• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

6th bun with stasis since November - Snowflake - U/d post #124

Well good news is I just had a very enthusiastic response to offering some dried herbs/dandelions :D She finished the lot very quickly. She's also been begging for more. Unfortunately that's the last of them so I'll go up Morrisons tomorrow and get some more for her. I'm going up there anyway because while doing their veg last night I got the nasty surprise of finding slug poison at the bottom of the greens :censored: needless to say I didn't use them and they're going back tomorrow.

:shock: :censored:
I use Morrisons herbs a lot so thanks for the warning. I'll pay a bit more attention to them now I think!

Well good news is I just had a very enthusiastic response to offering some dried herbs/dandelions :D She finished the lot very quickly. She's also been begging for more. Unfortunately that's the last of them so I'll go up Morrisons tomorrow and get some more for her. I'm going up there anyway because while doing their veg last night I got the nasty surprise of finding slug poison at the bottom of the greens :censored: needless to say I didn't use them and they're going back tomorrow.

That's shocking! :shock:

It was inside the spring greens, the herbs seem good. I use Morrisons a lot too, I find Asda's aren't as fresh and Tesco's are good but their store is a bit further away for me. I actually found them in some celery a good few years back - can't remember where they were from now, might have been Asda, might have been Morrisons - when I was giving it to Willow. There were loads of them inside the leaves and grooves of the celery. Since then I have always checked vegetables very thoroughly. If I'd missed that it would almost cerainly have killed the bunnies, or at least made them very ill. And I'm guessing it would have done the same to a human. So I think it's very poor of them to be using that on something intended to be used as food!

Don't want to keep posting now that she's better but I thought you might all like to know that Snowflake has improved a lot tonight. She's been running around for the past four hours and has barely taken any time to rest except to clean herself. She's had a mad binky frenzy and she's gone back to her cheeky self :D She's also eating huge amounts of hay (and the corner of one of my science books :roll:). Her droppings have also returned to almost completely normal. So looks like she's really picking up now :D

Don't want to keep posting now that she's better but I thought you might all like to know that Snowflake has improved a lot tonight. She's been running around for the past four hours and has barely taken any time to rest except to clean herself. She's had a mad binky frenzy and she's gone back to her cheeky self :D She's also eating huge amounts of hay (and the corner of one of my science books :roll:). Her droppings have also returned to almost completely normal. So looks like she's really picking up now :D

Excellent news :) I'm so relieved for you!
Nose rubs for Snowflake :love:
Xxx

Wonderful !! :D

Great news:thumb:

Great news! xx

I know I said I wouldn't keep posting and annoying you all so I'll try to make this the last time :p She's got some emeprid now and I just bought her some mixed forage from P@H which she loves. All going well today, eating is still in small amounts but everything else is about normal and she's definitely back to herself. All looking good!
Thank you all so much for all your help, support and advice. I truly think that is was a combination of everything that got her through, and I don't think she'd have made it without all of you. So thank you :D xx

Really pleased that Snowflake is feeling better. What did the slug poison look like?
Blue pellets. I've seen it before, I checked with my Mum too and she said yes it's slug poison. Thankfully I'm careful to look for things like that but wow, if I'd missed it.. Really shouldn't be allowed. I know they probably need some kind of pest control but surely not sprinkling poison over what is intended to be food.

Post away! What kind of rabbit forum we'd be if we didn't like stories about buns getting better. She's done so well :love: with you behind her

Blue pellets. I've seen it before, I checked with my Mum too and she said yes it's slug poison. Thankfully I'm careful to look for things like that but wow, if I'd missed it.. Really shouldn't be allowed. I know they probably need some kind of pest control but surely not sprinkling poison over what is intended to be food.

Saw a story about a similar thing here, with guinea pigs :(

Hey - me again (sorry!). Wasn't going to bother you all with anything else but I'm just being typical me about things (paranoid).. Just wondering how long it usually takes to recover from a serious stasis episode? All the bunnies I've had in stasis before have gone back to normal pretty quickly. Usually after a couple of days at best you'd never know any different. Snowflake is still doing very well, in herself she's completely back to normal. Even back to begging for food - as long as it's the 'right' food! She's a playful bunny and she's back to digging, throwing her rattles and balls, binkying and running around non stop. But in terms of eating she's still a bit off of her food. She's become very picky, though that's probably a result of being given only her favourite foods while she was ill :roll: but she's also not finishing her veg at night. It tends to sit there for quite a few hours and she goes back and picks at it. I've made some alterations to their diet, nothing drastic but I've reduced their veg amount fairly considerably (not sure if I've overdone it or if it's about right at the moment) and have removed almost all actual vegetables in favour of herbs. Along with them they've had a very small amount of spring greens, rocket and a very very small amount of cavolo nero (just using the last of it up very slowly) during the week, but many nights it's just been herbs. I've included mint a little more but other than those minor changes everything is the same. No new foods except some dried forage. Just slightly different amounts. Snowflake has refused Fibafirst since the whole thing started so instead she gets a little dried forage from P@H (rabbit safe one) and a bit of Rosewood Dandelion Salad in the mornings. She's been eagerly eating that and has been eating a lot of hay. So I'm not sure if I should be worried or not? She's certainly eating, just smaller amounts and she's much more picky.
I'm probably just being paranoid.. I was just hoping someone else could maybe give me their input and tell me I'm worrying too much? :oops::mrgreen::p
Oh, I gave her the emeprid for a couple of days but it was really stressing her out. She's a bunny who adores attention but it terrified of being picked up (you'll usually get bitten for trying!), and she doesn't make it easy to give her medication unless you're holding her. She's had enough of syringes and runs away if you try, so it was a balance of the benefit of the emeprid vs stressing her out and possibly sending her into stasis through stress. I still have about half left and she hasn't had it for a couple of days, but she doesn't seem to have deteriorated without it.

Maybe be a bit more like Thumps who lets her bunny choose what he wants, as long as it's all nutritional. As long as she is eating something then maybe she just needs more time to get back to normal. Wonder why she is refusing the FF?

Hey - me again (sorry!). Wasn't going to bother you all with anything else but I'm just being typical me about things (paranoid).. Just wondering how long it usually takes to recover from a serious stasis episode? All the bunnies I've had in stasis before have gone back to normal pretty quickly. Usually after a couple of days at best you'd never know any different. Snowflake is still doing very well, in herself she's completely back to normal. Even back to begging for food - as long as it's the 'right' food! She's a playful bunny and she's back to digging, throwing her rattles and balls, binkying and running around non stop. But in terms of eating she's still a bit off of her food. She's become very picky, though that's probably a result of being given only her favourite foods while she was ill :roll: but she's also not finishing her veg at night. It tends to sit there for quite a few hours and she goes back and picks at it. I've made some alterations to their diet, nothing drastic but I've reduced their veg amount fairly considerably (not sure if I've overdone it or if it's about right at the moment) and have removed almost all actual vegetables in favour of herbs. Along with them they've had a very small amount of spring greens, rocket and a very very small amount of cavolo nero (just using the last of it up very slowly) during the week, but many nights it's just been herbs. I've included mint a little more but other than those minor changes everything is the same. No new foods except some dried forage. Just slightly different amounts. Snowflake has refused Fibafirst since the whole thing started so instead she gets a little dried forage from P@H (rabbit safe one) and a bit of Rosewood Dandelion Salad in the mornings. She's been eagerly eating that and has been eating a lot of hay. So I'm not sure if I should be worried or not? She's certainly eating, just smaller amounts and she's much more picky.
I'm probably just being paranoid.. I was just hoping someone else could maybe give me their input and tell me I'm worrying too much? :oops::mrgreen::p
Oh, I gave her the emeprid for a couple of days but it was really stressing her out. She's a bunny who adores attention but it terrified of being picked up (you'll usually get bitten for trying!), and she doesn't make it easy to give her medication unless you're holding her. She's had enough of syringes and runs away if you try, so it was a balance of the benefit of the emeprid vs stressing her out and possibly sending her into stasis through stress. I still have about half left and she hasn't had it for a couple of days, but she doesn't seem to have deteriorated without it.

When monitoring GI tract motility what comes out is as relevant as what Bun is eating :) So what are Snowflake's poos like in terms of size/quantity ?

Don't say sorry - I love to hear from you and Snowflake :)

It can take a few days for a rabbit to get back to normal after quite a serious stasis episode. You are right not to alter her diet much until she is feeling much better.

Poos will be smaller, and probably blacker if she's not eating as much hay as previously.

You don't think she's being picky because you've cut out foods she used to enjoy? (or cut them down ...)

Back