacam.

She saw the vet today and she was very happy with her. She said she could hear good movement and tested for dehydration and said that she doesn't seem dehydrated anymore (her urine went back to normal colour earlier today too). She was in a rush so I couldn't ask everything I wanted to, they were really busy and short staffed today. I felt sorry for them, they were all overloaded I think. But they all seemed happy to see that she'd made it through. The vet said she was very happy with her. She said use the metacam but only as long as she's eating, drinking and still producing droppings, otherwise stop immediately. She said if she slowed down eating or with her droppings at all to call back and they'll give me some metaclop for her straight away, it's been put down that she's authorised it already so I can just collect it.
Hopefully we won't have to, she does seem to be doing well. She's been eating a lot of hay which is brilliant. Droppings are still a long way from normal and she's got some that are large and soft, most are very small and hard but they're there which is the main thing. I think she's on the right track so all going well I think she's made it through. Just need to be careful she doesn't go back down again. The vet did want me to continue syringe feeding and giving fibreplex but Snowflake's having none of it. It took me nearly 15 mins just to get her to take the metacam tonight. Problem is it's stressing her out which I obviously don't want at the moment, so I'm not sure if I'm better off leaving her alone as she is eating.
Not much more to update on as she's about the same as she was this morning. A little stressed from the vet's visit but otherwise good and still eating etc :)

This is great news! Snowflake seems to be doing really well now!

I'm rather annoyed (well angry if I'm honest) that you've had all this hooha with your vet. It really shouldn't have been that complicated! I mean, you had enough on your plate being frantic about Snowflake without bloomin vets making it worse for you :roll:

Good girl Snowflake & you. I really wish getting your bunny well could have been less stressful. I wish you all the luck in the world recovering from the financial side xx

She's been a bit quiet today but has had a little bit of a run around, even a couple of binkies :D She's eating but still only small amounts. Just hay and herbs at the moment, won't touch anything else. Droppings are still small and still not a huge amount. I wouldn't expect her to be back to normal yet but I'm not sure if her progress is a little slow. I'm debating whether or not to call my vet and ask for the emeprid just to be safe.
Thanks for asking xx

She's been a bit quiet today but has had a little bit of a run around, even a couple of binkies :D She's eating but still only small amounts. Just hay and herbs at the moment, won't touch anything else. Droppings are still small and still not a huge amount. I wouldn't expect her to be back to normal yet but I'm not sure if her progress is a little slow. I'm debating whether or not to call my vet and ask for the emeprid just to be safe.
Thanks for asking xx

I would do that. Personally I'd want her to remain on it until her output is significantly improved xx

Thanks for asking xx

I would do this for sure :)

Thanks Jane and RoxyRoller - I just called them but turns out it's not been put on the notes. They've only got one vet in at the moment and it isn't my normal vet so she's suggested as long as she seems stable to keep her going tonight and she'll ask my vet first thing in the morning and I should be able to collect it then. Obviously the receptionist can't authorise it without the vet so there's not a lot that can be done. I'm a little upset to be honest that I wasn't given it straight away, Cody was given it with no problem :? But not a lot I can do.
She seems to be about the same as she has been, not really improving but not getting any worse so hopefully she'll be okay for tonight.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking xx

Yes, I was very surprised with all the effort and expense you've put in, that the vet didn't supply you with the complete kit of gut motility meds!

Well good news is I just had a very enthusiastic response to offering some dried herbs/dandelions :D She finished the lot very quickly. She's also been begging for more. Unfortunately that's the last of them so I'll go up Morrisons tomorrow and get some more for her. I'm going up there anyway because while doing their veg last night I got the nasty surprise of finding slug poison at the bottom of the greens :censored: needless to say I didn't use them and they're going back tomorrow.

Back