• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Acute Bloat-Very Sick Lizzie- Kale to Blame?-U/D Recovered :-)

I am sometimes struggling to find something which is low in calcium and which doesn't give bloat. And am not sure how much I should feed them. I know people who feed their bunnies a big amout of veggies every day, and others just give them very little. What is the general opinion on celery?

Mine all seem to like celery chopped into chunks

The pairs get a heaped bowl of mixed veg between them, my foster gets half the amount

I bought broccoli for them this week for the first time - typical!!

Mrs Bun loves kale.Loves parsley too and other herbs/veg that Ive checked up on.Not had any problems but I think I will be a little more cautious in future.

I've never really fed kale, but I now never feed broccoli after a few nasty episodes in a couple of my buns.

Although it is nice to treat them to something special once in a while, I now play it safe with the same 'boring' veg every day: Cabbage/brussels/spring greens, lettuce, carrots and celery.

I am sometimes struggling to find something which is low in calcium and which doesn't give bloat. And am not sure how much I should feed them. I know people who feed their bunnies a big amout of veggies every day, and others just give them very little. What is the general opinion on celery?

must admit i do get confused too of whats ok in a handfull and whats ok say once every now and then

i grow my own kale so i havent the worry of the gases and chemicals they use, green grocers still do kale not in a bag, must admit i was miffed when supermarkets only did it in the bag, like my water cress which i buy in a bag, i wash it first and only give a small stem as a treat,

sending soothing tummy vibes i think we all hate having bloat

its all confusing my vet was surprised i fed celery, brussels is supposed to cause bloat, parsley high calcium arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cant have to many carrots, im just going by what my buns like and in moderation i think

To be honest I only usually feed Greens and very occassionally a slither of Carrot. I only bought the Kale as Tesco had no greens delivered and I did not have time to go elsewhere.

I often see piccies of Buns with a mountain of Veg infront of them and I wonder if I am being mean by only feeding mine a small amount :?

I have been up all night with Lizzie who became very unwell yesterday evening. She has bloat which came on within an hour. She has had treatment and is still with us. She may require 'tubing' later today :cry:

The only thing that I think might have caused this is some Curly Kale. She seldom has it but did yesterday morning.
Has anyone else had problems feeding Kale to their Buns?

:cry:

Hope not, I have just given mine some this morning:shock:

Tescos didn't have spring greens when I placed my order a few days ago. I ordered something called "cabbage greens" instead, which looked similar on the photo. But I hadn't read the title properly, it actually said "cabbage green". So now I have 4 heads of green cabbage. Is that ok for bunnies?
I also thought that sprouts can cause bloat, at least in humans. I give small pieces of carrot and apple about once a week.
During summer it is easier, because I can add some hazel, strawberry and dandelion leaves from our garden. But even the yellow hazel and birch leaves that are falling off the trees now, are quite popular. Snoopy always tries to suck them through the wire mesh into the run.

To be honest I only usually feed Greens and very occassionally a slither of Carrot. I only bought the Kale as Tesco had no greens delivered and I did not have time to go elsewhere.

I often see piccies of Buns with a mountain of Veg infront of them and I wonder if I am being mean by only feeding mine a small amount :?

I too thought this Jane, so increased the veg :oops: only to be told decrease it by the vet! :)

My two are off all kale & Brocoli and I am just going mad on hay and a handful of readi grass. I have now added dil because it is a very good cleanser for urine infections :D

I usually give less vegetables during winter, as that it the time when they get bloat more often (from my experience only). Wild bunnies don't find so much fresh grass and other food in winter, either. For indoor bunnies I probably wouldn't change the amount, though.
I think it is better to feed only small amounts, once or twice a day.

me i have a budget 3 pounds a week and whatever i can get for that,
and to save time i will chop it all up into one bowl and divide according to the size of the rabbit, and to how many in a group, i mean this week i did a salad of greens, cabbage, watercress, carrot, brocolli, celery, sprouts, tomatoes without the seeds, (all that i managed to get for 3 quid :D )and one chopped apple between 14 buns then added fresh mint, parsely, lavender, dandelion, (homegrown )
sounds alot but once divided theres not a lot but it gives variation, and those who dont like a certain veg another bun with eat it, but this i make stretch twice a week,
the rest of the week they get oat wheat and barley hay, timmy hay, and dried herbs, i do this mainly to try and save me on pellets, though feeding the babies you'd think im starving them :roll:

How did you get all that for £3??? :shock:

I have 6 rabbits to feed and spend at least £5 on them a week plus the free lettuce, carrot peel and cabbage I get from work (I'm probably one of those people guilty of feeding 'heaps' of veg though).

How did you get all that for £3??? :shock:

I have 6 rabbits to feed and spend at least £5 on them a week plus the free lettuce, carrot peel and cabbage I get from work (I'm probably one of those people guilty of feeding 'heaps' of veg though).

Im probably guilty of that with marsha and casper but both are a good weight and are outside :oops:

I spend about £3-4 for 4 bunnies a week.

I only feed it as a treat occassionally now as I found out about it not being very good for them. Did used to give it to Sooty all the time only problem I had was the sticky poo.

i go to the tescos reduced bit and lidl and aldi do offers of the week which is around 39p i scout around for bargains to get more for my money the down side is most of it has to be used quick

I don't give it to my bunny, as in the past my guineas had problems with it and had the runs, so I don't bother with it when there are other alternatives. I don't give a huge amount of fruit and veg, really only one treat a day; perhaps a bit of carrot, a bit of apple, a few sprigs of parsely or a small amount of spring greens. He does have greens dailiy first thing in the morning, but they are the natural variety, fresh cut grass, dandelion leaves and flowers, clover, plantain etc.

The hungry horse where I used to get my hay has it growing in their fields and they let me pick it for the buns which I usually do about once a week when it's around and they haven't had any adverse reaction to it. I do only feed it to my lot tho, they have proven hardy GI systems, the rescues tend to get the greens and what not from Tescos.

No kale problems here, either

In fact they go mad for it, but they never get a lot of it anyway as it's usually one component in a bunny salad of 7 or 8 different items.

i forgot to add when i posted earlier... mine get a handful of kale every day as well as other veg... alvin only gets poorly if im late so im convinced its not the veg that upsets him, his refusal to eat veg is usually how i know hes on hunger strike

glad shes starting to feel better :D

Back