• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few of the cats!

❤️❤️

Do hairless cats always need to wear coats ?

Can they go out or does that pose more risks than it does to cats with fur ? I am guessing they might be at risk of harm from strong sunshine. But I wondered if their appearance makes other cats they will meet outside more likely to pick on them ?

❤️❤️

Do hairless cats always need to wear coats ?

Can they go out or does that pose more risks than it does to cats with fur ? I am guessing they might be at risk of harm from strong sunshine. But I wondered if their appearance makes other cats they will meet outside more likely to pick on them ?
Once the weather gets warmer she will be okay without one on. She sometimes strips herself when I'm out anyway but she loves to snuggle under blankets and the duvet to keep warm.

They are not suited to being outdoor cats as they can't retain their body heat like normal cats can. They are also prone to sunburn so would need sun cream on!

I wondered if my cats would see her as a cat due to her looks, but they certainly seem to have done. They haven't treated her any different than a cat with hair!

Once the weather gets warmer she will be okay without one on. She sometimes strips herself when I'm out anyway but she loves to snuggle under blankets and the duvet to keep warm.

They are not suited to being outdoor cats as they can't retain their body heat like normal cats can. They are also prone to sunburn so would need sun cream on!

I wondered if my cats would see her as a cat due to her looks, but they certainly seem to have done. They haven't treated her any different than a cat with hair!

Yeh, I figured they’d be at risk of sunburn x

I never though of a cat getting sunburn, yet it makes sense.
All of them are so lovely. So you have a house of females.

I assume that furless beasties are also more prone to physical skin damage as there isn't the buffer of fur eg from general outdoor scratches / rubbing, or after the inevitable cat squabble.

My dogs (lurchers) have very thin skin and varying amounts of fur, from standard very short greyhound type with no undercoat, to rough coated. It's so much more noticeable that the thinner furred ones get a lot more scratches than the longer coated one. I sometimes have to use dog coats or jumpers to reduce the risk of skin damage, especially if they are running free with loads of bushes and brambles around.

Back